Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NAKAYA ARRIVAL! Unboxing of Moonlight on Dark Water!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Talking NAKAYA ARRIVAL! Unboxing of Moonlight on Dark Water!

IT CAME! UPS never marked it as out for delivery, but at 3:50pm on Tuesday, the 13th of August a small very light box was delivered to the church office.

I started this project back in January with an image in my mind. Silver goldfish below the surface of a dark pond, moonlit ripples. From there, with the help of folks over on FPN we came up with a guiding name for the pen. Literally Silver Wave (Gin nami) which evoked poetically the image I had of moonlight on the water. From there I emailed with both Nakaya and Classic Pens. Ended up just talking with Classic Pens as direct communication with Nakaya seemed difficult. I explained my vision, that I wanted the Pikolo, the no Ao-Tamenuri finish, silver goldfish roll stopper and gave them the pen's name. Asked the artist to do something special (up to the artist) on the section of the pen that fit the theme and to please write the pen's name in kanji (silver also).

Eight months later John called me to say the pen had arrived. We discussed the vintage nibs I use 90% of the time and he chose to grind a BB nib into an oblique (same angle as antique Pelikan nibs which are my preference) cursive italic for me. It finishes out at 1mm.

Then there was the UPS drama, but by some miracle Gin Nami was delivered just now on the 2nd anniversary of my ordination to the priesthood in the Episcopal church. Here is the documentation of my shaky handed unboxing...

The BOX: (I honestly thought it would be deeper.

Untitled by JoAndRoses, on Flickr

Inside which was another box! This one bamboo I believe and covered with Japanese characters. I really wish I could read them...

And then there was the inside, the pen tucked in its kimono, the converter is installed already:

I slid out the pen...

There she is. The ao-tamenuri finish seems to very a great deal pen to pen. I was HOPING for the very bluish-turqouise finish which is fairly light. This is pretty undeniably NOT blue and is VERY dark. Very little color showing capped and what shows leans toward green. I knew this could happen. I'm a little disappointed but I have a feeling in a day or two I wouldn't trade it for the world.

The roll stopper. They really are very cute goldfish. And quite heavy. The pen is not going anywhere capped!

A closeup of the kanji, again I wish I could read it. I will take for granted that it says something similar to what I meant and let any deviation be artistic/poetic license.

And the section. This was the treat for me, something I'd likely be the only one to see or appreciate on a daily use basis. The artist used silver powder. What fascinates me is that instead of it all being in one layer as I've seen on other pens this was obviously applies BETWEEN layers of urushi. There is a lot of depth, some of the silver flakes are silver and right at the surface, some look like pebbles or coins sparkling from the bottom of a pond. And THAT is what happens when you tell an artist to interpret a kanji poem.

It is extremely hard to photograph well. I'm going to have to pull out the light box and macro lens and such when I get home:

Finally a quick writing sample with the only ink I had available... Apache Sunset. Makes no sense at all but I simply couldn't wait to ink her. I will flush and fill with Bamboo Forest when I get home, that will fit much better I think!

---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Adhizen (August 15th, 2013), AtomicLeo (August 23rd, 2013), Bogon07 (August 14th, 2013), earthdawn (August 13th, 2013), ethernautrix (August 27th, 2013), Flounder (August 15th, 2013), fountainpenkid (August 13th, 2013), GourmetPens (August 13th, 2013), Jon Szanto (August 13th, 2013), kaisnowbird (August 15th, 2013), KrazyIvan (August 13th, 2013), Laura N (August 13th, 2013), Mesu (August 13th, 2013), pajhurley (August 16th, 2013), penultress (August 15th, 2013), quinden (August 13th, 2013), reprieve (August 13th, 2013), Robert (August 13th, 2013), Sketchy (August 14th, 2013), Tony Rex (August 13th, 2013), Woody (January 10th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: NAKAYA ARRIVAL! Unboxing of Moonlight on Dark Water!

Wow! A beautiful pen! I am glad it finally came.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

That is impressive, and worth the wait. I bet it gets better looking with time as well.

Thanks

Gorgeous pen. The pen stopper is very pretty.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 413 Posts

Congrats!

The color will lighten with age although it may take a number of years. My 'Byakko' pen uses shobu tamenuri and was very dark when it first arrived and you could not discern the purple base color underneath the Suki Urushi. The 'Byakko' artwork underneath was also darker. After years, the artwork is now very clear and once can get a hint of the purple underneath. On your pen, the edges will become more prominent with age.

