Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Collecting Handwritten Journals, Letters, and Diaries.

Thanks

Default Re: Collecting Handwritten Journals, Letters, and Diaries.

Most of the journals/diaries I have collected are vintage. Typically between 1930 and 1970. And with the advent of the internet, one of the most enjoyable aspects of collecting the journals of others is researching and endeavoring to find and return the journal if the original owner or family of the owner wants it. So far I have struck out, but someday may be lucky enough to unify one.

Also, I have to say the most enjoyable journals to me are travel journals dating from the 30s and 40s where the journalist is abord a steamship and is filled with descriptions of all their experiences and things like the people they meet while on board. Even autographs. Of course, they describe in detail their on-shore excursions. I have one that was an American that took a cruise to Europe and the Mediterranean. It seems that back in those times that a cruise was much more than just a week or two vacation, but it was not unusual for folks to spend upwards of two or three months and in my judgment, doing it right. So many of the travel journalists include photos, and things like ticket stubs, flower pressings, postcards, and other mementos which makes it so much more delightful to read.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

If it is handwriting you are after more so than content, consider old indentures, deeds and mortgages that courthouse row offices used to archive, but with the increase in population and the sheer number of real estate transactions, they have turned to microfilming and now digitizing. The originals sometimes end up in the hands of local county historical societies which have no room for them, so they are offloaded. Sometimes these boring legal documents from the 18th and 19th centuries have the most beautiful script.

Thanks

You can also look for handwritten court dockets. Oversized books kept records of court cases filed, and their disposition. Some of the everyday business handwriting is beautiful, some legibly utilitarian. Plus you can learn something about legal life in the 1800's: fence viewers, prosecutions for obscenity, coroner juries, the justice of the peace system, etc.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kazoolaw For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (June 13th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

I'm just coming to this thread today. Interesting topic and variety of opinions on journaling and collecting. I think that I've written this elsewhere before, but I have no interest in keeping my journal writing for posterity. My journaling is a practice of meditation, like prayer. It serves a purpose as it is written, but not later in review. I don't write anything about daily events or anything like a diary or reflection on details of my life. And I never reread them. When I fill one journal up, I throw the oldest one on the shelf out. One in, one out. For me it is part of a practice of letting go of thoughts, feelings, etc. Of being in tune with the evanescence of things.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 632 Posts

Posterity being rather abstract, I have placed letters, journals, papers, etc. in a university archive with the hope that they might be of use to others.

One set of oral history interviews was the basis for a documentary film.

Next up are the unpublished works: quite a heap. But we've been evacuated a few times during wildfires and I'd hate to have them all go up in smoke.

Most of this stuff is not handwritten, though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    I'm just coming to this thread today. Interesting topic and variety of opinions on journaling and collecting. I think that I've written this elsewhere before, but I have no interest in keeping my journal writing for posterity. My journaling is a practice of meditation, like prayer. It serves a purpose as it is written, but not later in review. I don't write anything about daily events or anything like a diary or reflection on details of my life. And I never reread them. When I fill one journal up, I throw the oldest one on the shelf out. One in, one out. For me it is part of a practice of letting go of thoughts, feelings, etc. Of being in tune with the evanescence of things.
    This attached video might find some points that resonate to your HABITS OF JOURNALING. This whole theory of journaling to get your goal for success had already taught to the vast audiance by JIM RHONE, one of the pioneer motivative educator.
    This is my favourite video from him.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-qYHYMdniM

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (June 12th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    If it is handwriting you are after more so than content, consider old indentures, deeds and mortgages that courthouse row offices used to archive, but with the increase in population and the sheer number of real estate transactions, they have turned to microfilming and now digitizing. The originals sometimes end up in the hands of local county historical societies which have no room for them, so they are offloaded. Sometimes these boring legal documents from the 18th and 19th centuries have the most beautiful script.
    Yes sir Fred! I have about 1/2 dozen of the indentures that I purchased years ago when you could get them at a reasonable price. The patience that those scribes must have exhibited to put one of those together is nothing short of amazing.

I use a couple of my indentures as backgrounds for pen photography. Turns out well methinks.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bisquitlips For This Useful Post:

Cyril (June 15th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    This attached video might find some points that resonate to your HABITS OF JOURNALING. This whole theory of journaling to get your goal for success had already taught to the vast audiance by JIM RHONE, one of the pioneer motivative educator.
    This is my favourite video from him.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-qYHYMdniM

That video is truly quintessential! Thank you for sharing it!

Thanks

Another journal I have acquired is a 1960s-era account of a woman who spends years looking for a child she gave up for adoption while in her teens. I cannot read too much of this in one sitting as it is severe. I didn't know how painful it was when I purchased it, but am glad I did as the insight into the love of a mother's heart is astonishing. It documents her history of contacts and all the processes she uses to find her son. All she wants to do is to let him know that he was wanted and loved, but in her situation it was impossible and she was forced to give him up. It becomes a calling to her.

I am going to make a concerted effort to get it back into the family at some time in the immediate future now that I have recently retired. I hope I can affect that.
    Last edited by Bisquitlips; June 13th, 2022 at 10:37 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bisquitlips For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (May 18th, 2023)

Thanks

I enjoy reading about your vintage journal finds. I hope I'm not side tracking too much, but what type of writing and nib did you use for the large letters on top of the page? I can't do swirls like that, but I am up for an attempt at the letters.

[/QUOTE]

17. The Following User Says Thank You to arrow For This Useful Post:

Cyril (June 11th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
    Yes sir Fred! I have about 1/2 dozen of the indentures that I purchased years ago when you could get them at a reasonable price. The patience that those scribes must have exhibited to put one of those together is nothing short of amazing.

I use a couple of my indentures as backgrounds for pen photography. Turns out well methinks.

Turns out very well. Especially when the pen is such an eye-catching pen as a Christie. A writer photographed on writing? Perfect.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (June 14th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by arrow View Post
    I enjoy reading about your vintage journal finds. I hope I'm not side tracking too much, but what type of writing and nib did you use for the large letters on top of the page? I can't do swirls like that, but I am up for an attempt at the letters.

[/QUOTE]

The indenture was purchased. I did not write it. I am sure a very flexy dip pen was used as it was written in the 1850s.

Thanks

Oh, of course, I should have realised right away. I suspect a stub nib, and like you mention, probably some flex in the tines. It is a line from very fine to very broad, and a very decorative script.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to arrow For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (June 16th, 2022)

Thanks

I am still searching for the child's family that was given up being documented in this thread for those who are still interested.

This has been wrenching. And I don't think I will do it again. Ever.

You would think that after 40+ years the pain would dull. No.

I will share it here as I make any progress.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bisquitlips For This Useful Post:

JulieParadise (May 18th, 2023), Yazeh (May 18th, 2023)

Thanks

Thank you for your effort, and sorry for the pain it causes you.
    On a lighter note, there are "autograph" books that were contain signatures, little poems, sayings, memories, compiled perhaps on the occasion of high school graduation. They have examples of handwriting styles, and reflect a bit of the times they were created in.