Thread: Need advice for a Pilot Capless Decimo

Thanks

Default Need advice for a Pilot Capless Decimo

Hello Everyone,

I just acquired a used Pilot Capless Decimo through Ebay. The seller had claimed it was in good condition.

Upon arrival I noticed that it already had a blue black ink cartridge with particles of dry ink in it. It also wasn't writing too well. The former owner clearly had left it inked for a long time, allowing it to dry out.

I opened the pen and gave the nib unit a thorough wash. I soaked it in water with a drop of soap overnight and rinsed it in fresh water many times. A lot of old and dry ink got washed out.

It writes much better now but still stops in between, and I have to shake it to get it write again.
    Is there anything I can do to get it to write properly? It looks like there's still some old ink clogging the feed, but I could be wrong.
    Any advice will be deeply appreciated.

It's a lovely pen overall and I got it much cheaper than a new one. So I would like to retain it.

Thanks in anticipation.

Thanks

Default Re: Need advice for a Pilot Capless Decimo

The usual...Rapido-eze and ultrasonic will restore almost any dried ink problems.

IMHO I think everyone that uses/cleans FPs should have both. It even helps with new pens that are finicky due to manufacturing chemicals left in/on feeds and nibs.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 15th, 2022), gnat9 (May 16th, 2022), Niner (July 13th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    The usual...Rapido-eze and ultrasonic will restore almost any dried ink problems.

IMHO I think everyone that uses/cleans FPs should have both. It even helps with new pens that are finicky due to manufacturing chemicals left in/on feeds and nibs.
    That's my experience, too. For too long I struggled with poor ink flow in a 146 despite forced flushings with the nib unit removed. I finally retrieved the ultrasonic from the garage and tossed the disassembled feed and collar into its tank. The 146 is now writing as it should. Ultrasonic cleaners good enough for fountain pen work are surprisingly inexpensive, not much more than the cost of a bottle of Rapido-eze!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 16th, 2022), gnat9 (May 16th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

For me personally I use the ultrasonic a couple of times before I get the Rapido-eze out, but either of these methods will get the job done.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

gnat9 (May 16th, 2022), Niner (July 13th, 2022)