Thread: Computer Problems - Always stressful!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

Default Computer Problems - Always stressful!

My iMac seemed to have a problem that was not affecting my MacBook Pro and iPhone. It wasn't updating Photos. Very minor I know. But Apple tried for hours and after starting with one Photos tech, then being transferred to a second Photos tech in Ireland, then being transferred to the system tech in Ireland they still couldn't work out what was wrong hours later. It ended up that there were several odd things wrong with communication that no-one could fix.

We started after breakfast and missed lunch by hours. Eventually we were advised that the best thing to do was to upgrade the OS to Mojave (we can't go any further than that because of Adobe Photoshop CS6.) He sent us the download link and we said we would upgrade it the next day as we had a couple of other things to do before it was dark.

Wednesday the upgrade was done and amazingly it was all straightforward and the Photos problem was fixed. Yay. It was a really stressful day and evening though while we waited.

Have to say I really love the Mojave wallpaper. It starts off sunny and light gold then goes darker as time passes throughout the day. It's currently dark grey. Very impressive. Love it.

MacBook Pro upgrade next....
    Last edited by Chrissy; May 26th, 2022 at 02:48 PM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 632 Posts

Default Re: Computer Problems - Always stressful!

Glad you got it fixed. I have problems opening old Word files and have to go through several steps to translate them to text files with heaps of formatting trash.

If a horse tries to kick you, you can give it a whack and holler.

Doesn't work with a computer.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 26th, 2022)

Thanks

Yes computers seem to go their own way when they feel like it.

It seems like after we had uploaded our passport photos via iPhone Photos our iCloud comms from the iMac were messed up. On the other hand looking at my passport photo I can't say I really blame it
    Last edited by Chrissy; May 27th, 2022 at 01:30 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Along those lines...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 27th, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (May 27th, 2022)

Thanks

Photos/iCloud sync has always been a bit of a mystery to me.

I've had stints of it just not working, only to decide it would work again.

Now my current annoying problem with Photos-my main computer is an M1 MacBook Pro running Monteray. It can take a day or two sometimes for Photos to sync.

On the other hand, I've more or less turned my old 2012 MacBook Pro(9,1) into a desktop. It's connected to a pair of 27" Thunderbolt displays, and works very well in that role. In fact I was using a 2012 Mini, but the MBP is better as it is a quad core with a discrete GPU and 2012 Minis could only be had with integrated GPUs. It is running Mojave-I actually don't worry about Photoshop/Lightroom anymore, but I have other 32 bit programs. When I was regularly using the 9,1 as a laptop, I had the same sluggish iCloud Photos update problem. Now in its current role, Photos update generally within 10 minutes of my taking them.

Thanks

Apparently Photos sync is different and doesn't sync to the iCloud like other programs such as Pages and Numbers. If Apple has their own techs just for Photos then you get a clue how often it must go wrong. Since the upgrade to Mojave my iPhone has been showing me an occasional Keychain link asking me to press OK or input a code from another machine, but I've checked it and it saves passwords and logs me in without any apparent problems.

When I was talking to the tech he actually said that in his opinion Mojave was their best OS because it could cope with 32bit and 64 bit software and that they only had to sacrifice the 32 bit part because people wanted faster 64 bit software and that was their best way to get it faster.
    Last edited by Chrissy; May 31st, 2022 at 09:03 AM.

Thanks

There was a moment in my life when I decided to get a mac for work. At first, I really liked how compact and convenient it was to carry around. But over time, he began to lag a lot and I returned to Windows.
    Fountain pen enthusiast and research writer at writemyessaysos.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    When I was talking to the tech he actually said that in his opinion Mojave was their best OS because it could cope with 32bit and 64 bit software and that they only had to sacrifice the 32 bit part because people wanted faster 64 bit software and that was their best way to get it faster.
    Mojave is one of those high points of MacOS/OS X design as far as I'm concerned.

The others are 10.6.8(Snow Leopard) and 10.4.11(Tiger). 10.5.8(Leopard) gets a lot of attention as the newest to run on PowerPC computers, but 10.4.11 IMO is more stable and less resource heavy. It also is the newest version to support the Classic environment. That means that it can-quite literally-run any Macintosh program from 1984 on up until software quit supporting it around 2009 or so.

10.6.8 is basically Leopard that's been optimized and refined. Among other benefits, it is the newest to support Rosetta, the PowerPC emulator, so has a lot of backward compatibility.

Jetting legacy support has its ups and downs. On one hand, you end up with massive bloat like you have in Windows trying to make sure everything will work. The classic Macintosh OS(OS 9.2.2 and earlier) had a lot of that same issue and they claimed that by the time OS 9 rolled around that no one at Apple actually fully understood everything going on in it. The Motorola 68K emulator(Macs used those CPUs from 1984 to the early to mid 1990s) was deeply baked into the OS. That made its use absolutely seamless, but there were parts of the core OS that depended on the emulator to run despite OS 8.1 being the newest to actually run on 68K CPUs. With that aside, getting rid of legacy support has let Apple keep their OSs SOMEWHAT more efficient, but at the cost, of course, of older software that was never updated.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

I'll pretend I understood all that...and I use Mac.

Thanks

I don't get it. No mention of the B6700, CANDE, ALGOL, and WFL? Nor PDPs, nor VAX VMS? C'mon, everyone can learn to use that stuff. It's not steam engine science, after all!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niner View Post
    I don't get it. No mention of the B6700, CANDE, ALGOL, and WFL? Nor PDPs, nor VAX VMS? C'mon, everyone can learn to use that stuff. It's not steam engine science, after all!
    Sir Arthur Conan Doyle had Sherlock Holmes saying, "I consider that a man's brain originally is like a little empty attic, and you have to stock it with such furniture as you choose. [...] It is a mistake to think that that little room has elastic walls and can distend to any extent. [...] It is of the highest importance, therefore, not to have useless facts elbowing out the useful ones." So, I can reassemble a fountain pen and even a 2015 MacBook, but not strings of code. The attic is full.
    Last edited by FredRydr; June 3rd, 2022 at 03:36 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Sir Arthur Conan Doyle had Sherlock Holmes saying, "I consider that a man's brain originally is like a little empty attic, and you have to stock it with such furniture as you choose. [...] It is a mistake to think that that little room has elastic walls and can distend to any extent. [...] It is of the highest importance, therefore, not to have useless facts elbowing out the useful ones." So, I can reassemble a fountain pen and even a 2015 MacBook, but not strings of code. The attic is full.
    So is mine. On the other hand my brain has never been any good at remembering facts about computers.

Thanks

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle had Sherlock Holmes saying, "I consider that a man's brain originally is like a little empty attic, and you have to stock it with such furniture as you choose. [...] It is a mistake to think that that little room has elastic walls and can distend to any extent."
    Sir Arthur was onto something. My attic is dusty, cluttered, disordered, and nearly full.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    So is mine. On the other hand my brain has never been any good at remembering facts about computers.
    To make it clear that I haven't meant to belittle anyone: The specific technologies I referred to are from the 1960s and 1970s. Thus my claim that "It's not steam engine science, after all!"
    Last edited by Niner; June 3rd, 2022 at 09:12 AM. Reason: clarity