Thanks

Breathtaking! The section is truly magical. I'm sure the artist is going to appreciate hearing your reaction. The whole experience was so personal and meaningful and artful. And fun!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

I love that clip/stopper and the grip section. Truly amazing work they do...I wish I had the chance to see them at D.C when I was there.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

tandaina, that's awesome! I love it, thanks for sharing

Thanks

What a beautiful pen! I dedicate this evening's gin & tonic to: Gin Nami.

Thanks

tandaina that is breath taking and a wonderful back story as well.

I do have an off the wall question - 1. Congratulations on the pen
    2. Congratulations on your anniversary
    and

3 I have been to a ordination ceremony for Father Malpa, who married Beth and I and yes, I am an Episcopalian. Don't shoot me but I have a touchy serious question - A Episcopalian male priest is Father. What is the proper term of address for you?

Trust me I am not being a wise guy.

Carl Wood
    Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

Thanks

Congratulations on your Nakaya! I think you will find that in different types of light, maybe even different times during the day, your pen's color will look a little different. That is a great finish, wonderful story and interpretation for your pen! Hope you will love it and use it, use it, use it!
    Cheers,
    Julie

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Well, that pen is about as good as it gets, in every way. All the more special that it will forever commemorate a very important date in your life! I'm very happy for you.

(As a side note, I just performed at the final service of a local rector who, after nine years, is taking a position at Grace Cathedral in SF. Wonderful man, if I hadn't already a spiritual home, he made me feel that congregation would be home. On the rare occasion I perform there, I'll miss him)

Oh: I like Gin.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

I also just realized: I should have become a part of the clergy - I haven't been able to afford a Nakaya on a musician's wages!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Laura N (August 13th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

I really like what the artist did on the section. And I'm impressed that you totally left it up to his or her discretion.

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

Congratulations! Your Nakaya is beautiful and special and unique! I love the kanji and the roll stopper and, especially, the section. I think the blue-green color beneath the dark-almost-black is very pretty and very appropriate to your theme. As AltecGreen has said, it will lighten a bit with time. My four-year-old heki-tamenuri ascending dragon is becoming noticeably brighter as is my two-year-old shiro-tamenuri Fox with 9 Tails (it is most noticeable on the sections where I grip the pens). I love the way these pens change and age--each truly is one-of-a-kind.
    Last edited by reprieve; August 13th, 2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Thank you all!

Hah, this pen wouldn't be possible on a clergy salary. The money for it was really a gift. I'm a lucky girl.

Not all male priests go by Father, that tends to be higher church (liturgically more formal) churches that use Father and for women, Mother.

I and most clergy I know prefer to just go by our first names. For those that want a formal title I use 'Amma' which was first used by the desert mothers, and abba by the desert fathers. Amma is mother in Greek, and in India and a number of other languages. But it doesn't have all the cultural weirdness attached of Mother or Father! :P
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (August 13th, 2013), Jon Szanto (August 13th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

WOW !!!

That is one of the most beautiful Nakaya I have seen !

Every detail is so personal to you, and that makes it even better.

The goldfish was a great choice as it fit your theme perfectly. The Kanji looks beautiful and the section is a masterpiece in itself.

What others have said is so true... it will lighten with age. It is a wonderful little extra you get with the finish. That blue will come out more and more as time goes on. I really think it looks beautiful and that the blue coming out in the "breaks" of the pen are outstanding.

I love the story about the nib work. Thats something that really sells these pens with Nibs.com. I know I know ... John is the only US retailer BUT he has an ability to make a nib do whatever you can imagine. To ask him to make a nib to a style you prefer and his idea is to "grind a BB nib into an oblique (same angle as antique Pelikan nibs which are my preference) cursive italic" I mean thats just crazy good.

Big Big Big congrats... enjoy it, love it and write with it often.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Utterly, completely, wonderfully speechless. What a tremendous story, and a truly remarkable pen. Thank you so much for sharing!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

That is a very special pen. Please consider bringing it to Dallas for show and tell.
    Draw close. Hold hands. Life is short. God is good. - Jan Karon

23. The Following User Says Thank You to tiffanyhenschel For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (August 13th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    I really like what the artist did on the section. And I'm impressed that you totally left it up to his or her discretion.
    Yes, me too. I don't think I'd be able to leave it to chance with a pen so expensive, but in a way it makes it more special because it's a collaboration with the artist. I think the black really translates the moonlight on water at night; because it isn't just straight-up 'black', it's more reflective. It goes very well with the silver fish!
    Congratulations on a stunning pen.