Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Auction stealer warning

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Auction stealer warning

The lesson to be learned is that bids are placed in the currency of the auction. If the listing is on eBay UK it will be in GBP. Know where the auction really is what the default currency will be. Before placing a bid convert to that currency.

There really isn't an issue I see with either the sniping service or the auction. As consumers or sellers we need to know how stuff works. That is our responsibility. Just like buying at an auction house we need to know what fees will be added to closing prices (often 25% ) we need to understand where auctions are really happening and what currency is being used.

Senior Member Penne Stilografiche's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by david i View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by drgoretex View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul-H View Post
    So now I have a seller wanting me to pay the final price and there being no way am I going to do that.
    Sorry, but feeling a bit sympathy-challenged here. Not only do I agree with 79 Spitfire on how irritating snipers are when you are doing some legitimate bidding, but worse, you did bid the amount you bid. How is it reasonable to say that you have no intention of paying it? This is just the kind of attitude that makes it difficult and unpleasant to be an eBay seller.

Ken
    Contrasting "Sniper" with "Legitimate Bidding" of course represents a deep misunderstanding of the auction process.

However, it is quite true the bidder has obligation to pay the seller in this case.

regards

david
    Hi David,
    Please check your emails when you get the chance.
    Best Regards
    Vincenzo

Thanks

I've been lax on emails this week (uhh... month). I don't see an PMs via FPG. Did you email me?

regards

david
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Board /FPnuts : Archived Message Board with focus on vintage.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.
    31000 members and growing. World's heftiest daily vintage pen eye candy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    The lesson to be learned is that bids are placed in the currency of the auction. If the listing is on eBay UK it will be in GBP. Know where the auction really is what the default currency will be. Before placing a bid convert to that currency.

There really isn't an issue I see with either the sniping service or the auction. As consumers or sellers we need to know how stuff works. That is our responsibility. Just like buying at an auction house we need to know what fees will be added to closing prices (often 25% ) we need to understand where auctions are really happening and what currency is being used.
    The thing is, the sniping program was making it look as if it had converted 99 pounds to $153. But I have to say, I don't particularly sympathise very with someone who is using automatic sniping software...
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

Senior Member Penne Stilografiche's Avatar
    Thanks

I've been lax on emails this week (uhh... month). I don't see an PMs via FPG. Did you email me?
    regards

david
    yep.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by collectiblepens.com View Post
    regards

david
    yep.
    I'll check. This month crazy. Next month much calmer.

regards

david
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 79spitfire View Post
    I agree you need to settle up with the seller, your problem is the sniper software. Thank you for letting us know the software has a bug in it and improperly calculates bids when set to US dollars.

Having said that, I can't help but feel a bit of evil pleasure. I've lost huge numbers of pens by being sniped by $1-2 after bidding reasonable amounts for them, and the auction history showing 2 bidders, the sniper and I.

Enjoy your new pen!

Actually, generally you don't know how much the higher bidder bid, in auctions you lost to a more aggressive bidder.

regards

david
    I understand that david, I figure prices based on needing to repair/restore the pen, paying 'top dollar' doesn't make sense to me. When I'm ready to pay 'full price' I'll talk to someone like yourself, who sells restored pens at the proper price.
    Wanted: Clever signature
    Apply in person....

Thanks

I agree you need to settle up with the seller, your problem is the sniper software. Thank you for letting us know the software has a bug in it and improperly calculates bids when set to US dollars.

Having said that, I can't help but feel a bit of evil pleasure. I've lost huge numbers of pens by being sniped by $1-2 after bidding reasonable amounts for them, and the auction history showing 2 bidders, the sniper and I.

Enjoy your new pen!

Actually, generally you don't know how much the higher bidder bid, in auctions you lost to a more aggressive bidder.

regards

david
    I understand that david, I figure prices based on needing to repair/restore the pen, paying 'top dollar' doesn't make sense to me. When I'm ready to pay 'full price' I'll talk to someone like yourself, who sells restored pens at the proper price.
    Hi,

Oh, I'm fine with each of us deciding for himself how much something is worth to him

I just had hoped to clarify that even seeming to lose an auction by $10 doesn't preclude the high bidder have bid, say, $1000 more than the final number showing, d/t ebay's method of figuring bids. Sometimes people don't realize ebay only uses one increment of bidding no matter how high the secret max bid entered.

regards

david
    David R. Isaacson, MD

Thanks

Enjoy your new pen!

regards

david
    Hi,

Oh, I'm fine with each of us deciding for himself how much something is worth to him

I just had hoped to clarify that even seeming to lose an auction by $10 doesn't preclude the high bidder have bid, say, $1000 more than the final number showing, d/t ebay's method of figuring bids. Sometimes people don't realize ebay only uses one increment of bidding no matter how high the secret max bid entered.

regards

david
    That brings up a good point the OP needs to consider, someone had bid one increment less than his 'winning' bid.

BTW, Thank you david, I do understand how Ebay works, a wining bid is always one increment higher, no matter what the actual bid number is, or it's source. I would think that sniper services are bad for sellers, as they never allow for an auction 'frenzy' on average items. (you really didn't think I was griping about not getting a first year Parker 51 for $10 did you??? )
    Wanted: Clever signature
    Apply in person....

Thanks

[QUOTE=79spitfire;43146]
    I would think that sniper services are bad for sellers, as they never allow for an auction 'frenzy' on average items.
    They are no worse for sellers than buyers who eschew using them and manually snipe in the last few seconds of an auction. I don't use a sniping service but I snipe. If the bid is already higher than what I planned on bidding, I don't bid.

