Thread: Help with Parker 45

Thanks

Default Help with Parker 45

Hello,

I have two questions regarding the repair of a Parker 45.

I recently acquired a Parker 45 in need of cleaning and restoration. It has a medium gold nib. I have not been successful in removing the nib/feed from the section. I've tried heat, gentle twisting and soaking. Nothing seems to work. Can anyone suggest a method to remove this piece?

The squeeze type filler will not draw water into the sac. The filler assembly spins freely within the section but does not seem to be removable. Would this looseness be the cause of it not drawing water?

Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

NK
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by newkid; April 11th, 2022 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks

Default Re: Help with Parker 45

Having handled about 70 45's I've only had one I could remember where the feed wouldn't unscrew. That had bad section indentation. It was so bad I think the feed hade been distorted. Other then trying some ammonia solution I can't think of much of else you could try.

I've always found soaking the section to be enough. 'm wondering if India ink could have been used in it. Could you upload a photo of the pen?

Thanks

Photos added

Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 Times in 4,002 Posts

Almost like top pen I haven't had problems unscrewing the nib & feed section of any Parker 45 and have a tray full in my case.

When I buy one from ebay I usually soak the section in a cup of hot tap water before trying to unscrew the nib and feed collar. If the water becomes very black, I change it to fresh hot water until it's fairly clear. Then unscrew the nib & feed at the collar, separate the nib and collar from the feed, and carry on soaking all of the parts including the section as that also contains another part of the feed.

I don't think I've ever even needed to clean one in my USC until after I've removed the nib & feed.

If it's a bit tricky to grab hold of it and unscrew it after soaking in hot water then wear rubber gloves or use some grippy pieces of rubber.
    Last edited by Chrissy; April 12th, 2022 at 01:19 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

The rest of the story.

Thanks to all that posted their suggestions. This morning, after a night of soaking the section, I tried to unscrew the nib/feed once again. I succeeded in breaking off the tail of the feed. I salvaged the 14K nib and the collar. I have a spare feed so I was not too concerned by this. I also removed the squeeze filler and tried to push out the broken tail of the feed. In doing so, I broke off a section of the nipple that secures the converter and cartridge. I do not think this piece can be repaired. Now I am on the lookout for a burgundy section for the Parker 45.

However, all is not lost. I transferred the 14K nib to a spare feed then put the nib, gold plated cap clutch and cap with gold plated clip onto a plain black Parker 45. Now that pen looks quite well with its gold plated trim.

Regards,

NK

Thanks

Where are you located? I maybe able to offer you one for a small fee

Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 Times in 4,002 Posts

Just in case you're in the US and not the UK you should be able to find whatever spare parts you need on ebay.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens