Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone sell anything?

Thanks

Default Re: Does anyone sell anything?

It is crazy to me that FPN has never fixed the problem and reestablished its for sale section, I know that I had much more success buying pens off FPN than FP Geeks.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boston Brian For This Useful Post:

aimi (March 12th, 2022), Bisquitlips (March 25th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,510 Times in 4,019 Posts

I've just received a lovely bottle of ink from across the pond that was sent by a seller on here. Not many US sellers are up for sending stuff to the UK but happily this particular one was.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

I've bought several things here over the past year--a few pens, a lot of ink, a pen folio. And received a wonderful PIF leather notebook cover. Nothing but good experiences. And I'll definitely sell pens here too once I take care of (gestures vaguely at everything, including personal laziness).

Thanks

Just looking at the "SOLD" designations on items does not necessarily mean that the pen sold on FPGeeks. I have bought and sold a lot of pens for my hobby and I will often list an item here, also on eBay, and I used to do FPN too, before they stopped having classifieds. When a pen sells I will usually show the pen as being sold, even if it did not sell here on FPGeeks.

As a preface let me say that I am old and have been selling much of my various collections. So, just speaking from my own experience I used to get a lot more sales on FPGeeks and FPN than I do now. It seems at some point I started getting a lot of lookers but no buyers and no interest at all (based on lack of comments left). So now I usually list the better pens or more interesting pens here in addition to listing them on eBay. But still there is no interest. I'll lower the prices below what I am asking on eBay. still no interest. I've only sold 4 pens here since last fall. In the same time period I've sold about 45 on eBay. (I've been selling most of my collection thats why the high numbers)

I'd much rather sell pens here than on eBay, because I like the community and the fact that eBay charges a commission. But its just not possible, again from my own experience.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,078 Times in 4,024 Posts

Something to keep in mind if you are looking at this situation over a period of time: the market changes. Not only does the FPG forums have a waxing and waning of number of active participants, but in the last 5 years the market for used pens has changed a lot. If before then the larger number of pens bought and sold were vintage, older pens, there is now an active market for much more recent pens. I am regularly a bit astonished by some of the new, younger collectors who constantly do "catch-and-release" of new pens, buying something to see if it works for them and, if not, selling in at one of the many places one can do this. As such, if you used to sell a lot of vintage pens, that may not be an active market these days. Just something to take into consideration.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I've sold a few pens here and really love my interaction with this "pen community" so far, it's been fun to give folks here the chance to buy them.

I agree though that if this is the defacto marketplace for both FPG and FPN - it doesn't't seem to get as much traffic as I remember either forum getting. Maybe technology has passed me by (again). I really dread trying eBay, or as my son suggested -reddit.

A slew of my pens (some listed here) are going to the Baltimore pen show this weekend with FredRyder - hope that finds some of them new homes.

We'll see...

Thanks

There are a lot of places these days to sell pens. Some have a lot of traffic, some less so. Different markets for different kinds of pens. Some pens sell fast, some take a long time, some never move. So many variables, you just have to find the place(s) you feel comfortable and just get down to it.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pen Tom View Post
    I'd much rather sell pens here than on eBay, because I like the community and the fact that eBay charges a commission. But its just not possible, again from my own experience.
    Well, I hope you'll at least give us a headsup on what you're selling elsewhere. I admit I look more than I buy, but that's because I can't buy them all and I have made several nice purchases here.

Scot

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Yup. Look at people's feedback score.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pen Tom View Post
    Let me know if you’re ever trying to get rid of a Nakaya or a Namiki

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Wow! I didn't think this post would generate this much of a response but I'm starting to feel much more comfortable in selling on FPG.

Thanks for all of the input.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Thanks

I don't have many and I don't sell anything. That said, I have given away several and introduced my granddaughters to the use of FP, and recently a 1958 Smith Corona Silent

Thanks

I recall the first items I listed on ebay about, I guess, 15 years ago. They weren't pens. I was so excited when each of these three auction listings added "watchers." By the day the listings were set to end, one had 5 or 6, another 9 and the last one over 10. All three also had a bid apiece. I was sure they would each get at least a few more bids and end up selling for really nice prices. I mean they had to. Why would someone bother to "watch" an item if they weren't going to bid on it?

Two of them ended with just the one bid and the last one got a second bid.

I tell this little anecdote to make the obvious point that whatever you are selling, the majority of people who look at your listing or "watch" it at ebay have no real interest in buying it. For any pen listed here, the number of people who look at the listing and genuinely plan to buy the listed item are a minority, and usually a small or even tiny or microscopic minority. This applies to even popular pens that sell quickly and it is so even in good economic times. The good news is, you only need one from that minority.

Having written the above, I hasten to add that I've sold a lot here and am grateful for this forum and for those who look and those that buy.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Zhivago For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (March 14th, 2022), Chrissy (March 14th, 2022), Jon Szanto (March 14th, 2022), manoeuver (July 20th, 2022), penwash (March 14th, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (March 22nd, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    I am a redditor. Selling on a subreddit like r/penswap, or whatever it's called requires adherence to a labyrinthine set of rules, many of which are utterly unnecessary. Frankly speaking, as long as one uses Paypal as the medium of exchange there really isn't a need for many other rules. As such it has put me off even attempting it. By contrast I listed a pen on a Facebook group, of which I am a member, and it sold within minutes much to my surprise and delight. Movement of sales in that group has felt fairly brisk in any case.
    I'm recently getting back to fountain pens. I'm a user, not a collector. Just looking for a few "right" pens to use daily. I agree that the rules on r/penswap are overkill. But I suppose if you deal with the masses, thee rules may be needed. /sigh/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zhivago View Post
    the majority of people who look at your listing or "watch" it at ebay have no real interest in buying it.
    What is worse, eBay had done some tinkering with the whole "watch" thing of late. When someone watches your listing now, the seller starts getting dunned to offer the watcher a lower price. So what happens, people start to watch your item in expectation of getting a lower offer from you. This is what frustrates me about selling both here and on eBay; no mater how fair your price is, nobody will go for it until they get their low-ball offer met. It angers me to get PMs with offers a fraction of the asking price, many of which come from established sellers themselves who are looking to pick up a cheap inventory of pens so they can flip them on their own.
    Last edited by markofp; March 23rd, 2022 at 07:54 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to markofp For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (March 27th, 2022), Zhivago (March 23rd, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by markofp View Post
    the majority of people who look at your listing or "watch" it at ebay have no real interest in buying it.
    What is worse, eBay had done some tinkering with the whole "watch" thing of late. When someone watches your listing now, the seller starts getting dunned to offer the watcher a lower price. So what happens, people start to watch your item in expectation of getting a lower offer from you. This is what frustrates me about selling both here and on eBay; no mater how fair your price is, nobody will go for it until they get their low-ball offer met. It angers me to get PMs with offers a fraction of the asking price, many of which come from established sellers themselves who are looking to pick up a cheap inventory of pens so they can flip them on their own.

That doesn't bother me on eBay. You don't have to send out an offer just because they suggest it. I'm a collector, not a dealer but I've been selling my pens here, on eBay and on Fountain Pen Network when they had a classified section for many years. Some people are always going to try to get a better deal on any of the sites. If they want to buy too cheaply, you don't have to sell. But you have to weigh how long you want to try to sell a pen vs how much money you want out of it. None of this is anything new.

I do know that I get more views here than on ebay but fewer actual buyers. I think that is because here all of the pens for sale appear in the same place on one screen, so its easy to browse like at a buffet. I might see something that interests me a bit and so I'll look at it, even though I might have no interest in purchasing it. On eBay, I get fewer views but more actual buyers. This site and FPN act as spreadsheets, you see everything. eBay acts as a database, you have to enter what you want to see. But as far as getting low-ball offers, I think that its the same on any of the selling sites. Selling can be annoying. I'm in the process of selling most of my collection and sometimes its annoying. But some days are really enjoyable. It's all part of life's rich pageant.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pen Tom For This Useful Post:

Darla (March 26th, 2022), Zhivago (March 23rd, 2022)

Thanks

Yeah, I was pretty annoyed when I first became aware of this feature...at least as a seller!

However, as Pen Tom wrote, you don't have to give in. A case could also be made (perhaps) that this feature is good for sellers because it keeps items more front and center in buyer's minds. Maybe.

I'll add that I've sold items on ebay quickly or relatively quickly after having them go unsold many weeks or months here. I think Pen Tom is correct about there being more buyers at ebay.

Thanks

You're basically describing the business model of pen dealers: buy low and sell high. They're also taking the risk that the pen won't sell at a higher price.

Personally I would prefer to buy and sell without a middleman. In the meantime, some pen dealers are providing a service that some people are happy to buy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_austin View Post
    You're basically describing the business model of pen dealers: buy low and sell high. They're also taking the risk that the pen won't sell at a higher price.

Personally I would prefer to buy and sell without a middleman. In the meantime, some pen dealers are providing a service that some people are happy to buy.

~ Benjamin Franklin

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

christof (March 24th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,922 Times in 1,440 Posts

Actually, greed is boring and has nothing to do with my/our hobby.

I am an amateur restorer and seller. I do not earn my money with fountain pens. I can therefore afford to make high demands on myself, my goods, as well as on my buyers.

My prices are based on the simple principle of supply and demand. If I can't sell an item, my price is probably too high and needs to be adjusted. The decision to do so is mine. Offers are welcome and help me to adjust prices.

Therefore I give ebay a wide berth. I prefer the friendly atmosphere among enthusiasts as it is here.

In fact, I equate a sale with an exchange, since I will buy fountain pens again with the money received, and I will do that here.
    Last edited by christof; March 24th, 2022 at 02:30 AM.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

724Seney (March 24th, 2022), Bisquitlips (March 25th, 2022), carlos.q (March 24th, 2022), dneal (March 29th, 2022), Jon Szanto (March 24th, 2022), penwash (March 24th, 2022)