Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bulb syringes

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Bulb syringes

Today, my last cheap bulb syringe has, as usual, burst at the seam around its perimeter. Years ago I bought several of them on Amazon to save shipping cost, but it was false economy due to poor quality. Mind you, they were intended for gentle flushing of ears, not high pressure flushing of nib units and feeds.

Luckily, as backup I have some desoldering bulbs recommended by Ron. They have no glued seam to burst apart. Just pull the plastic nozzle off and you’re good to go.

Good:

Bad:
    Last edited by FredRydr; May 15th, 2022 at 11:13 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Default Re: Bulb syringes

I've been using the same two, blue ear syringes for years for flushing pens. I would miss the ability of the 'pointed' end to stick into the back of the section.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I've been using the same two, blue ear syringes for years for flushing pens. I would miss the ability of the 'pointed' end to stick into the back of the section.
    I slide the end over the back of the section, immerse the section and squeeze...in and out. That's what causes the seam to inevitably fail.

Thanks

You brute.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I use the blue ones from a local pharmacy. A little different from the one Fred pictured. But have never split one either. Then again, I'm possibly a tad less vigorous in my application of force.

A little hint: Cut the back off a cartridge and insert into the bulb for flushing cartridge/converter pens. You might have to trim the bulb back a bit. I have one each for international, Pilot, Sailor, and Cross.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (May 15th, 2022), TSherbs (May 15th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Mine bust at the seams, too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    I use the blue ones from a local pharmacy. A little different from the one Fred pictured. But have never split one either....
    Better! I got what I paid for. <sigh!>

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    I use the blue ones from a local pharmacy. A little different from the one Fred pictured. But have never split one either. Then again, I'm possibly a tad less vigorous in my application of force.

A little hint: Cut the back off a cartridge and insert into the bulb for flushing cartridge/converter pens. You might have to trim the bulb back a bit. I have one each for international, Pilot, Sailor, and Cross.
    yeah these look just right...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (May 15th, 2022)

Thanks

Still Life with Bulb Syringe, 2022

~ Benjamin Franklin

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 15th, 2022), CrayonAngelss (May 15th, 2022), mizgeorge (May 15th, 2022), Niner (July 13th, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (July 14th, 2022), TSherbs (May 15th, 2022)

Thanks

the color of my sad tear

Thanks

Hey, Jon, that desk calendar looks a bit empty. I'd say, "Where is your lawn-mowing chore written down?" but then I remember where you live. Or, maybe you honor "no-mow May." I don't.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Hey, Jon, that desk calendar looks a bit empty. I'd say, "Where is your lawn-mowing chore written down?" but then I remember where you live. Or, maybe you honor "no-mow May." I don't.
    Answer #1: I had a couple of these left over from when I was caring for parents. They were clipped to the refrig and kept track of all the drs appts and caregivers, etc. After all that ended I realized they make great desk blotters: I use them for a couple of months, they get messed up with random ink smudges and whatnot, and then I tear off and have a clean 'desktop'!

Answer #2 (Dark Humor version): The lawn? Hell, I'm just waiting for a good brushfire to sweep through my back yard!

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Answer #1: I had a couple of these left over from when I was caring for parents. They were clipped to the refrig and kept track of all the drs appts and caregivers, etc. After all that ended I realized they make great desk blotters: I use them for a couple of months, they get messed up with random ink smudges and whatnot, and then I tear off and have a clean 'desktop'!

Answer #2 (Dark Humor version): The lawn? Hell, I'm just waiting for a good brushfire to sweep through my back yard!
    Dude, I believe in jinxes!!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I slide the end over the back of the section, immerse the section and squeeze...in and out. That's what causes the seam to inevitably fail.
    I have had two of your "bad" versions burst around that seam. The ones I have now are a bit too small so I'm looking for a couple of decent ones. Those pictured by Wile E Coyote and Jon look quite good.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Still Life with Bulb Syringe, 2022
    Jon, Is that NFT going to be posted in the FPGeeks Flea Market anytime soon?

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 16th, 2022), Jon Szanto (May 15th, 2022), TSherbs (May 15th, 2022)

Thanks

Dude, I believe in jinxes!!
    I'll mow, first thing in the morning. What passes for a 'lawn' is a very small area in the back yard fille with mostly a ground cover (lipia) and a bit of grass. Takes 5 minutes to mow.

~ Benjamin Franklin

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (May 15th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Rather than drawing water back in through the section, I move my syringe to a container of clean water, draw water there, then force the clean water through the section into the dirty container. All out through the section, no in. Maybe I add complexity for little gain.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

Drawing water back in through the section seems like the same as the action of filling the pen. I tend to let water come back into the ear bulb like Fred does.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Niner (July 14th, 2022), TSherbs (July 14th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Drawing water back in through the section seems like the same as the action of filling the pen. I tend to let water come back into the ear bulb like Fred does.
    Same here. With clear sections, I can see that the action going both ways helps remove ink (eg, in a Preppy, where getting ink out from between those many feed fins inside the section can be challenging). Maybe this shortens the life of the bulb, tho.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

26. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (July 14th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,212 Posts

I'm too lazy to use a bulb syringe. I use a 100 mil syring. Though I won't recommend it for pen with weak/ tender nipples...