Thread: Ink Review: Sailor Shikiori Shigure

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Sailor Ink Review: Sailor Shikiori Shigure

Today I’m reviewing Sailor Shikiori Shigure ink. Shigure is a very dark purple, almost black ink. As a purple it leans more blue than red and it is a well saturated ink. If you leave your pen filled with Shigure for any length of time it will begin to look even darker.

I found it quite wet with very good flow. Lubrication on the nib felt very smooth across the paper. You don’t need to use Shigure in a really wet writing pen. Inks of this type of colour are usually wet.

Shigure didn’t suffer from any hard starts or non-starts when I put the uncapped pen down to do swab tests, dry times and water resistance. The ink was very well-behaved.
    It dried fairly quickly in approximately 15 seconds on the Clairefontaine Triomphe paper and didn’t smear after it was dry.

I didn’t see any sheen and only saw some shading with the finer nibs that I used. Shigure was previously in the Jentle line up and I think it maybe even looks a little darker in the Shikiori version. It wasn’t difficult to clean out of my pens nor off of my hands.

Available in 20ml Sailor glass bottles from The Writing Desk. Thanks to them for sending me a sample to review.

• Flow Rate: Very good. Wet.
    • Lubrication: Very smooth.
    • Nib Dry-out: Not noticed.
    • Start-up: Immediate.
    • Saturation: Well saturated
    • Shading Potential: Sometimes seen with finer nibs and drier writing pens.
    • Show-Through: Sometimes seen on cheaper papers.
    • Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: None seen.
    • Nib Creep / “Crud”: Not seen, even after several days in the pen.
    • Staining (pen): Not seen after 2 weeks - easy clean-up.
    • Staining (hands): Washed off of my hands easily.
    • Clogging: Not seen.
    • Water resistance: Not sold as waterproof, but shows some water resistance.

Sailor Shigure.jpg
    Last edited by Chrissy; May 26th, 2022 at 07:09 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (March 16th, 2022), junglejim (March 29th, 2022), thi (March 16th, 2022), Yazeh (March 16th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

Default Re: Ink Review: Sailor Shikiori Shigure

Thank you Chrissy - you've managed to do a very good job in convincing me that this is not an ink I need to add to my Sailor lineup. They're so expensive in the 20ml format that they've become considered purchases, and some of the darker ones just haven't called to me and this one's way too dark and saturated for my taste at the moment.

I think that might be enough for me to justify buying something else instead!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Ink Review: Sailor Shikiori Shigure

I have previously written with Shigure in 50ml bottles as part of the Jentle range but don't remember it being quite as dark as this Shikiori sample. I remember having a penpal who used to write with it regularly and thought it looked attractive then.

When I found my first three comparison inks I decided Shigure wasn't one I needed to add to my collection - solely on colour. I don't seem to use these "almost blacks' at this time of the year when spring is almost here. I prefer to wake up my pens with paler or brighter inks.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens