Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Is FPGeeks still a pleasant place to stay?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Default Re: Is FPGeeks still a pleasant place to stay?

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Perhaps my having an autistic child has made me more tolerant of other's bad behaviors.
    I can't say the same, but two of my closest friends are parents in this way, as well. Your child is blessed to have you and your unwavering sensitivity, and it is an inspiration to those who know of this. Thank you, in the largest sense possible.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

jar (June 22nd, 2022), jeffj (June 22nd, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 654 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Perhaps my having an autistic child has made me more tolerant of other's bad behaviors.
    I can't say the same, but two of my closest friends are parents in this way, as well. Your child is blessed to have you and your unwavering sensitivity, and it is an inspiration to those who know of this. Thank you, in the largest sense possible.
    Honestly, Jon, whether I have a daughter with ASD or not shouldn't suddenly change your opinion of me.

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    We can still be symapthetic even about those who are simply pathetic.
    Hmm. I've never watched a telethon for the pathetic.

M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    What you are is what you have been.
    What you will be is what you do now.
    -Buddha
    Not really a quote by the Buddha, but actually first coined by Sogyal Rinpoche. A likely paraphrasing of the law of karma that should read 'What you are is what you have done, what you will be is what you do now'.

If that is offered in good faith then I thank you for the reminder to be mindful of actions.

If it offered in mockery, then I also thank you for the reminder to be mindful of actions.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (June 22nd, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Honestly, Jon, whether I have a daughter with ASD or not shouldn't suddenly change your opinion of me.
    Honestly, it hasn't, as both PMs and rep comments of the past would document. I've expressed publically and privately my admiration for your empathy. I won't go back on that.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (June 22nd, 2022)

Thanks

Sorry, Jon, if I misinterpreted you.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lloyd For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (June 22nd, 2022), TSherbs (June 22nd, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,321 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    -Buddha
    Not really a quote by the Buddha, but actually first coined by Sogyal Rinpoche. A likely paraphrasing of the law of karma that should read 'What you are is what you have done, what you will be is what you do now'.

If that is offered in good faith then I thank you for the reminder to be mindful of actions.

If it offered in mockery, then I also thank you for the reminder to be mindful of actions.
    Sincerely offered, rings true, and is pertinent; regardless of the accuracy of attribution.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

"According to Buddhism, compassion is an aspiration, a state of mind, wanting others to be free from suffering. It's not passive — it's not empathy alone — but rather an empathetic altruism that actively strives to free others from suffering. Genuine compassion must have both wisdom and lovingkindness. That is to say, one must understand the nature of the suffering from which we wish to free others (this is wisdom), and one must experience deep intimacy and empathy with other sentient beings (this is lovingkindness)."

The Essence of the Heart Sutra by His Holiness the Dalai Lama

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (June 22nd, 2022)

Thanks

-Buddha

Sincerely offered, rings true, and is pertinent; regardless of the accuracy of attribution.
    Thanks. The correction rings true, but the originally posted version was internally inconsistent with an understanding of karma. This was likely a translation error when it was originally published.

Thanks

"According to Buddhism, compassion is an aspiration, a state of mind, wanting others to be free from suffering. It's not passive — it's not empathy alone — but rather an empathetic altruism that actively strives to free others from suffering. Genuine compassion must have both wisdom and lovingkindness. That is to say, one must understand the nature of the suffering from which we wish to free others (this is wisdom), and one must experience deep intimacy and empathy with other sentient beings (this is lovingkindness)."

EoC - I am glad you're making such an effort. However, many here, myself included aren't Buddhists. While I have less issue with it than most other religions, I'd prefer if you didn't continue to make quotes from it here. It's the same feeling I would get if someone started quoting scriptures.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    ...simply pathetic.
    No one is "simply" this.

Thanks

EoC - I am glad you're making such an effort. However, many here, myself included aren't Buddhists. While I have less issue with it than most other religions, I'd prefer if you didn't continue to make quotes from it here. It's the same feeling I would get if someone started quoting scriptures.
    What is wrong with quoting religious text about growth, compassion, and anger? Why would you object to that?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Bold2013 (June 23rd, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    And yet, @EoC: I would rather hear from you in your own voice than the most beautiful quotes or creative personas.
    Alas, my words are but a shadow of those that are offered. It has been said, by friends and colleagues over the years, that I am fine storyteller in the oral traditions. That may be so, but for reasons that elude me it has never translated well to the page. This is further exacerbated online when the audience, in the main, do not share common life referents, and so misunderstanding and misinterpretation abounds.

So, I don't really have an international voice in the written word sense.

To put something else to rest, the personas I play with, the alternative modes of writing, are all just exercises in creative writing and expression. Designing and implementing an 'alternate self' is relatively easy with regard to setting rules on language and sentence composition. The really hard thing to do though it write entirely from a perspective that differs from one's own. Occasionally someone may pick up on my nuances in an alternate persona and the gig is up! Though these days I have greater success with creating a more complete character than in the past, and are almost impossible to detect by others.

That is the explanation of this exercise directly from the author, and is definitive.

Thanks

The quotes merit reading and introspection irrespective of their origin, and if they had been my own words I would have still have offered them.

However, in the spirit of learning from each other, could you describe the feeling that you get? PM me if you would rather not say this publicly. Your privacy is assured.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,321 Posts

Well "Talk Like a Pirate" day has seemed to fallen out of internet fashion, so if you want to revive that...
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (June 22nd, 2022), Lloyd (June 22nd, 2022)

Thanks

Well "Talk Like a Pirate" day has seemed to fallen out of internet fashion, so if you want to revive that...
    Awesome!
    One of my favourite days of the year, always enthusiastically celebrated, sometimes with costumes.

For those who don't know, it's Monday 19th September, so put it in your diaries! ha haa

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post

What is wrong with quoting religious text about growth, compassion, and anger? Why would you object to that?
    I'd prefer if it were less quotes and more himself. Most of his recent posts have been exclusively quotations.

Thanks

I'd prefer if it were less quotes and more himself. Most of his recent posts have been exclusively quotations.

I thought you said that you weren't the "commander"?

Why are so many people trying to tell EoC how to feel and view things and express his deep values? For fuck sake, he quotes poetry. That's what we all need more of. Maybe it is time to simply listen for a bit. Sit in our own receptive, open states.

Thanks

EoC - when you only post in other people's words, it feels inauthentic. Also, sometimes the quote seems more pertinent to your growth than to others. It's only a request - is not a demand. I do like the quotes, I just want more EoC.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    So much suffering occurs from our seeking things where they cannot be found.
    Irony has truly and finally died. No memorial service is planned.
    Which "irony" did you mean here, Jon?