Thread: Editing an initial post to a thread

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Editing an initial post AND TITLE to a thread. You gotta act quickly!

Occasionally there are comments about what can be done to a post that starts a thread which aren't fully correct, based on current settings and glitches of FPGeeks in vBulletin. My experience so far has revealed the following, but please add your observations.

- The initial post can be edited, but it cannot be deleted. There is no time limit.

- The title of an initial post can also be edited. There is no time limit to edit the title BUT there is only a short period of time (I've never tested the length of time) for any edits to appear in the forum's title list. Once those few minutes or seconds pass, the title is locked in the forum's title list, while subsequent edits to a title will show at the top of the opened thread.

I will use this thread as an example. I will post it, wait a few minutes, then edit the title. Compare the title in the forum thread list to the title of this opened thread.
    Last edited by FredRydr; May 26th, 2022 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Because

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

Default Re: Editing an initial post to a thread

Yes you can edit your own initial post but you can't delete it.
    Yes you can edit your title of your own initial post as you have done. But you can't change the original thread title that is completely on it's own and above the grey bar above your initial post because it is in the forum title list and has already become a numbered link. It's locked in the forum's title list when you post your initial post.

You don't HAVE to act quickly to edit your own title. I've just edited this title for a thread I posted in March.

Your can edit and delete your own posts on here forever.
    Last edited by Chrissy; May 26th, 2022 at 07:21 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    ...you can't change the original thread title that is completely on it's own and above the grey bar above your initial post because it is in the forum title list and has already become a numbered link. It's locked in the forum's title list when you post your initial post.
    That is not entirely true, my main point of this thread. There is a short period of time that edits to the title will be included in the forum's title list.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    ...you can't change the original thread title that is completely on it's own and above the grey bar above your initial post because it is in the forum title list and has already become a numbered link. It's locked in the forum's title list when you post your initial post.
    That is not entirely true, my main point of this thread. There is a short period of time that edits to the title will be included in the forum's title list.
    I've tried it many times and have never managed to edit the actual thread title in the forum list. You ran out of time yes? It didn't change the linked title.

Thanks

I know from experience that if edited within a short period of time, an edited title will also appear edited in the forum title list. I suggest the next time you start a thread that within 10 seconds of saving the initial post you edit the title, save it and observe. I do not know the maximum period of time.

(I saw the source of confusion about deleting threads, and I've deleted those posts.)

Thanks

I've seen a typo straight away but have never managed to change the title in the forum title list.

I'll try it again as you suggest

Thanks

You were proved right Fred. I just posted a thread and immediately edited the title to change one letter to upper case and it altered the forum title too. Within 8 seconds.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
    Deleting (vs editing) the initial post in a thread in vBulletin deletes the thread.

Editing the title of a thread is dependent on two settings; one that allows users to edit the thread they started, and another that's a time period, measured in seconds.
    Please advise how you delete your own initial thread without going to Edit Post because on here Delete Post doesn't appear in Edit Post when it's an initial thread.

Here's what I see when I press Edit Post for my thread:

Attachment 70218
    Last edited by Chrissy; May 26th, 2022 at 11:34 PM.