Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Auction stealer warning

Thanks

Default Auction stealer warning

Hi guys

This a warning for anyone using or thinking of using the Auction Stealer Snipping service.

I used it today and after entering the auction number it asked for my highest bid in USD which I did and in this case I bid $375 USD As my maximum, but when the auction ended it had placed my bid at £375 UKP, so I ended up winning with a high bid of £327 which is a lot more than I wanted to pay a more than I could buy the item for new, it was a Pelikan M1000 I was bidding on, and they are £310 new. So now I have a seller wanting me to pay the final price and there being no way am I going to do that.

Just watch out if you are using Auction Stealer.

Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Auction stealer warning

But you bid that.

Why shouldn't you pay it?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

gwgtaylor (August 14th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

The sniping service is NOT bidding in dollars, it is plugging NUMBERS into a box. You told it to bid up to 375. It has no way of knowing the auction isn't in US funds. Sorry to say this I an expensive user error issue.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

Wrong the site clearly showed I was bidding in USD, I will post a screen capture that's shows this.

As you can see it clearly shows USD and not just a number

image.jpg

Thanks

Well, that's confusing. I generally don't bother with these sniper dodads. I just go by my wristwatch if putting in a late bid.
    Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : '70s Pilot Elite pocket pen review

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flounder For This Useful Post:

gwgtaylor (August 14th, 2013), spotted and speckled (August 19th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Sorry, I used to be in software. What I'm saying is that $ sign is just a symbol. What they aren't telling you is that they don't have an API to eBay that lets them know if the auction is foreign. And what eSnipe or Auction Stealer, etc does is actually plug a number into the bid box on eBay and presses the necessary buttons, etc. (Essentially). I'm saying that no matter what their site shows, they aren't tightly coupled enough with eBay (eBay doesn't want them to be, they don't want you sniping they want you doing it manually and getting into the heat of the moment and raising your bid over and over) to be able to make the translation you want them to make.

If you tell them go to 375 that to them IS just a number. Now, you MIGHT be able to take the SNIPING service to court for failure to provide the service they advertise, but I'm guessing somewhere in their fine print they likely say that this service is not intended for foreign currency auctions and to use at your own risk. I'd be surprised if they didn't. Remember, all these sites are by nature a little shady. They want your money, they don't give a hoot if you get messed up in the process.

Your issue is with the sniping service, not eBay. eBay can force you to pay. Your recourse would be to show the sniping service their own screen shot and then the ACTUAL won auction, and then hope to heck they don't have a "don't use with foreign currency auctions" disclaimer. Sorry.
    Last edited by tandaina; August 14th, 2013 at 12:31 PM.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

You need to be aware of what currency the auction is using and make sure you adjust your bids. That is YOUR responsibility.

This is a relatively cheap lesson though.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

I have to agree with the others. Bidders probably are deemed to know what they are bidding on, including the currency. But clearly you made a mistake here. I'd take that approach, rather than blaming your sniping service. Maybe apologize to the seller profusely and tell him you didn't realize your bid was entered in pounds instead of dollars. One can hope he'll be a nice guy, and then you can give him wonderful feedback.

Thanks

If you look at the first figure in the screen grab above it shows 153.25 that is the dollerc conversion of the £99 that the auction was at when I entered my bid, so they knew full well what they where showing.

I have been using auction stealer for years and never had this happen before.

I was just trying to warn forum members that something was not working right, that's all, shan't bother again though.

Bye

Thanks

I think you have a valid dispute, but it has nothing to do with the seller. You are obligated to pay him/her. They have done nothing wrong.
    Your dispute should be with “Auction Stealer.” Judging by the screen shot, you are paying them for a service that has not performed properly. There is an obligation on their part to fulfill the promises on their website.

At this point, you should pay the seller for the pen. You may consider telling them that you made a mistake and accidentally entered your max bid in U.S. dollars (which is true). Offer to pay for their listing or send them a tiny bit of money for the trouble.

I would then take the issue up with Auction Stealer. Ask them for a refund or for free months of use. They aren’t required to compensate you for your damages, but they are required to deliver a properly working service that you pay for.

Short answer: this isn’t the seller’s fault. Try and reach a friendly agreement, but if you can’t you need to pay for the pen. Take your beef up with the software company and remind them that you’ve been using their service for years.

This is the equivalent of waiting until the last minute to do an online test for school, and then having your internet fail. It’s not the professor’s fault that your internet failed, it’s yours.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mmahany For This Useful Post:

Senior Member I like mango pudding's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah, I think you are hooped with regards to the final price you have to pay. You have to take it up with the sniping site, not the ebay seller. I manually snipe myself. I still get that thrill at the last few seconds. I love the rush. Sniping sites just spoil the fun in all that.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to I like mango pudding For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (August 14th, 2013)

Thanks

I would like to think that if presented as a seller with your evidence, I would be understanding and not hold you to the sale, on the grounds that it would somehow be good business sense and ethics. Maybe the auction thing is not quite the same as buying in a store, but it still seems like grounds for granting a request as a courtesy (though of course entirely up to the seller).

