Thread: Please Help Newbie Identify

Thanks

Default Please Help Newbie Identify

Pen capped is 130mm. Posted is 140mm. Came in Sheaffer's plastic box with a green sticker labeled Inventory Control Record that has list of several Sheaffer's pens. Tried unsuccessfully to unscrew the nib section using a hair dryer carefully for several minutes. I searched eBay and Google to identify it but no luck. What I noticed right away is that I don't see an exposed black feed. I first thought that it was perhaps a nonworking dummy store display model. This small pen really writes a nice line, much like my Targa by Sheaffer's. In the future I'd like to do a better search, so I'd like advice on how to go about identifying pens and doing a more thorough search. Often times, I use PenHero.com and Richard Binder's Pen Collection List to start my searches.
    Last edited by singlechange; May 22nd, 2022 at 08:38 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Default Re: Please Help Newbie Identify

The first thing I noticed was the style of this inlaid nib, which I thought was likely the nib design that is commonly referred to as the "Dolphin" nib. Then I looked at a couple of likely sources, and I think it is possible you are holding a Sheaffer 500 "Dolphin" fountain pen with the Touchdown filling system. Take a look at this listing on Peyton Street Pens. If you scroll down in that listing there should be enough photos to compare to your pen to check if they are the same. I couldn't zoom in on your photos to check some details.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 22nd, 2022), eachan (May 23rd, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

I usually tend to start searches with Google. For this pen I typed in "Sheaffer inlaid nibs vintage" then clicked on Images. Pen Hero.com came up with: "The Evolution of the Sheaffer Inlaid nib 1959 - Present" so I clicked on that, went there and the "500 Dolphin Touchdown 1962-64" is the fourth picture down on that article.

Perhaps when you went to Pen Hero this time you may have missed out the more important details of "vintage" or "inlaid nibs" in your search? It's easily done. Searches sometimes need to be carefully honed down to get rid of most of the stuff you don't need.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

eachan (May 23rd, 2022)

Thanks

Jon and Chrissy, a big thank you both for your response. I've learned something about honing down my searches. So the pen is a Sheaffer's 500 Dolphin Touchdown, a strangely shaped pen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by singlechange View Post
    Jon and Chrissy, a big thank you both for your response. I've learned something about honing down my searches. So the pen is a Sheaffer's 500 Dolphin Touchdown, a strangely shaped pen.
    Yes, somewhat strange but they are normally very nice writers and workhorse pens.

Thanks

MKeith, Thank you for sharing your assessment of this Sheaffer's Dolphin Touchdown. It's a keeper for sure. Costing me $12 to get it, I feel pleasantly surprised at what I found and all the help received here identifying it. Love this forum.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Remember usually a number on a Sheaffer pen was not a model but rather a price point. Sheaffer 500's would have had an MSRP of $5.00 while a 1250 would have been $12.50.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (May 25th, 2022)