Thread: Noodler's Tsvetayeva

Thanks
    Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,212 Posts

Cool Noodler's Tsvetayeva

A rich red, homage to the great Russian poetess, Marina Tsvetayeva. Note Nathan Tardiff uses an alternative spelling for Tsvetaeva.
    Information gleaned from her biography is from wikipedia and poetry foundation.
    Note: The selected poems are from a translation by Andrey Kneller on Kindle. I've chosen certain lines and not entire poems.

Marina Tsvetayeva was born in Moscow 8 October 1892. Her father was a professor of fine arts, her mother a concert pianist, who wanted her to become a musician and not a poet, as she found her poems insipid. She spend most of her life out of use.

Don’t mistake these soulful eyes for meekness.

Tsvetayeva’s poetry, reads like punctuated bullet shots: an explosion of emotions, imagery, and sounds. She once famously said, “Next time I will be born not on a planet, but on a comet!”
    A prophetic poem on Midori/ Ahab
    Note how the saturated feed lightens

Midori Codex.jpg

Some of her poetry is especially apt in the current situation of war. To love a country that does not love you, to be a stranger in exile and in exile in your own country. That was the lot of Marina Tsvetayeva.
    Tomoe River

Tsv - TR.jpeg
    She and her family paid for it dearly. Her life was mired with poverty, exile, and tragedy.
    Tsvetayeva married an army cadet, Sergei Efron, who fought in the World War I and during the Russian revolution joined the white army, and after their defeat in 1920, emigrated to Paris. Stuck in Moscow during the great famine, she left her daughters in the care of orphanage, believing they would be fed better. One of them died from starvation. She emigrated in 1922 to Paris and reunited with her husband.

In Paris, she was shunned, by the Russian intelligentsia, especially after she wrote to a Soviet poet and from then on lived from hand to mouth.
    TR 68gr
    Tsv - TR68.jpeg
    Her daughter, Ariadna, espoused communist ideals and left for the Soviet Union in 1937, followed by her husband, Efron, who unbeknownst to Tsvetayeva had become a NKVD spy and was involved in a couple of assassinations of Russian dissidents.
    HP 32.jpg
    Ironically both Efron and Ariadna were imprisoned in charges of espionage in 1941. Efron was murdered, and Ariadna spend 16 years in the gulag.
    This is on Hammermill Printer Paper, Premium Multipurpose Paper 20 lb, 92 brightness....
    HP.jpeg
    Tsvetayeva moved back to the Soviet Union in 1939. From then on, she lived in abject poverty and hanged herself in 1941. She was 48.
    To finish the train wreck of her life, her beloved son, volunteered and was killed in 1944.

Now for the ink:
    I thought I had found my dream bulletproof red. But for some reason this ink, like other Noodler’s red, has difficult to dry and depending on the pen/paper/nib can smudge. For example, with a Jinhao 450, it lays a lot of ink that smudges on Midori 30 minutes later. Ironically with Ahab it behaved in a much different fashion. But still, I won’t recommend it to lefties, or those who write copiously on Japanese papers with wet pens and wide nibs. Ironically on absorbent paper it dries instantly.

[B]This is an unrelated text. The photo shows off the shading with a fude nib.... Though dry times is atrocious... Paper is Apica[/B]

IMG_20220215_081426.jpg

Comparison
    Comparaison.jpg
    Cleaning is a bit like other red/ pink inks, a pain. Though I have had worse, Skrip Red/ Sailor Grenade and Herbin rose cyclamen. But you definitely need a pen liquid wash.
    This is one beautiful red, and if it didn’t have the smudge problem, I would been buying a bottle. I suspect that a drop of water might alleviate the smudge problem much like Red-Black.
    Note Russian series inks are more expensive than standard bulletproof inks.
    Ink is bulletproof, fluorescent.
    Note the left side was held under water. I didn't wait 24 hour for the ink to dry completely. The excess ink washed away.
    Watertest.jpeg

• Pens used: Ahab– Jinaho 450 fude
    • Shading: delightful with wider nib.
    • Ghosting: a bit on absorbent paper…
    • Bleed through: No.
    • Flow Rate: medium..
    • Lubrication: average
    • Nib Dry-out: No.
    • Start-up: No
    • Saturation: Deep rich red
    • Shading Potential: Yes
    • Sheen: None
    • Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Not noticed
    • Nib Creep / “Crud”: it depends.
    • Staining (pen): you need to rinse it in a pen wash. But surprisingly it was easier to clean that Rose Cyclamen/ Skrip red.
    • Clogging: None
    • Water resistance: Excellent
    • Availability: 90 ml bottles – More expensive than traditional Noodler’s inks.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

catbert (March 15th, 2022), DrPenfection (March 15th, 2022), ethernautrix (March 16th, 2022), junglejim (March 29th, 2022), Lloyd (March 15th, 2022), Pterodactylus (March 15th, 2022), Robert (March 15th, 2022), thi (March 15th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 698 Posts

Default Re: Noodler's Tsvetayeva

Thank you Yazeh for the fascinating ink review! During that time, most Russians didn't know which side to belong to for fear of the their life.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,212 Posts

Default Re: Noodler's Tsvetayeva

Quote Originally Posted by DrPenfection View Post
    Thank you Yazeh for the fascinating ink review! During that time, most Russians didn't know which side to belong to for fear of the their life.
    I know. That's the sad story. Now they've returned to square one.. So sad