Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best envelopes for stationery/writing paper that doesn't come with its own?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Re: Best envelopes for stationery/writing paper that doesn't come with its own?

Quote Originally Posted by jbb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    ...But I ask for the obsolete USPS 2002 airmail stickers anyway. ......
    Stickers?!?! There are stickers?????
    Yep. Post offices have them, even if when sorting mail they ignore them (unlike Priority and Express stickers):

20140806_AirMailLabelSize19BCopy copy.jpeg
    Last edited by FredRydr; April 20th, 2022 at 05:35 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 10th, 2022), jbb (April 20th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

Default Re: Best envelopes for stationery/writing paper that doesn't come with its own?

I found some air mail envelopes at a Safeway supermarket a year or two ago, and bought both boxes. I've already gone through one and have made a sizable dent in the other. I'll miss them when they're gone.

As for matching envelopes to papers such as Tomoe River, one thing you can do is fold an A4 sheet into an envelope-like shape and seal it with washi tape. There are a number of folds you can use, and you can practice with some cheap paper the same size until you come up with a configuration you like.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

rkesey (April 23rd, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

I'm not sure I would use washi tape for sending something abroad but I regularly make my own envelopes and glue the two side flaps to the fold up bottom flap. I use either Pritt stick or permanent glue tape depending on how I feel on the day I'm making them
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

rkesey (April 23rd, 2022)

Thanks

I use staples.ca to get jam monarch envelopes (3.875x7.5) and for most letter writing I use strathmore 24lb/90gsm or recently southworth parchment in assorted finishes from staples.ca (vellum now). I cut the letter size (8.5x11.0) down to executive (7.25x10.5) which is a double-fold into the envelope. A few pages gives the letter a nice feel. The envelop has a mid-level triangle flap which works well for my herbin supple wax seals.

Getting paper at a reasonable price has been a challenge; and there is not a lot of vintage paper that I have seen locally. @jbb was good enough to send me some to sample and it was very interesting.

This solution works well for me and my writing, and allows me to have a consistent experience. Plus these brands seem to be popular so I am not worried about ongoing supplies... yet.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BCDDiggler For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (April 23rd, 2022), jbb (April 22nd, 2022), rkesey (April 23rd, 2022)

Thanks

Got it, thank you!

Thanks

Excellent, thank you! Amalfi is on my short list for someday.

Thanks

Wow, Yoseka has a lot of fun stuff. Thanks!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rkesey For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (April 24th, 2022)

Thanks

Both good ideas--thank you.

Thanks

Great sources--many thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

I exclusively use G. Lalo...such elegant paper and envelopes with great performance...A5 size, I think. They come separately or in sets. I've found they demand a well-tuned nib and ideally something broader than an EF or flexible because of the texture...
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 8th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    I exclusively use G. Lalo...such elegant paper and envelopes with great performance...A5 size, I think. They come separately or in sets. I've found they demand a well-tuned nib and ideally something broader than an EF or flexible because of the texture...
    G. Lalo envelopes are elegant and very good quality. I also like Elco James Velin paper and envelopes when I can get them at a reasonable price. They are really smooth with no texture. Fantastic for letter writing.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Since "I exclusively use..." indicates repeated purchases, would you care to share your favorite place(s) to purchase?
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 8th, 2022)

Thanks

Yep. I use a lot of G. Lalo A5 pads and envelopes to match, in white and cream.

Jon, I get my G. Lalo and Rhodia and most other stationary from Al Cohen and his Crazy Al's Emporium and Office Supplies Store. Al spreads inventory across several tables at the eastern US pen shows, and I buy scads (that's a technical term) of stationary from him to last me well beyond the next show. If you buy a pile, he tends to discount without even asking. He collects fountain pens, too; a few years ago he was into Rotring.

His brick and mortar store is in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, but he does have an online presence. It isn't really set up as an online store. As for me, I much prefer calling on the telephone and ordering when I didn't get enough supplies at the last pen show. If you call, make sure he understands you're one of us, a fountain pen collector/nerd/geek and attend the pen shows.

Crazy Al's Emporium and Office Supplies
    1129 Weaver Dairy Rd Ste Q
    Chapel Hill NC 27514
    (919) 929-8595‬
    https://crazyalansemporium.wordpress.com
    https://www.facebook.com/officesuppliesndmore
    Last edited by FredRydr; May 8th, 2022 at 05:51 AM.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 8th, 2022), Jon Szanto (May 8th, 2022), rkesey (May 8th, 2022)

Thanks

Yes, lovely paper and envelopes, if on the pricier side of what I've got.

Thanks

Elco James Velin sounds wonderful. I don't see them for sale anywhere in the US, but I'll keep an eye out...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rkesey View Post
    Elco James Velin sounds wonderful. I don't see them for sale anywhere in the US, but I'll keep an eye out...
    The paper is not cheap but it's available via Amazon and interestingly it seems to be available from the UK despite currently being temporarily unavailable in the UK. Sadly I can't currently get envelopes at a reasonable price as the price on Amazon is currently very high.
    Last edited by Chrissy; May 9th, 2022 at 04:36 AM.

Thanks

Thank you, Chrissy! I swear I did that same search yesterday and it turned up nothing, but maybe I mistyped... Now to keep an eye out for A5, and envelopes...

Thanks

I've never seen an A5 pad. You can always just turn a sheet of A4 on it's side and write like it's two sheets of A5 joined together down the left hand margin. Or guillotine it in half.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

rkesey (May 10th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I've never seen an A5 pad....
    Did you mean a certain brand in A5 pads? These are A5 (210 x 148mm) pads. Made in France.

IMG_4825.jpg

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

calamus (May 13th, 2022), Chrissy (May 10th, 2022), CrayonAngelss (May 10th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post

Did you mean a certain brand in A5 pads? These are A5 (210 x 148mm) pads. Made in France.
    Sorry yes. I meant the Elco James Velin paper that I had been talking about.