Thread: Vintage Montblanc Coral Red 206

Thanks

Default Vintage Montblanc Coral Red 206

Good day everyone, I have found this pen for sale and I really like it but, it has a #6 EF nib. Now I like medium nibs and always try to buy pens with this nib. I have read that recent MB nibs are wetter than they say they are but what about vintage pens? I had to change the EF nib on my vintage Pelikan 120 as it was really thin. On my Pelikan M600 that I bought with a medium nib I had to swap it for a F.
    Can someone that has this pen post proof of writing, please?
    Thank you
    Marco
    Last edited by MarcoA64; March 30th, 2022 at 01:44 AM. Reason: typos

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Default Re: Vintage Montblanc Coral Red 206

Although western nibs are sometimes said to be slightly broader and/or maybe slightly wetter you're not going to get a Montblanc vintage or modern EF nib to write anything like a M nib. In fact the EF Pelikan nib would not be too far from a Montblanc EF nib as they are both German pens.

I have a Pelikan M400 White with EF nib and never write with it because I also prefer M nibs and the EF nib is far too fine for me to write with.

If you're looking for a Montblanc M nib then my suggestion is you should carry on looking as an EF won't be anywhere near to a good substitute. When buying a pen everything needs to be right. Not just the fact that the color/model/price seems good if the nib is all wrong. That's probably the most important aspect of the deal.
    Last edited by Chrissy; March 30th, 2022 at 02:44 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Here are a couple of nib comparison photos for you. I wrote that the 146 I think is an F, but in retrospect and considering some other MBs of the era I have it might be an M.

The 146 and 149 I call "vintage" are celluloid, which dates them solidly to the 1950s. Both of these pens are VERY wet writing. The 149 of course is a bigger nib than a #6(as per the pen model ) but comparing 146s and 149s of similar age I notice more variation in individual nibs of a given width than wholesale differences of say an M 146 vs. an M 149. I do have an M 146 of the same age as the M 149 in this photo that's not currently inked, but I'll dip it if you're interested.

Also, I'll mention that when I talk about these nibs being "marked"-note that on on 50s and earlier Montblancs, the nib width is often marked on the turning knob, but the nibs themselves aren't marked, adn there's no guarantee that what the factory put on the pen 60+ years ago is still on there.
    IMG_1644.jpg

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bunnspecial For This Useful Post:

junglejim (March 30th, 2022)

Thanks

@chrissy, thank you for your wisdom. You are right, given that they aren't cheap pens either.

@bunnspecial, thank you for the writing samples but, too me, I can't spot a huge difference between the nib sizes, sorry 😊

Thanks

@bunnspecial, looking at the samples on my laptop I cannow see much better. The vintage 149 EF and 146 M are similar IMO. Not so the 1990s 149 M which looks a bit thicker. Thank you