Thread: Pen Values, Auction Prices, and the Changes in Collectibility

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Default Pen Values, Auction Prices, and the Changes in Collectibility

We've had a few discussions about the swings (upward, recently) of pens selling online and at auction sites. I know there is some crossover with people who enjoy/wear/collect watches as well, but I'm not knowledgeable in that world. That made last night's read, regarding the current status of high-end watch auctions, a fascinating glimpse into that world. I think that once you get used to the order of magnitude difference in the money involved, there are still parallels to be drawn for many collectible items. We've specifically discussed the growth during the pandemic, and this part caught my eye:

"After growing rapidly for the last 20 years or so, interest in luxury watches—as in many other collectibles, from sneakers to trading cards to wine—exploded during the pandemic, as people around the world all of a sudden had extra time to scroll through product shots on social media and eBay, and extra savings to spend. Long a niche passion, luxury watches have become de rigueur for a broader, younger crowd, who thanks to the internet have quickly acquired specialized knowledge once limited to a small club of initiates."

It was also interesting to note that watch collecting, like pen collecting, is a somewhat recent phenomenon. Anyway, I hope some of you might enjoy the read (it seems if you are new to the Atlantic you won't get blocked by a paywall):

Inside the Frenzied World of Rare Watches and the Rich People Who Love Them
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

724Seney (March 30th, 2022), Robert (March 30th, 2022)

Thanks

Default Re: Pen Values, Auction Prices, and the Changes in Collectibility

I think another thing to consider is lots of new folks looking for other ways to make a buck. Finding old pens around the house or antique sales, buying them, and listing them at insane prices.

That or money laundering, which is the only other reason I could think of.

Curiously enough, Esterbrook's are pretty much the same price as they've always been, which is fascinating to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 397 Posts

Actually, I've had a lot more "family" pens sent to me in the last couple of years... Pens inherited after a grandfather or someone older died, or the pen was given to them as a gift. They want the pens repaired so that they can use them rather then selling them off to get the money.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

amk (April 2nd, 2022), AzJon (April 1st, 2022), eachan (April 2nd, 2022), Jon Szanto (April 1st, 2022), Lloyd (April 1st, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (April 2nd, 2022), Stands on Feet (April 1st, 2022)

Thanks

That's encouraging to hear!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (April 1st, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    That's encouraging to hear!
    Totally agree!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Nice to hear people are loving FPs again.

I got asked to advise on a Parker 51 for the birthday of a friend of a friend. So I helped with a few recommendations and a price guide and 'what to look for' in terms of blue diamonds, aero/vac, custom caps and so on.

Well, not only did the friend buy her friend a Parker 51 - she decided to get one for herself! Enthusiasm is spreading :-)