Thread: Useful Pen Repair tools

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Useful Pen Repair tools

I've built up quite a large collection of hand made and repurposed tools over the years for pen repair.

There are some obvious ones such as a knock out block, heat gun, pen knife and nib block. But there are others I'd wish I'd known about sooner. This is one of my most used. It's a Bionic Wrench. It allows you to tightly grip a pen part and cause no damage if used in conjunction with a piece of rubber hose and heat.

This particular pen had been languishing unrestored for around a year and a half until I came across it today and successfully opened it. Causing no damage.

What tools do you find useful?

P3300605.jpg

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to top pen For This Useful Post:

amk (March 30th, 2022), christof (March 30th, 2022), elaineb (March 31st, 2022), FredRydr (March 30th, 2022), Jon Szanto (March 31st, 2022), markiv (March 30th, 2022), Robalone (March 31st, 2022), Yazeh (March 30th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Re: Useful Pen Repair tools

Once the pen is gripped, does it lock to prevent damage from over tightening?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Once the pen is gripped, does it lock to prevent damage from over tightening?
    Hi, it doesn't lock. I would think it is possible to crush hollow parts if pressed down very hard. So I tend to use it on sections (with the feed in place) as there is less to grip on them on it offers more help. However, as the rubber has some give I would think you would really have to force down on the grips to break a pen part.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

I have one of these bionic wrenches. It was very useful when I needed to open a Parker 51 Vac filler unit in conjunction with a brass split ring. Keeps everything properly circular.
    Doesn't lock in a specific position but doesn't close up to completely closed in the centre and is easy to control.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

The bars/jaws of a bionic wrench are smooth and rounded, so shouldn't mar the work piece, though they can crush things like metal tubing. A piece of hose provides both traction and a cushion, insuring that the jaws can't mar the surface, and to prevent crushing the section. Keeping the feed in the section when opening the pen is always a good idea.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 30th, 2022), Jon Szanto (March 31st, 2022), markiv (March 30th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,814 Times in 1,426 Posts

Here's a selection of my tools. Specially helpful ist the wrench made of wood (No. 6),

the knock out block (No. 1)

and the cork seal cutter (No. 12)

Werkzeug by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

But some models require tools specially made for, as No. 17 for example. It's a key to unscrew the piston mechanics of first and second generation LAMY 27.

No. 7 is used to grab piston mechanics on Soennecken 111 and 222 with "click"-mechanism. And I specially made tool No. 9 to dismantle the piston on UHU Noblesse pens.

UHU Noblesse Tool by c_m_z, auf Flickr

My newest helpful tool is a mini lathe, an EMCO Unimat SL:

EMCO Unimat SL by C.M.Z, auf Flickr
    Last edited by christof; March 30th, 2022 at 08:10 AM.

9. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

724Seney (March 30th, 2022), amk (March 30th, 2022), bunnspecial (March 30th, 2022), carlos.q (March 30th, 2022), catbert (April 3rd, 2022), Chrissy (March 30th, 2022), Cyril (April 8th, 2022), eachan (March 31st, 2022), elaineb (March 31st, 2022), FredRydr (March 31st, 2022), Jon Szanto (March 31st, 2022), markiv (March 30th, 2022), mizgeorge (March 30th, 2022), penwash (March 31st, 2022), Robalone (March 31st, 2022), Yazeh (March 30th, 2022)

Thanks

Thats a beautiful assortment of tools. Handy reference too for anyone looking to DIY!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

I have to admit, threads like this get me excited.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Makes me wonder if there are any existing catalogues of the tools used by the manufacturers of various pen brands, both old and new.

Thanks

There were manufacturers' manuals and toolkits. This is one for Lang's Summit pens that I had a few years ago. Of course most of the tools could be used for pens of any manufacture.

The final image is of a nib and feed fitting press.

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

carlos.q (March 31st, 2022), Chrissy (March 31st, 2022), christof (March 31st, 2022), Empty_of_Clouds (March 31st, 2022), FredRydr (March 31st, 2022), Jon Szanto (March 31st, 2022), markiv (March 31st, 2022), mizgeorge (March 31st, 2022), penwash (March 31st, 2022), Wile E Coyote (March 31st, 2022), Yazeh (April 9th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

What a cool thread this has become.
    I enjoy seeing the tools that others are using.

My hand tools collection are very pedestrian, mostly repurposed ones and estate sale finds that keep being useful.

This is an early shot of my Taig when I just bought it used years ago (I don't have any other good photos of it afterwards).

And no, it didn't cost me $29.99 unfortunately. I wish

This is basically a small metal lathe where I can tune and resize pen parts. On occasion, I also make missing or replacement parts when ideas struck, such as this custom ebonite binde for my Pelikan 100:

I keep thinking that one day I'd get a metal lathe that is capable of cutting threads so I can dabble in making a pen, but then reality hits: "When the heck would I have time to do that???"
    Last edited by penwash; March 31st, 2022 at 09:39 AM.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (March 31st, 2022), Chrissy (March 31st, 2022), eachan (March 31st, 2022), elaineb (March 31st, 2022), Jon Szanto (March 31st, 2022), mizgeorge (March 31st, 2022), Yazeh (April 9th, 2022)

Thanks

A selection of pokey sticks, hammer and a basic nib block. I'd hoped I'd become skilled at nib straightening by now however nib straightening is an unnerving task. However I have had a lot of success with it over the last few years. Only a few failures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to top pen For This Useful Post:

amk (April 9th, 2022), Chrissy (April 9th, 2022), eachan (April 9th, 2022), FredRydr (April 9th, 2022), Jon Szanto (April 10th, 2022), Yazeh (April 9th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by top pen View Post
    A selection of pokey sticks, hammer and a basic nib block. I'd hoped I'd become skilled at nib straightening by now however nib straightening is an unnerving task. However I have had a lot of success with it over the last few years. Only a few failures.

Nice nib block! Where's that from?

Thanks

This an Eye candy Thread . Amazing share everyone. There are so many " Pen Surgeons" at large.

Thanks

Oh, those are nice burnishers!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by es9 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by top pen View Post
    Nice nib block! Where's that from?
    Hi, I got it from vintagepensacsandparts a few years ago. As as a stand alone unit without the tools or box etc. I mounted it to the plywood block to give it a bit of elevation and heft. I paid a fair bit less then what they have it up for now but had to build a setup around it and find some tools to use with it.

New STEEL Nib Repair / Burnishing Block and Tools Standard Size. – Thependragons - Vintage fountain pen sacs, fountain pen parts, tools and repair kits (vintagepensacsandparts.com)

I'd also add mine feels like aluminium as opposed to steel so that maybe the price difference.
    Last edited by top pen; April 11th, 2022 at 07:43 AM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to top pen For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (April 11th, 2022)

Thanks

Interesting. Has it worked well for you? Are the surfaces smooth and consistent?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by es9 View Post
    Interesting. Has it worked well for you? Are the surfaces smooth and consistent?
    The surfaces are smooth. I've good result with it but few that look perfect. I use to aid getting nibs that won't write to write (as opposed to hoping to to do a perfect job). It does that fairly well. I know there are better ones out there but they are hard to find and usually cost a huge premium.