Also, in your shoes, I would be hopping up and down mad, because it sure looks like a mess up.

Finally, I never did figure out sniping much anyway. If I put my highest willing price, someone will either bid higher or not. On those few times the adrenaline got going, I usually bid too high anyway. But it is a good thing I am NOT in business, because I would sink in a skinny minute.

Good luck!

Thanks

I agree you need to settle up with the seller, your problem is the sniper software. Thank you for letting us know the software has a bug in it and improperly calculates bids when set to US dollars.

Having said that, I can't help but feel a bit of evil pleasure. I've lost huge numbers of pens by being sniped by $1-2 after bidding reasonable amounts for them, and the auction history showing 2 bidders, the sniper and I.

Enjoy your new pen!
    Wanted: Clever signature
    Apply in person....

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 79spitfire For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (August 14th, 2013), velo (August 15th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I like mango pudding View Post
    yeah, I think you are hooped with regards to the final price you have to pay. You have to take it up with the sniping site, not the ebay seller. I manually snipe myself. I still get that thrill at the last few seconds. I love the rush. Sniping sites just spoil the fun in all that.
    Quote Originally Posted by 79spitfire View Post
    I agree you need to settle up with the seller, your problem is the sniper software. Thank you for letting us know the software has a bug in it and improperly calculates bids when set to US dollars.

Having said that, I can't help but feel a bit of evil pleasure. I've lost huge numbers of pens by being sniped by $1-2 after bidding reasonable amounts for them, and the auction history showing 2 bidders, the sniper and I.

Enjoy your new pen!
    True that.
    Last edited by velo; August 15th, 2013 at 02:03 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-H View Post
    So now I have a seller wanting me to pay the final price and there being no way am I going to do that.
    Sorry, but feeling a bit sympathy-challenged here. Not only do I agree with 79 Spitfire on how irritating snipers are when you are doing some legitimate bidding, but worse, you did bid the amount you bid. How is it reasonable to say that you have no intention of paying it? This is just the kind of attitude that makes it difficult and unpleasant to be an eBay seller.

Ken

22. The Following User Says Thank You to drgoretex For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (August 15th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drgoretex View Post
    So now I have a seller wanting me to pay the final price and there being no way am I going to do that.
    Sorry, but feeling a bit sympathy-challenged here. Not only do I agree with 79 Spitfire on how irritating snipers are when you are doing some legitimate bidding, but worse, you did bid the amount you bid. How is it reasonable to say that you have no intention of paying it? This is just the kind of attitude that makes it difficult and unpleasant to be an eBay seller.

Ken
    Contrasting "Sniper" with "Legitimate Bidding" of course represents a deep misunderstanding of the auction process.

However, it is quite true the bidder has obligation to pay the seller in this case.

regards

david
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Board /FPnuts : Archived Message Board with focus on vintage.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.
    31000 members and growing. World's heftiest daily vintage pen eye candy

24. The Following User Says Thank You to david i For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 15th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 79spitfire View Post

Enjoy your new pen!

Actually, generally you don't know how much the higher bidder bid, in auctions you lost to a more aggressive bidder.

regards

david
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Board /FPnuts : Archived Message Board with focus on vintage.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.
    31000 members and growing. World's heftiest daily vintage pen eye candy

Thanks

I will certainly continue my policy of not using sniper services after seeing this, so I honestly thank the OP for confirming my notions. I think he is probably firmly on the hook regarding paying the seller, though, as join in urging him to reserve his venom for the service (eBay is blameworthy in many things, but in this I think they're clear).
    Given to daily lunatic raving, but also capable of more prolonged pen-centricity.

Thanks

I was just trying to warn forum members that something was not working right, that's all, shan't bother again though.

Bye
    Don't be like that mate. We know you've got a case against the snipping 'service provider', but you forgot that lots of people lost on really high bids, thus the non symphaty comments above. And I do think it's unfair to the seller and the second highest bidder (which was the first and second last bidder!) if you don't pay. Because if you could get away.. you'd get a new pen, he gets a used pen for 310 GBP and an unwanted roller coaster ride. Yeah?

I second guys above in thanking you for the warning, and don't worry about it.

Tony

Thanks

Paul-H: Don't be uncool about it. Yes, do bother to warn us again - it's useful for us all to know. Thanks

Re. the case in point. Yes, looks like you were shafted by the sniping service small print. I have no knowledge of how software works, but Tandaina's explanation (above) seems valid. One for us all to keep our eyes on. It's a shame that you had to fall foul of it, in order for us to learn.

Have you contacted the seller and explained (including your screen shot)? I'd hope they'd understand and you can both negotiate an agreeable conclusion?
    Have you contacted the sniping service?

Fingers crossed.