Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Noodler's Inks relabeling?

Thanks

Default Re: Noodler's Inks relabeling?

Speaking of non-sequiturs, here's my totally unscientific test, in which, I dunk a writing sample of Noodler's Ink Purple Heart on 20lb printer paper:

Before:
    20220605_185349.jpg

30 seconds in:
    20220605_185447.jpg

At 5 minutes:
    20220605_190053.jpg

After rubbing the paper with my thumb:
    20220605_190215.jpg

As this was highly absorbent paper, I suspect it would do far worse on a heavily sized paper like Clairfontaine. So while it is an Eel series ink (lubricated), it is nowhere close to Bulletproof. Thanks for the corrections, Lloyd and others.
    Last edited by SlowMovingTarget; June 5th, 2022 at 05:38 PM.
    "The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here..." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SlowMovingTarget For This Useful Post:

AzJon (June 5th, 2022), eachan (June 6th, 2022), Jon Szanto (June 5th, 2022), TSherbs (June 5th, 2022), Yazeh (June 6th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    [22.1130-1131/17.6.6]

redirect response-creator self-labelled niner to https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...d-Chinese-Pens

data indicates common behavioral pattern in units of organic populations
    yeah, didn't he call The People's Republic of China "Red"? I don't recall "Red" being a part of the title of that country, except in a pejorative sense... i.e. "name-calling." <headscratch>

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

AzJon (June 5th, 2022), eachan (June 6th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 637 Posts

It must have been tough being named Red Buttons.

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lloyd For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (June 6th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    It must have been tough being named Red Buttons.
    One can only assume he disliked the moniker Aaron Chwatt even more.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Well, would you look at that. Purple Heart held up pretty well! That's kinda nice to see.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (June 6th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Niner View Post
    Name-calling. "Calamity" for "Calamus". I wouldn't say that this thread is heading for the gutter. Rather, it's heading for the sewer.

It's easy to find us-versus-them thinking on the internet. Tribalism. The angry mindlessness of drunken (or even sober!) sports team fanatics physically attacking fans of opposing sports teams. It would be good for us to refrain from uncivil attacks here. I chose the "Calamity" name-calling example because it is recent and within this thread. There are other examples.
    Lol. Go type "calamus" into your phone and see what it auto-corrects as.

You have to admit, that is kinda funny.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

eachan (June 6th, 2022), Jon Szanto (June 5th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

cal·a·mus | ˈkaləməs |
    noun (plural calami | ˈkaləˌmī | )
    1 another term for sweet flag.
    • (also calamus root) a preparation of the aromatic root of the sweet flag.
    2 Zoology the hollow lower part of the shaft of a feather, which lacks barbs; a quill.
    ORIGIN
    late Middle English (denoting a reed or an aromatic plant mentioned in the Bible): from Latin, from Greek kalamos. calamus (sense 1) dates from the mid 17th century.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (June 6th, 2022), SlowMovingTarget (June 6th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    [22.1130-1131/17.6.6]

redirect response-creator self-labelled niner to https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...d-Chinese-Pens

yeah, didn't he call The People's Republic of China "Red"? I don't recall "Red" being a part of the title of that country, except in a pejorative sense... i.e. "name-calling." <headscratch>
    No need for head-scratching. The regime in question is not a member of this forum. It's not even a person.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Niner For This Useful Post:

dneal (June 8th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

[22.1258-1301/01.7.6]

/name calling/

definition

/...the use of offensive names especially to win an argument or to induce rejection or condemnation (as of a person or project) without objective consideration of the facts./

source merriam-webster

response-creator self-labelled niner employs /name calling/ rejects /name calling/ by other organic units

archive search suggests /hypocrisy/ and-or /double-standard/

Thanks

[22.1130-1131/17.6.6]

No need for head-scratching. The regime in question is not a member of this forum. It's not even a person.
    [22.1258-1301/01.7.6]

/name calling/

definition

/...the use of offensive names especially to win an argument or to induce rejection or condemnation (as of a person or project) without objective consideration of the facts./

source merriam-webster

response-creator self-labelled niner employs /name calling/ rejects /name calling/ by other organic units

archive search suggests /hypocrisy/ and-or /double-standard/

AI's current level of reading comprehension leaves something to be desired.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

[22.1347-1347/34.7.6]

use of term /red/ with term /china/ clear objective to be pejorative

pejorative equates name calling

response-creator self-labelled niner attempt to avoid responsibility noted

for archive: organic behaviour update

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

"Red" refers to the communist government. If that's pejorative, they've earned it.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (June 7th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    "Red" refers to the communist government. If that's pejorative, they've earned it.
    The first satellite they launched broadcast their de facto national anthem, The East is Red. Red. Go figure, eh?

Thanks

The first satellite they launched broadcast their de facto national anthem, The East is Red. Red. Go figure, eh?
    So you meant it as a compliment? Nothing pejorative? No negative connotation? You know, like simply having said "China" would not have been enough, so you had to append the word "Red" just to make sure which "China" you meant to go along with all the other negative references you listed?

Come on, Niner. My only point is that you engaged in the same kind of negative labeling that you were decrying. We've all slipped into it around here. You, too, it turns out.

If you'd like to debate the difference between buying pens from small Chinese shop owners and trying to make a stand against Chinese governmental abuses, I'm all in. The governmental abuses I abhor. The small shop owner trying to eke out a living through ebay to the global market I support. I feel the same way about, say, vendors in Arkansas or Indiana. The governing bodies and persons of those states I find cruelly errant. But that has nothing to do with how I feel about purchasing products from businesses or individuals in those states.

You are of course free, as I said above, to govern your purchasing patterns according to whatever rules of thumb that you wish. For me, the conusmer is king/queen etc.

Thanks

sorry, I am just remembering that this "red" stuff came from another thread. My bad. I won't comment on it any more over here.

Back to Noodler's....

24. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (June 7th, 2022)

Thanks

So you meant it as a compliment? Nothing pejorative? No negative connotation? You know, like simply having said "China" would not have been enough, so you had to append the word "Red" just to make sure which "China" you meant to go along with all the other negative references you listed?

Come on, Niner. My only point is that you engaged in the same kind of negative labeling that you were decrying. We've all slipped into it around here. You, too, it turns out.

If you'd like to debate the difference between buying pens from small Chinese shop owners and trying to make a stand against Chinese governmental abuses, I'm all in. The governmental abuses I abhor. The small shop owner trying to eke out a living through ebay to the global market I support. I feel the same way about, say, vendors in Arkansas or Indiana. The governing bodies and persons of those states I find cruelly errant. But that has nothing to do with how I feel about purchasing products from businesses or individuals in those states.

You are of course free, as I said above, to govern your purchasing patterns according to whatever rules of thumb that you wish. For me, the conusmer is king/queen etc.
    You're correct that my intent was to specify which China I meant. My hope when initially posting about this was that readers who had not considered whether their purchase of the pens would support (whether directly or indirectly) the continuing horrors that I listed might go on to consider it. So of course I had to specify which country.

If my use of "Red" is pejorative, then Mao's (The East is Red satellite broadcast and his Little Red Book being examples) were as well. But I see that you and I are at an impasse on this matter. My hard feelings are limited to the regime in question.

Thanks

sorry, I am just remembering that this "red" stuff came from another thread. My bad. I won't comment on it any more over here.

Back to Noodler's....
    Part of that fits with the withdrawal of Tiananmen from sale, I suppose. I hope the ink will come back as another name, at least. I have a bottle, and it's a good red ink (not permanent). It's currently marked by Nathan as simply withdrawn.
    "The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here..." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SlowMovingTarget View Post

Back to Noodler's....
    Part of that fits with the withdrawal of Tiananmen from sale, I suppose. I hope the ink will come back as another name, at least. I have a bottle, and it's a good red ink (not permanent). It's currently marked by Nathan as simply withdrawn.
    I meant to buy a bottle, and only because of the name. I really like most Noodler labels.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SlowMovingTarget View Post

Back to Noodler's....
    I meant to buy a bottle, and only because of the name. I really like most Noodler labels.
    I bought that one for the label, and because I had no red ink at the time. I keep using it because I really like how it flows and how it looks on the page. It's silly, I know, but I also get a tiny portion of ironic satisfaction from the fact that I've dedicated a Jinhao x750 to the ink (modified with a Jowo nib from Goulet Pens).

I wouldn't recommend the ink if long dry times get on your nerves, though. It is can't-turn-the-page-for-15-minutes slow for dry times with Optik or Clairfontaine paper.
    Last edited by SlowMovingTarget; June 7th, 2022 at 12:23 PM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to SlowMovingTarget For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (June 7th, 2022)

Thanks

It's not my favorite kind of red. The dry time doesn't bug me.