Thread: Wanted: Richly Saturated, Wet Waterproof Blue Ink

Thanks

Question Wanted: Richly Saturated, Wet Waterproof Blue Ink

Hello my fellow fountain pen lovers. I love rich, vivid, deeply saturated fountain pen inks, particularly those that shade. My favorite inks are Colorverse Supernova, which shades gorgeously from a rich blue to a lighter blue, and Diamine November Rain, which in my green-and-black Pelikan M600, shades (you guessed it) from green to black beautifully.

For my Lamy 2000, which I just bought to be my daily-use pocket pen, I’m searching for a waterproof blue ink. But my problem is that almost all the waterproof inks I’ve tried are cloudy, unsaturated and unsatisfying. I just bought a bottle of Sailor Seiboku. To me, this is a pale, cloudy ink, the opposite of the rich, saturated colors I love. And iron gall inks are generally dry writers, so that’s a nonstarter. Got to have a wet ink.

What’s the perfect, saturated, wet, waterproof blue ink? Thanks in advance for your advice!

GNL

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Default Re: Wanted: Richly Saturated, Wet Waterproof Blue Ink

Keep in mind that one of the factors that you love - oversaturation - is one of the opposite qualities of a waterproof ink. All of the extra compounds in the ink build up on the surface of the paper, not really reaching *into* it, and therefore can wash away. It's also not an either/or thing, so the concept of a visually saturated ink varies according to user taste/perception.

I've used basic Namiki blue for a good mid-deep blue color that has good waterfastness, but I am not at all certain it is "perfect, saturated, wet" enough for your tastes. I might, though, suggest you try a sample and see if it meets your needs.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (April 25th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,003 Times in 2,190 Posts

There's no such thing as the perfect ink. It's a combination of pen/ink/paper/person

I'm not sure what you mean by a highly saturated blue. Do you want sky blue /blue black or shading blue?
    Shading and waterproofness normally don't go hand in hand. Unless you use a flex/ fude nib.

What's your nib on Lamy 2000?

Check this link from goblet of all the waterproof blues.

I would recommend getting as many as samples possible to test and see.

You have two choices:
    Cellulose reactive:
    Noodler's/De Atramentis/ / R& K dokument.

Pigment /Platinum /Kakimori /R& K sketchink / Super 5 inks.

I personally would go for Cellulose reactive inks that are easier to clean than pigment inks.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 31st, 2022), TSherbs (March 31st, 2022), welch (April 25th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

If you wish to keep all of the parts of your pen in excellent condition then the ink you are searching for may not be the right one to do so.
    Richard Binders wealth of information on inks was very recently linked on a page here. It would seem appropriate to link it here again.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

welch (April 25th, 2022)

Thanks

I use Monteverde document blue which is a bright blue, but it doesn't shade because it's pigmented. All pigmented inks will have a slightly flat appearance. I have looked into KWZ IG alternatives - I'm happy with my IG Gummiberry and IG Mandarin in terms of flow and richness - but there doesn't seem to be a blue that I would like. You might want to check them out though and see if there is a color you like. Just bear in mind the IG inks do darken after initial writing. Alternatively I really like my Lamy Benitoite which is a blue black and fairly water resistant (it has some IG component).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    If you wish to keep all of the parts of your pen in excellent condition then the ink you are searching for may not be the right one to do so.
    Richard Binders wealth of information on inks was very recently linked on a page here. It would seem appropriate to link it here again.
    Fair enough.
    I only use waterproof inks.
    For me the sign of good waterproof ink is ease of cleaning. That is especially important for a piston filler. A pink ink is as difficult to clean as a pigment ink, even worse
    For a pigment inks I often have to use a fountain pen cleaner to make sure the feed is clear.

There are many waterproof inks that are easy to use and clean. Many of Noodler's fluorescent inks are easier to clean than "normal" inks.
    If the pen in question has a good seal he wouldn't have a problem.

However, if the poster, uses a broad nib and has to use cheap paper, then s/he is in trouble
    There are just too many variables...

It's all a question of knowing the inks well and your pen well.
    If the pen has a good seal, the Poster would have no problems.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 586 Posts

There is a famous (infamous?), knock-your-eyeballs-out supersaturated vivid blue inedible ink called Noodler's Bay State Blue. It is a very staining, high-maintenance ink with a propensity for getting on everything and never coming out. Some people recommend wearing a hazmat suit when wearing it. There are a number of caveats involved with its use which you should research carefully before trying even a sample. It apparently melted some Lamy Safari nibs early on in its career, or so I'm told; the version of the story I heard is that Lamy changed the plastic it was using for its feeds, and that particular problem went away. The ink reminds me of those pharmaceuticals you see advertised on television whose possible side effects include light to moderate death. That said, it may be just what you're looking for.

Or not.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

You might be interested in Noodler's Baltimore Canyon Blue. It is waterproof and fade proof in my test with two months of San Diego sunlight. I've been very happy with this ink and now use it as my standard ink. My review

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OCArt For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (April 17th, 2022), Yazeh (April 17th, 2022)

Thanks

@Calamus, I have Baystate Blue in a Jinhao 450 for four years, continuously, as an experiment. No explosion yet Despite that it's not an ink I would recommend, for an expensive pen or for travelling. Noodler's has many other bulletproof inks that are much better behaved.... UPPER GANGES BLUE is one of them. But I'm sure Noodler's Baltimore is quite good as the review are positive.
    Last edited by Yazeh; April 17th, 2022 at 07:50 AM.