Thread: A Tale of Two Pen Manufacturers

Thanks

Default A Tale of Two Pen Manufacturers

A few months ago, I bought a Leonardo Furore. The clip came loose, so I returned it to the retailer for a Momento Zero. The nib tines on it were pressed together so tightly that the pen wouldn't write, and I could not get the tines separated. I asked for, and was given a replacement nib. It had a similar issue, but not as bad, and I was able to get that nib to work. Then, a plastic ring at the bottom of the cap developed a crack, so I asked Leonardo for a replacement. I received a nasty email in response, claiming that I had damaged the pen - I hadn't. They refused to send a replacement cap. Fortunately, the retailer that sold me the pen took care of the issue for me.

I've been using fountain pens for decades, and chalked these issues up to bad luck, and didn't blame Leonardo. It happens. However, receiving a nasty email, and refusing to back their product is not acceptable.

I also own a TWSBI. I once stained the finial, and asked for a replacement. Philip send me one for $3, including shipping. Recently, a small piece of the rose gold plating on the cap flaked off. Philip sent me a new cap for $6. He was polite, and took care of the issues fairly and quickly, as he always has.

Now, when I go to buy another fountain pen, guess which company will get my business...

I just thought everyone would want to know.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SkyCyclePilot For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (June 1st, 2022), eachan (June 2nd, 2022), Yazeh (June 2nd, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

Default Re: A Tale of Two Pen Manufacturers

Yeah but TWSBIs are ugly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    The Diamond Rose Gold Mini is one of the most attractive pens I own. It's also one of my best writing pens.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SkyCyclePilot View Post
    The Diamond Rose Gold Mini is one of the most attractive pens I own. It's also one of my best writing pens.
    Glad you like it! I own a Mini, too (got it for my son going to college, but he didn't take to it). Used it yesterday.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SkyCyclePilot View Post
    Glad you like it! I own a Mini, too (got it for my son going to college, but he didn't take to it). Used it yesterday.
    And for the record, I can't disagree with you about some TWSBIs. The cheaper ones could be nicer looking, but I think some of the more expensive ones look nice - some of the 580s, Minis, and Vacs are nice. I especially like the Rose Gold versions, and the Vac700 Iris.

Thanks

I think that it all comes down to what is called "After Sales". You can produce the best looking, subjective, pens in the world but if they have problems and you ask the producer / seller to fix them and they reply in a nasty way, well they lose a customer.

Leonardo never replied to a few emails I sent them. Well, I can live without Leonardo.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoA64 View Post
    I think that it all comes down to what is called "After Sales". You can produce the best looking, subjective, pens in the world but if they have problems and you ask the producer / seller to fix them and they reply in a nasty way, well they lose a customer.

Leonardo never replied to a few emails I sent them. Well, I can live without Leonardo.
    I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one having problems with them. I won't do business with them again. Had it not been for Goldspot, I would have lost my investment in my Momento Zero. The whole thing left me with a bad impression, and I'm likely going to sell the pen.

Thanks

Saddened to hear of your experience with Leonardo. Mine have all been great, but one nib that started losing its gold plating. An email to Leonardo resulted in a new section with and unit sent immediately.
    Hope your experience is not a sign of the future.

Scot