Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best envelopes for stationery/writing paper that doesn't come with its own?

Thanks

Default Best envelopes for stationery/writing paper that doesn't come with its own?

Hello, all.

I write a lot of letters, and use many kinds of paper, and one minor frustration is not having a good envelope match for writing paper that doesn't come with its own. What do you use for your Tomoe River, your Basildon Bond, your Life Bank, and other papers from companies whose envelopes don't exist or are very hard to find?

Envelope recommendations for both A4 and A5 papers in both white and cream most welcome!

Thanks

Default Re: Best envelopes for stationery/writing paper that doesn't come with its own?

I think Staples have Basildon envelopes, the basic ones in champagne color, very close to what I call ivory or cream. They are reasonably priced. I find envelopes at the local book stores and don't pay too much attention to brand. I buy them at those shops that sell all kinds of odd stuff, including stationery. I keep a few sizes for letters and documents. Somtimes I find envelopes lined with tissue paper, those are nice too. I can never remember which enveople size corresponds to standard paper sizes and always have to look it up. DL size takes A4 folded three times length wise. C6 takes A4 folded twice, or A5 folded once. Crown Mill have a good selection if you want nice envelopes, they are a bit more expensive. I don't know how fussy you are with the type of folding and closing of the envelope, there are lots of options. With fancy stationary there are always odd sizes, but they usually come with their own envelopes.
    Last edited by arrow; April 18th, 2022 at 12:53 PM. Reason: getting numbers right

3. The Following User Says Thank You to arrow For This Useful Post:

rkesey (April 23rd, 2022)

Thanks

Default Re: Best envelopes for stationery/writing paper that doesn't come with its own?

Oh, I'll check out Staples for the Basildon--thanks! And I think OCM might end up being my go-to for random beige/cream/ivory. Thanks again.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

I match Tomoe River paper to basic Clairfontaine envelopes or vintage airmail envelopes, but I am fresh out of Tomoe River paper.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 6th, 2022), rkesey (April 23rd, 2022)

Thanks

I like Strathmore, square flap, soft white, wove finish envelopes. They take dip pen well. I also like to make envelopes out of the pages of old atlases.
    JBBPensPaper an Etsy store

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jbb For This Useful Post:

Prettypenguin (August 14th, 2022), rkesey (April 23rd, 2022)

Thanks

Nanami Paper has some C6 envelopes (which hold A5 sheets folded in half). I've ordered from Nanami several times over the years and have always been pleased.

http://www.nanamipaper.com/categorie...rom-japan.html

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robert For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 6th, 2022), rkesey (April 23rd, 2022)

Thanks

That's good--do you have a particular source you're willing to share for vintage airmail envelopes?

Thanks

Old atlases--how very cool. I'll keep an eye out. And yes to Strathmore--I think they have more lines than I'm really familiar with, so I'll scope out more.

Thanks

Nanami looks terrific! Thanks very much for pointing me to them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rkesey View Post
    That's good--do you have a particular source you're willing to share for vintage airmail envelopes?
    Finding vintage airmail envelopes is an ebay/Etsy/yard sale sort of thing in my experience.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jbb For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (April 19th, 2022), rkesey (April 23rd, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,212 Posts

Way back someone recommended Amalfi stationary. handmade paper from Italy. Very pricey, though. You can buy them directly in US from here.
    Otherwise Vanness has a good selection of envelopes, by Clairefontaine/ Midori.

Letterseal has some very fancy French/ Italian ones.
    Last edited by Yazeh; April 19th, 2022 at 01:01 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rkesey View Post
    Finding vintage airmail envelopes is an ebay/Etsy/yard sale sort of thing in my experience.
    Yep. Search eBay and Etsy for "vintage airmail envelope." Beware of modern repros that don't have the same "feel."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Two things:

• Does putting something in an "Air Mail" envelope actually do anything these days? Hasn't the actual concept of putting mail inside an aeroplane and flying it somewhere become ubiquitous?
    • For those looking at online sources, a relatively new player, with a B&M store in NYC, is Yoseka Stationery, featuring a wide range of writing supplies with a big emphasis on Japanese products.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Two things:

• Does putting something in an "Air Mail" envelope actually do anything these days? Hasn't the actual concept of putting mail inside an aeroplane and flying it somewhere become ubiquitous?
    It just makes you look cooler...but you write with a fountain pen, you're already cool.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jbb For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (April 19th, 2022), Jon Szanto (April 19th, 2022), Kudzu (July 15th, 2023), rkesey (April 23rd, 2022), Yazeh (April 19th, 2022)

Thanks

Two things:

• Does putting something in an "Air Mail" envelope actually do anything these days? ...
    One thing: I doubt it.

But I ask for the obsolete USPS 2002 airmail stickers anyway. Some of my penpals put letters in old airmail envelopes which I cannot believe went anywhere near an airplane to reach me. Jon, why not write on your next envelope, "NOT AIRMAIL" just to see what kind of influence it might have on the postal sorting machinery.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (April 19th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Two things:

• Does putting something in an "Air Mail" envelope actually do anything these days? ...
    One thing: I doubt it.

But I ask for the obsolete USPS 2002 airmail stickers anyway. ......
    Stickers?!?! There are stickers?????

27. The Following User Says Thank You to jbb For This Useful Post:

Kudzu (July 15th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

It just makes you look cooler...but you write with a fountain pen, you're already cool.
    Well, I aspire to FredRydr-level coolness.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Well, I aspire to FredRydr-level coolness.
    Don't we all?

30. The Following User Says Thank You to jbb For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (April 19th, 2022)

Thanks

Those blue Par Avion marks still turn up some times. I don't know how much they are used world wide since the A-prioritare or express means much the same. I don't know if there are any risk of letters being shipped as surface mail, but parcels and large thick envelopes might if not A-prioritare or Air Mail is chosen. It can take up to three months. Postage cost can still matter, and thin light weight paper and envelopes can make a difference. The current postage cost for letters here in Norway is sent for 20 g. - 50 g. - 100 g. - 350 gr, at increasing cost.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arrow View Post
    ... I don't know if there are any risk of letters being shipped as surface mail...
    There is when I send them. According to the Royal Mail Chairman's Office there are so many staff changes that some don't know what an E (Europe Air Mail) stamp is since they haven't made them in new designs for a few years. I think some believe E means Economy so they throw the letters into the Surface Mail bin unless I write on my Air Mail envelopes exactly what the E stamp is and how much it's worth.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post: