Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What pen to go for?

Thanks

Default Re: What pen to go for?

Anything simmilar but cheaper? like -20?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Samuroot1987 View Post
    Anything similar but cheaper? like -20?
    If that was in response to me, then maybe. There are the Noodler's ahab and flex pens, but they don't tend to work out of the box. The nibs often need tuning, which you will have to do. If you like getting inky, silicone greasy, and flexy, then fine. If you want a refined writing instrument then most definitely no. The Reform 1745 is an option (piston filler, plastic construction.) But maybe the best option would be a vintage Sheaffer Snorkel. You can find them unrestored on ebay for ~$25 on ebay, and you get a really high quality product. The restoration is interesting and relatively easy in most cases. There are great youtube videos that give you a step by step video guide on how to restore them. The sacs are easy to find online as well, and many people here or on FPB would love to help you out if you have any questions. By restoring a pen yourself, you feel a closer connection with the pen. I found this when I restored a Parker Duofold Jr. and used it...I liked it all the more. In terms of reliability, a well restored snorkel is really as good as it gets. And who couldn't marvel at the snorkel mechanism!
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

sam just pm him it then he only sees it

4. The Following User Says Thank You to historicink For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (August 15th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Samuroot1987 View Post
    Anything simmilar but cheaper? like -20?
    FPR Dilli? Here or Here.

Thanks

Pilot 78g with a broad (which is actually a stub) nib. Or, I agree, my two Nemosines with the .6 and .8 "calligraphy" ( also stubs) are fantastic.
    http://katexic.com/clippings/
    Love interesting words? Curious links? Great writing? Subscribe to the free, thrice weekly Katexic Clippings newsletter!

Thanks

The most outstanding bargain I can think of is the Baoer 388, currently going for something like $15.99 ... for four of them including post and converters. Robust Parker Sonnet knockoff which writes well as supplied nowadays, if my experience is anything to go by. That's a fine nib though.

Another one which suggests itself is the Platignum Studio No. 5 with the hooded nib. (Actually, I don't much care for the ergonomics of the pen, but it's probably just me). Anyway, it's another robust all metal pen, this time with a wet writing generous medium nib, which worked splendidly out of the box. As far as I know these all take standard cartridges and converters now, rather than the proprietary ones. Mine cost £5, about $8.

+1 on what Fountainpenkid said about Noodlers. I really like them, the Creaper especially, but as a first fountain pen? No way.

Thanks

Lamy safari