Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Auction stealer warning

Thanks

Default Re: Auction stealer warning

Although it does happen sometimes that I'll win an item bidding an hour or more before the end of the auction, it is much more common for me to win when I bid right near the end.

As for automated sniping sites... I just never understood why folks feel comfortable giving their ebay userid and password to some arbitrary / random person out on the net. It just seems like you're opening yourself up for problems.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tenney View Post
    I just never understood why folks feel comfortable giving their ebay userid and password to some arbitrary / random person out on the net. It just seems like you're opening yourself up for problems.
    In the 4-5 years I've used my particular one, I've never had an issue. I'd know it the first time an unauthorized purchase came up, and I'd raise the issue with eBay and change my account. They don't have any link to payment information, so even if an unauthorized bid was submitted, I would simply show documentation that I did not initiate it, cancel all use of the site, and do something different. I never give the sniper authorization or information for payment, just submitting a bid. I see no issue.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I snipe. I do not use a service. As already mentioned, it has more to do with paranoia related to handing out my credentials to an unknown entity and trusting them to keep them safe more than any possible ethics or ego boosting arguments. I also snipe because I do not like to put my max bid out there early so others can inch up my bid. I watch an item, if it goes past what I am willing to pay, I remove it from my watch list and start looking again. I have lost potential auctions just because I did not have time to bid on it at the last second but that is a risk I am willing to take. I have also won some auctions for really good prices so in the end, it all evens out. The person willing to pay the most is going to win if I snipe or proxy bid, so it is all good.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    I snipe. I do not use a service. As already mentioned, it has more to do with paranoia related to handing out my credentials to an unknown entity and trusting them to keep them safe more than any possible ethics or ego boosting arguments. I also snipe because I do not like to put my max bid out there early so others can inch up my bid. I watch an item, if it goes past what I am willing to pay, I remove it from my watch list and start looking again. I have lost potential auctions just because I did not have time to bid on it at the last second but that is a risk I am willing to take. I have also won some auctions for really good prices so in the end, it all evens out. The person willing to pay the most is going to win if I snipe or proxy bid, so it is all good.

+1 on that one.I like to watch the auction just to see how much one is
    willing to overpay.

John
    Last edited by pengeezer; February 26th, 2014 at 02:29 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sumgaikid View Post

willing to overpay.

John
    What if one underpays?

regards

d
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Board /FPnuts : Archived Message Board with focus on vintage.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.
    31000 members and growing. World's heftiest daily vintage pen eye candy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by david i View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sumgaikid View Post

willing to overpay.

John
    What if one underpays?

regards

d
    Then I silently congratulate them on a sumgai buy. Already have seen several this month.

John
    Last edited by pengeezer; February 26th, 2014 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

I have lost potential auctions just because I did not have time to bid on it at the last second but that is a risk I am willing to take. I have also won some auctions for really good prices so in the end, it all evens out. The person willing to pay the most is going to win if I snipe or proxy bid, so it is all good.
    I've manually sniped and used JBidwatcher, which isn't an on-line service. My connections are quite good, and it has worked well for me in the past, though lately it has problems fetching my watch list, so I've had to add auctions to it manually. I do like manual sniping for the fun of it, though. For me this is all entertainment, anyway. Sometimes I will admit to tossing in early and mid-auction bids on various items that I have no intention of making a serious snipe for. This is for fun and just on the off chance that a "miracle" will occur. Sadly, there have been no miracles yet on Montblanc 149s, although I was the non-sniped high bid on one recently that didn't make its reserve price. I would guess that at $175 less than the BIN price, my high bid was probably a good $75 below the reserve price. I sort of won it.
    --
    Mike