Thanks

[QUOTE=pencils+pens;43200]
    I would think that sniper services are bad for sellers, as they never allow for an auction 'frenzy' on average items.
    They are no worse for sellers than buyers who eschew using them and manually snipe in the last few seconds of an auction. I don't use a sniping service but I snipe. If the bid is already higher than what I planned on bidding, I don't bid.
    Hi,

Please note that the first quote is not from me.

regards

david
    David R. Isaacson, MD

Thanks

That brings up a good point the OP needs to consider, someone had bid one increment less than his 'winning' bid.

BTW, Thank you david, I do understand how Ebay works, a wining bid is always one increment higher, no matter what the actual bid number is, or it's source. I would think that sniper services are bad for sellers, as they never allow for an auction 'frenzy' on average items. (you really didn't think I was griping about not getting a first year Parker 51 for $10 did you??? )
    Hi,

I wasn't too worried whether you know ebay as I know ebay

But, that quote way back when offered lack of clarity in the words showing. So... i dived in... for those who might not know.

Yes, Ebay's approach to the Game Theory of auctions offers limitations to perpetual bidding, and thus in some cases might see lower fees for what prove to be lower final prices, via ebay's choice not to enable the nibblers. But, the strategy of favoring sniping over nibbling has benefits too. Correlation of course does not prove causation, but I do well recall internet auctions sites that extended bidding time when there were bids within 2 minutes of closing. The ones I played in from back when are not in existence anymore. One can imagine reasons for this.

regards

david
    David R. Isaacson, MD

Thanks

I have used Auction Stealer for over 4 years with good results. I have never had any problems bidding on eBay in other countries. You have to realize you are bidding on the currency of the country where the auction is taking place. This is clearly stated when you type in your max bid. If it's Germany or France or one of the other European countries, it clearly comes up in Euros.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hopsteiner View Post
    I have used Auction Stealer for over 4 years with good results. I have never had any problems bidding on eBay in other countries. You have to realize you are bidding on the currency of the country where the auction is taking place. This is clearly stated when you type in your max bid. If it's Germany or France or one of the other European countries, it clearly comes up in Euros.
    You may notice that this thread is about 8 months old.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I missed this thread eight months ago, so I found it interesting and informative - particularly the warning to be alert to the auction's home country and currency. I might have noticed - or I might not have, but I certainly will pay closer attention now.

BTW, what's the difference between sniping and entering a max bid? Doesn't it come down to which number is higher?

Thanks

One problem with snipping services that is not well publicised is that if you get a large number of snip bids hitting an auction at the same time it can clog the system up and not register some of the bids. I have lost quite a few auctions over the years because of this glitch with items ending at below my bid, so its not just buyers that can loose out but sellers as well, its ok if its only a few pence but what if my bid was £100 more.

Trouble is with so many people using sniping services, judging by the number of bids that hit the auctions I watch at 2 to 3 seconds before the auction ends you are in a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    I missed this thread eight months ago, so I found it interesting and informative - particularly the warning to be alert to the auction's home country and currency. I might have noticed - or I might not have, but I certainly will pay closer attention now.

BTW, what's the difference between sniping and entering a max bid? Doesn't it come down to which number is higher?
    The way that Fleabay's system is set up--to encourage multiple bids I suppose--is that bidding is done
    in increments to keep the bidding in some semblance of order. It only shows the next highest bid
    according to its increment system,though the max amounts by various bidders/snipers is in its sys-
    tem. One could snipe at the tail end with one max bid or could have a max bid already set up from
    the beginning of the auction or somewhere in the middle. Sniping is coming in at or near the very
    end of the auction and "stealing" the item away according to the time frame. A snipe could be just
    one amount or have a max amount not yet reached in the waning seconds of the auction.BTW,I
    never use a sniping system--I like the thrill of the chase and I usually know what my max will be.

Clear as mud?

John
    Last edited by pengeezer; February 22nd, 2014 at 06:45 AM.

Thanks

One of the problems with an automated sniping system is that one could get lackadaisical and not
    pay attention to changes in the system--hence they end up paying too much.

John
    Last edited by pengeezer; February 22nd, 2014 at 07:02 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post

If you enter a max bid early in the auction, you are vulnerable to someone else making "probing" bids during the course of the auction, to smoke out your max bid, in which case your cards are exposed and you either lose or pay more than you might have. If you snipe that doesn't happen, because your bid is entered during the last seconds of the auction.

I have observed that when I enter a max bid early, I nearly always get outbid, and there's almost always someone else who seems to be "bidding" in increments just to expose my maximum. When I snipe I win much more often, so if it's something I want, I snipe.

I am not a big eBay person, though.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (February 22nd, 2014), kaisnowbird (February 22nd, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Laura answered Lisa's question well. Max bid can bite you at times.

My reason for using a sniping program, and I pretty much use them all the time, is multi-fold:

• It's convenient, as I don't have to be there when the auction ends
    • I set it early so that I don't forget to "come back and bid on that thing"
    • It is the very best regulator of my resources

The last bit is my own 'speed governor' on my spending habits. When I see something for auction, I really do sit for a minute and try to think just how much I would pay for it, the most I would spend so that if it goes over, I won't feel badly. Once I do, I set the snipe and don't think about it. I rarely watch the auction, to keep "emotional bidding" out of the mix. Sniping has been a very helpful tool in assisting

BTW, my comments about the necroposting were not to imply that the topic wasn't still of interest, but that parties engaged in it back then might not necessarily be reading these days.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin