Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Sailor Music Nib

  1. #1
    Senior Member tandaina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,940
    Thanks
    361
    Thanked 2,045 Times in 788 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Sailor Music Nib

    So I grabbed Bungu Box's new Sailor Pro Gear fountain pen (purple, sparkles, so pretty) and had them put a music nib in, what the heck never tried a Sailor music nib...

    I have NEVER had so many hard starts and "run out of inks" with a good quality gold nib in my LIFE. It is really bad. When it write it is lovely, but it doesn't write consistently. It'll hard start, and then write for a bit, and then just run out of ink. I'm guessing given the MASSIVE tipping that it has a baby bottom issue but was wondering if anyone else has run into this and best advice to fix. I have done MINOR nib work before (smooth out a rough writer with the Goulet nib tuning kit).

    PXL_20220502_211304484 by tandaina, on Flickr
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

  2. #2
    Senior Member Sailor Kenshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Where pigs run free!
    Posts
    3,216
    Thanks
    4,585
    Thanked 2,157 Times in 1,189 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Sailor Music Nib

    Have you tried it with different inks?
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

    And my other blog is a tumblr!

    My eBooks. Because why not.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    133
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked 72 Times in 47 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Sailor Music Nib

    Welcome back! How's Gin Nami? That is a surpassingly beautiful pen.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Wile E Coyote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    18SWK7534504853
    Posts
    928
    Thanks
    195
    Thanked 617 Times in 361 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Sailor Music Nib

    I've had both the 14k and 21k Sailor Music nibs and they performed flawlessly.

    I know it doesn't help your problem, but that is a beautiful pen.

  5. #5
    Senior Member tandaina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,940
    Thanks
    361
    Thanked 2,045 Times in 788 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Sailor Music Nib

    Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    I've had both the 14k and 21k Sailor Music nibs and they performed flawlessly.

    I know it doesn't help your problem, but that is a beautiful pen.

    I haven't, literally just arrived and I inked it with the Bungu Box ink that inspired it. WHEN it writes it is SUPER wet which makes me suspect it isn't the ink but I guess that'll be another testing step.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

  6. #6
    Senior Member tandaina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,940
    Thanks
    361
    Thanked 2,045 Times in 788 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Sailor Music Nib

    Quote Originally Posted by empliau View Post
    Welcome back! How's Gin Nami? That is a surpassingly beautiful pen.
    Very well, inked actually and sitting next to me. That nib sorta inspired me to get this one because who doesn't like a big fat wide nib (that one has a Nakaya BB ground into a cursive italic).
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    133
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked 72 Times in 47 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Sailor Music Nib

    Gin Nami is an inspiration to me. I don't have a custom Nakaya like it, but I loved the photos and now have three ao-tame! I wish I had had the wisdom to get something like the silver on the section, but alas, the ao is gone forever. Like you, I have BB CI and stub Nakayas.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Wile E Coyote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    18SWK7534504853
    Posts
    928
    Thanks
    195
    Thanked 617 Times in 361 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Sailor Music Nib

    I've been thinking (always a dangerous proposition). Seems to be a new pen...have you tried giving it a good cleaning? Could be mold release on the feed. I'd try some Rapido-Eze before digging deeper.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

    Lloyd (May 2nd, 2022)

  10. #9
    Senior Member mizgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    3,191
    Thanks
    1,014
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 917 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Sailor Music Nib

    I agree - I'd give it a good scrub with a toothbrush and a tiny bit of dish soap.

  11. #10
    Senior Member Mags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    1,225
    Thanks
    362
    Thanked 496 Times in 291 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Sailor Music Nib

    I wonder if the nib and section was swapped or if the nib was pulled and changed and the feed is not keeping up or is misaligned? The pen should flow well and not be prone to hard starts.
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

  12. #11
    Senior Member Cyril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    658
    Thanks
    1,112
    Thanked 411 Times in 223 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Sailor Music Nib

    Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    So I grabbed Bungu Box's new Sailor Pro Gear fountain pen (purple, sparkles, so pretty) and had them put a music nib in, what the heck never tried a Sailor music nib...

    I have NEVER had so many hard starts and "run out of inks" with a good quality gold nib in my LIFE. It is really bad. When it write it is lovely, but it doesn't write consistently. It'll hard start, and then write for a bit, and then just run out of ink. I'm guessing given the MASSIVE tipping that it has a baby bottom issue but was wondering if anyone else has run into this and best advice to fix. I have done MINOR nib work before (smooth out a rough writer with the Goulet nib tuning kit).

    PXL_20220502_211304484 by tandaina, on
    Flickr
    I have the same nib on a Sailor pen like your's . This nib is a strange nib. This is the nib they called MUSIC. It is only "two tines" nib with a " double plus broad" with a bulby tip.
    Someone proposed me I am not using this pen correctly and that is why it is not writing. So it seems we need to learn music wring which sounds to me a bit complicating.
    Basically other Japanese music nibs ( PILOT and PLATINUM ) are always three tines nibs. They are better and very expensive than Sailor.
    I tried to grind it on a sand paper but I stopped half way as I was not confident of how it was going to be. Now I am using that pen for up-side down writing. I am waiting to get it grinded to an ARCHITECT GRINDING.

  13. #12
    Senior Member tandaina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,940
    Thanks
    361
    Thanked 2,045 Times in 788 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Sailor Music Nib

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    So I grabbed Bungu Box's new Sailor Pro Gear fountain pen (purple, sparkles, so pretty) and had them put a music nib in, what the heck never tried a Sailor music nib...

    I have NEVER had so many hard starts and "run out of inks" with a good quality gold nib in my LIFE. It is really bad. When it write it is lovely, but it doesn't write consistently. It'll hard start, and then write for a bit, and then just run out of ink. I'm guessing given the MASSIVE tipping that it has a baby bottom issue but was wondering if anyone else has run into this and best advice to fix. I have done MINOR nib work before (smooth out a rough writer with the Goulet nib tuning kit).

    PXL_20220502_211304484 by tandaina, on
    Flickr
    I have the same nib on a Sailor pen like your's . This nib is a strange nib. This is the nib they called MUSIC. It is only "two tines" nib with a " double plus broad" with a bulby tip.
    Someone proposed me I am not using this pen correctly and that is why it is not writing. So it seems we need to learn music wring which sounds to me a bit complicating.
    Basically other Japanese music nibs ( PILOT and PLATINUM ) are always three tines nibs. They are better and very expensive than Sailor.
    I tried to grind it on a sand paper but I stopped half way as I was not confident of how it was going to be. Now I am using that pen for up-side down writing. I am waiting to get it grinded to an ARCHITECT GRINDING.
    After sitting for a day it seems better, but it is definitely a picky one. I may just have it ground to my favorite left hand oblique cursive italic because there's certainly enough tipping to do ANYTHING.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •