Thread: Cleaning / Flushing a vintage Esterbrook LJ

Thanks

Default Cleaning / Flushing a vintage Esterbrook LJ

This is a restored pen, and a lovely writer.

How do I clean the sack? I've been simply sucking up and ejecting warm water, as if I were filling it with ink.

Is this the best way to flush the ink?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Default Re: Cleaning / Flushing a vintage Esterbrook LJ

It isn't the only way, but is certainly the most common one. Of course, any pen with a lever/button fill sac system is a bit laborious, especially if the ink was quite saturated, or if ink dried out inside the sac.

The one thing you *can* do with a vintage Estie, if you like, is to remove the nib and power-flush (with care). The nib unit unscrews, and you can either soak that or run it in an ultrasonic cleaner. Then you have the option of a more active flushing of the sac. I have used a blunt needle syringe for years for both filling pens with ink, and then flushing cartridges and converters with water. by filling a syringe, inserting it and then applying a good deal of pressure (squeezing quickly), you can get the ink flushed out quickly.

I finally realized this year that, hey, they probably make these in a higher capaticy - I've always had a 6 ml syringe. So I hopped on eBay and for a couple of bucks ordered three 20 ml syringes. They make larger ones but I thought they might be too big for one-handed use. It works really well, one big flush and they are clean. It would do a great job with the Estis, as would the smaller ones. Just be careful with even a blunt needle, and maybe not has much pressure with the latex sac.

Hope that helps.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (July 6th, 2022), LuckyLefty19 (May 18th, 2023), Medievalist (May 11th, 2022), Stands on Feet (May 11th, 2022)

Thanks

That helps a lot. Thanks so much.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

How clean does it need to be?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Giving a serious answer as to my personal use: the water coming out of a pen has to be clear enough that it won't tint the next ink if a different color. I can deel with less-flushed out if re-inking after many uses or using a similar ink (i.e. just making sure to dilute and flush any old ink build-up). I don't use overly-saturated inks, pigment inks, or inks with any particulates (glitter/shimmer) in a sac-filling pen. I don't feel a pen has to be clean enough to administer IV fluids or serve Sunday tea on.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (May 11th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Giving a serious answer as to my personal use: the water coming out of a pen has to be clear enough that it won't tint the next ink if a different color. I can deel with less-flushed out if re-inking after many uses or using a similar ink (i.e. just making sure to dilute and flush any old ink build-up). I don't use overly-saturated inks, pigment inks, or inks with any particulates (glitter/shimmer) in a sac-filling pen. I don't feel a pen has to be clean enough to administer IV fluids or serve Sunday tea on.
    I do like to sometimes use a different ink, but I think it's good to rinse the pen even if I'm using the same ink.
    Last edited by Medievalist; May 11th, 2022 at 02:49 PM.

Thanks

If you fill the pen and then flush it a few times the flushed water should come fairly clear. Some inks might put you to more trouble. I usually don't want to fill and flush in very many cycles, so as not to wear the sac out. Each pen user will have a personal level of fastidiousness. I have gone through different levels myself, and now I rarely use any of these pens. I just like to look at the things now.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 355 Posts

Agree with the same ink in the same pen thing……
    And I’m one of those loonies that only puts blue ink in a blue pen , red in a red pen etc.
    being in OZ , in summer my pens do dry out when they don’t get used for a few days 🤣 so I flush a bit before refilling , otherwise it ink gets more and more concentrated .

I’ve always wondered if the proprietary 'pen flush' people sell is better that water ?!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robalone View Post
    Agree with the same ink in the same pen thing……
    And I’m one of those loonies that only puts blue ink in a blue pen , red in a red pen etc.
    being in OZ , in summer my pens do dry out when they don’t get used for a few days 🤣 so I flush a bit before refilling , otherwise it ink gets more and more concentrated .

I’ve always wondered if the proprietary 'pen flush' people sell is better that water ?!
    Well, "pen flush" is usually 10% ammonia, so it cleans a little more than plain water. (I usually make my own, since ammonia is cheap and water is free)

Thanks

Water and a bulb syringe. Unscrew nib, flush run nib under water, screw it back in.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain