Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sailor Music Nib

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Default Sailor Music Nib

So I grabbed Bungu Box's new Sailor Pro Gear fountain pen (purple, sparkles, so pretty) and had them put a music nib in, what the heck never tried a Sailor music nib...

I have NEVER had so many hard starts and "run out of inks" with a good quality gold nib in my LIFE. It is really bad. When it write it is lovely, but it doesn't write consistently. It'll hard start, and then write for a bit, and then just run out of ink. I'm guessing given the MASSIVE tipping that it has a baby bottom issue but was wondering if anyone else has run into this and best advice to fix. I have done MINOR nib work before (smooth out a rough writer with the Goulet nib tuning kit).

PXL_20220502_211304484 by tandaina, on Flickr
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Barry B. Gabay (October 15th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,387 Times in 1,698 Posts

Default Re: Sailor Music Nib

Have you tried it with different inks?
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Welcome back! How's Gin Nami? That is a surpassingly beautiful pen.

Thanks

I've had both the 14k and 21k Sailor Music nibs and they performed flawlessly.

I know it doesn't help your problem, but that is a beautiful pen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    I've had both the 14k and 21k Sailor Music nibs and they performed flawlessly.

I know it doesn't help your problem, but that is a beautiful pen.

I haven't, literally just arrived and I inked it with the Bungu Box ink that inspired it. WHEN it writes it is SUPER wet which makes me suspect it isn't the ink but I guess that'll be another testing step.
    ---

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by empliau View Post
    Welcome back! How's Gin Nami? That is a surpassingly beautiful pen.
    Very well, inked actually and sitting next to me. That nib sorta inspired me to get this one because who doesn't like a big fat wide nib (that one has a Nakaya BB ground into a cursive italic).
    ---

Thanks

Gin Nami is an inspiration to me. I don't have a custom Nakaya like it, but I loved the photos and now have three ao-tame! I wish I had had the wisdom to get something like the silver on the section, but alas, the ao is gone forever. Like you, I have BB CI and stub Nakayas.

Thanks

I've been thinking (always a dangerous proposition). Seems to be a new pen...have you tried giving it a good cleaning? Could be mold release on the feed. I'd try some Rapido-Eze before digging deeper.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (May 2nd, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,246 Posts

I agree - I'd give it a good scrub with a toothbrush and a tiny bit of dish soap.

Thanks

I wonder if the nib and section was swapped or if the nib was pulled and changed and the feed is not keeping up or is misaligned? The pen should flow well and not be prone to hard starts.
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    So I grabbed Bungu Box's new Sailor Pro Gear fountain pen (purple, sparkles, so pretty) and had them put a music nib in, what the heck never tried a Sailor music nib...

I have NEVER had so many hard starts and "run out of inks" with a good quality gold nib in my LIFE. It is really bad. When it write it is lovely, but it doesn't write consistently. It'll hard start, and then write for a bit, and then just run out of ink. I'm guessing given the MASSIVE tipping that it has a baby bottom issue but was wondering if anyone else has run into this and best advice to fix. I have done MINOR nib work before (smooth out a rough writer with the Goulet nib tuning kit).

PXL_20220502_211304484 by tandaina, on
    Flickr
    I have the same nib on a Sailor pen like your's . This nib is a strange nib. This is the nib they called MUSIC. It is only "two tines" nib with a " double plus broad" with a bulby tip.
    Someone proposed me I am not using this pen correctly and that is why it is not writing. So it seems we need to learn music wring which sounds to me a bit complicating.
    Basically other Japanese music nibs ( PILOT and PLATINUM ) are always three tines nibs. They are better and very expensive than Sailor.
    I tried to grind it on a sand paper but I stopped half way as I was not confident of how it was going to be. Now I am using that pen for up-side down writing. I am waiting to get it grinded to an ARCHITECT GRINDING.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post

PXL_20220502_211304484 by tandaina, on
    Flickr
    I have the same nib on a Sailor pen like your's . This nib is a strange nib. This is the nib they called MUSIC. It is only "two tines" nib with a " double plus broad" with a bulby tip.
    Someone proposed me I am not using this pen correctly and that is why it is not writing. So it seems we need to learn music wring which sounds to me a bit complicating.
    Basically other Japanese music nibs ( PILOT and PLATINUM ) are always three tines nibs. They are better and very expensive than Sailor.
    I tried to grind it on a sand paper but I stopped half way as I was not confident of how it was going to be. Now I am using that pen for up-side down writing. I am waiting to get it grinded to an ARCHITECT GRINDING.
    After sitting for a day it seems better, but it is definitely a picky one. I may just have it ground to my favorite left hand oblique cursive italic because there's certainly enough tipping to do ANYTHING.
    ---

Thanks

The next factor to consider is the size of the shower head. Generally, the larger the shower head, the more powerful the water pressure it will provide. If you’re looking for a lot of pressure, choose a large shower head. Conversely, if you’re looking for a more moderate level of pressure, a smaller shower head might be the way to go. https://showerheadwave.com/best-handheld-shower-head/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Herry View Post
    The next factor to consider is the size of the shower head. Generally, the larger the shower head, the more powerful the water pressure it will provide. If you’re looking for a lot of pressure, choose a large shower head. Conversely, if you’re looking for a more moderate level of pressure, a smaller shower head might be the way to go. https://showerheadwave.com/best-handheld-shower-head/
    Wow, the spam bots have gotten desperate...
    ---

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Herry View Post
    Wow, the spam bots have gotten desperate...
    Yeah, AI has feelings, too, nowadays.

Hey, anyone likes their Sailor music nibs? I sure love mine:

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JulieParadise For This Useful Post:

Barry B. Gabay (March 8th, 2024), carlos.q (October 7th, 2023), Cyril (October 11th, 2023), Yazeh (October 7th, 2023)

Thanks

Oh I love that first pen, BEAUTIFUL. I am a sucker for glittery flecks suspended in the resin. Heh.

I love my other Sailor nibs but just couldn't get the music nib to write. So it is off with a nib meister being ground into a nice cursive italic. I'll stick with my vintage (flexible) music nib. But those little Sailor Pro Gear pens are sure collectible.
    ---

Thanks

Post digging, did you get your Music nib to write properly?

What you described in your first post is what I initially got with my 1911S MF nib. I eventually "fixed" it by exchanging the feed with another 1911S I had...I think there was something with the nib or feed being just a little off that caused that irregular ink flow.

Thanks

You seems to be enjoying this pen, It is good....
    I have this pen and sadly it is too BB size for me. I tried to grind it but did not do so as I was waiting for a suitable day to do it. for the time being I am using the nib upside down and it gives me finer line .
    I like Sailor and I have a collection of Five more Pro-gear slim pens. They are fine writers.
    Last edited by Cyril; October 11th, 2023 at 03:33 PM.

Thanks

Greatfull for stumbling upon this blog post! It's packed with valuable insights and practical tips. Thank you for sharing! Innocence test

Thanks

Who says bots don't spam twice