Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55

Thread: How do you know if you are banned from Fpn?

  1. #1
    Senior Member RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    154
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked 200 Times in 105 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default How do you know if you are banned from Fpn?

    If you cannot sign in to FPN, even with a new password, and you see the message 'you did not pass the security test' does this mean that you are banned?

    Would you expect that Fpn would always send an email confirming any ban?

    Tia

  2. #2
    Senior Member Wile E Coyote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    18SWK7534504853
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    190
    Thanked 596 Times in 352 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: How do you know if you are banned from Fpn?

    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    If you cannot sign in to FPN, even with a new password, and you see the message 'you did not pass the security test' does this mean that you are banned?

    Would you expect that Fpn would always send an email confirming any ban?

    Tia
    I think the FPN badge of honor (aka banned status) is when you can login, but can't post.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

    BlkWhiteFilmPix (May 31st, 2022), RobJohnson (May 29th, 2022)

  4. #3
    Senior Member RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    154
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked 200 Times in 105 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: How do you know if you are banned from Fpn?

    Thank you Sir.

    I cannot log in nor contact the Admin.

    Not to worry.

    Appreciate your response.

  5. #4
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    8,968
    Thanks
    4,915
    Thanked 8,026 Times in 3,215 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: How do you know if you are banned from Fpn?

    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post

    Would you expect that Fpn would always send an email confirming any ban?
    The only person who can ban someone from FPN is the Admin (Wim) and he wouldn't send an email confirming it - he would just do it.

    Edited to add: I can confirm that several years ago I eventually received an email from Wim stating that he was the only person on FPN who could actually ban (rather than suspend) anyone and that he would send no emails as confirmation of it. At the time he was aware that not all members received automatic private messages about suspensions due to a glitch.
    Last edited by Chrissy; May 30th, 2022 at 12:05 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    RobJohnson (May 29th, 2022)

  7. #5
    Senior Member RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    154
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked 200 Times in 105 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: How do you know if you are banned from Fpn?

    I think that this might have happened,

    Ah well.

  8. #6
    Senior Member Chip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    884
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 611 Times in 336 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: How do you know if you are banned from Fpn?

    Some websites have an outside option (try a search) for contacting the admin. I used that to get logged back in to a writing website that had shut me out for no reason.

    They asked me a few questions to verify my identity, then I was able to get back on.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

    RobJohnson (May 29th, 2022)

  10. #7
    Senior Member Empty_of_Clouds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,953
    Thanks
    772
    Thanked 2,397 Times in 1,207 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: How do you know if you are banned from Fpn?

    [22.1146-1147/30.30.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    The only person who can ban someone from FPN is the Admin (Wim) and he wouldn't send an email confirming it - he would just do it.
    The response-creator self-labelled as Chrissy is incorrect.

    Emails are sent from the site-creator self-labelled Wim and/or another [unspecified] entity with responsibility for administration.

    Banned site-members are labelled as [away] near the avatar.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; May 29th, 2022 at 06:47 PM.
    There is no subject so old that something new cannot be said about it.

    Fyodor Dostoevsky

  11. #8
    Senior Member Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    972
    Thanks
    1,439
    Thanked 510 Times in 301 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: How do you know if you are banned from Fpn?

    I can still login at FPN

    Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

  12. #9
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,072
    Thanks
    7,047
    Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,619 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: How do you know if you are banned from Fpn?

    IIRC, I was suspended from posting for a 2-week period once, but I could still log in. Ghost Plane contacted me, though I don't know if they were the one to enact the suspension. In any event, I was able to msg with GP to discuss the matter but not post to the forums, etc. What a funny place that has been over the years.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

    RobJohnson (May 29th, 2022)

  14. #10
    Senior Member RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    154
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked 200 Times in 105 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: How do you know if you are banned from Fpn?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    IIRC, I was suspended from posting for a 2-week period once, but I could still log in. Ghost Plane contacted me, though I don't know if they were the one to enact the suspension. In any event, I was able to msg with GP to discuss the matter but not post to the forums, etc. What a funny place that has been over the years.
    Thank you, yes certainly is a funny place. I can still read the posts in all places apart from Chatter, there looks to be a lot less traffic than in the past.

    I think that the ban was due to my posting a thread in Chatter which used an image from GQ about stylish clothing and accessories for men, it included a notebook, pen and other things that I like. The discussion went on for six pages, simply continuing the idea of style and modern man, then someone made a racist icomment, I reported it and asked for the post to be removed. It was removed but then Wim decided in a big grey message that I was to blame at least in part because I had started a thread which could result in someone, one person, making a racist comment that had little or nothing to do with thread.

    It was also claimed that my thread was both gender specific and non inclusive, which is a fair comment and true, it was about men's clothing, shoes and accessories including watches, pens and so on, there is not much that I can say about that if that is a valid criticism.

    If I am banned then okay.

    Thanks all for the comments and thoughts.

  15. #11
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,072
    Thanks
    7,047
    Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,619 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: How do you know if you are banned from Fpn?

    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    It was also claimed that my thread was both gender specific and non inclusive, which is a fair comment and true, it was about men's clothing, shoes and accessories including watches, pens and so on, there is not much that I can say about that if that is a valid criticism.
    The word logic does not contain "FPN", and vice versa.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

    dneal (May 30th, 2022), Pendragon (June 5th, 2022)

  17. #12
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    8,968
    Thanks
    4,915
    Thanked 8,026 Times in 3,215 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: How do you know if you are banned from Fpn?

    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    [22.1146-1147/30.30.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    The only person who can ban someone from FPN is the Admin (Wim) and he wouldn't send an email confirming it - he would just do it.
    The response-creator self-labelled as Chrissy is incorrect.

    Emails are sent from the site-creator self-labelled Wim and/or another [unspecified] entity with responsibility for administration.

    This information is inaccurate.
    Last edited by Chrissy; May 29th, 2022 at 11:59 PM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  18. #13
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    8,968
    Thanks
    4,915
    Thanked 8,026 Times in 3,215 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: How do you know if you are banned from Fpn?

    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post

    Thank you, yes certainly is a funny place. I can still read the posts in all places apart from Chatter, there looks to be a lot less traffic than in the past.

    I think that the ban was due to my posting a thread in Chatter which used an image from GQ about stylish clothing and accessories for men, it included a notebook, pen and other things that I like. The discussion went on for six pages, simply continuing the idea of style and modern man, then someone made a racist icomment, I reported it and asked for the post to be removed. It was removed but then Wim decided in a big grey message that I was to blame at least in part because I had started a thread which could result in someone, one person, making a racist comment that had little or nothing to do with thread.

    It was also claimed that my thread was both gender specific and non inclusive, which is a fair comment and true, it was about men's clothing, shoes and accessories including watches, pens and so on, there is not much that I can say about that if that is a valid criticism.

    If I am banned then okay.

    Thanks all for the comments and thoughts.
    If you can go in and read posts then you could go and find your ID and see if you're marked as "Away" on there. If you're not and it's only a log-in problem than you can contact admin somewhere for sure. I don't use the place so I have no idea where it might be.

    Edited to add that there is a Contact Us link at the bottom of the main forum page that you can click on
    Last edited by Chrissy; May 30th, 2022 at 12:09 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    RobJohnson (May 30th, 2022)

  20. #14
    Senior Member Empty_of_Clouds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,953
    Thanks
    772
    Thanked 2,397 Times in 1,207 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: How do you know if you are banned from Fpn?

    [22.1854-1855/05.30.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    [22.1146-1147/30.30.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    The only person who can ban someone from FPN is the Admin (Wim) and he wouldn't send an email confirming it - he would just do it.
    The response-creator self-labelled as Chrissy is incorrect.

    Emails are sent from the site-creator self-labelled Wim and/or another [unspecified] entity with responsibility for administration.

    This information is inaccurate.


    post-creator offers data from direct experience

    message was sent to post-creator on alternate website by entity with responsibility for administration of website

    status of post-creator was altered to [away] on avatar

    data is correct

    response-creator self-labelled Chrissy remains incorrect
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; May 30th, 2022 at 12:58 AM.
    There is no subject so old that something new cannot be said about it.

    Fyodor Dostoevsky

  21. #15
    Senior Member RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    154
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked 200 Times in 105 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: How do you know if you are banned from Fpn?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post

    Thank you, yes certainly is a funny place. I can still read the posts in all places apart from Chatter, there looks to be a lot less traffic than in the past.

    I think that the ban was due to my posting a thread in Chatter which used an image from GQ about stylish clothing and accessories for men, it included a notebook, pen and other things that I like. The discussion went on for six pages, simply continuing the idea of style and modern man, then someone made a racist icomment, I reported it and asked for the post to be removed. It was removed but then Wim decided in a big grey message that I was to blame at least in part because I had started a thread which could result in someone, one person, making a racist comment that had little or nothing to do with thread.

    It was also claimed that my thread was both gender specific and non inclusive, which is a fair comment and true, it was about men's clothing, shoes and accessories including watches, pens and so on, there is not much that I can say about that if that is a valid criticism.

    If I am banned then okay.

    Thanks all for the comments and thoughts.
    If you can go in and read posts then you could go and find your ID and see if you're marked as "Away" on there. If you're not and it's only a log-in problem than you can contact admin somewhere for sure. I don't use the place so I have no idea where it might be.

    Edited to add that there is a Contact Us link at the bottom of the main forum page that you can click on
    Thanks.

    The Contact Us message service adds to my thinking that there may be a ban even preventing contact. There are three boxes and all must be completed, the Message box will not allow me add anything.

    It could be a software issue, not sure.

    I think I will try on someone else's computer and see what happens.

    Thank you all for your comments and advice.

  22. #16
    Senior Member Sailor Kenshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Where pigs run free!
    Posts
    3,190
    Thanks
    4,532
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 1,184 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: How do you know if you are banned from Fpn?

    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post

    Thank you, yes certainly is a funny place. I can still read the posts in all places apart from Chatter, there looks to be a lot less traffic than in the past.

    I think that the ban was due to my posting a thread in Chatter which used an image from GQ about stylish clothing and accessories for men, it included a notebook, pen and other things that I like. The discussion went on for six pages, simply continuing the idea of style and modern man, then someone made a racist icomment, I reported it and asked for the post to be removed. It was removed but then Wim decided in a big grey message that I was to blame at least in part because I had started a thread which could result in someone, one person, making a racist comment that had little or nothing to do with thread.

    It was also claimed that my thread was both gender specific and non inclusive, which is a fair comment and true, it was about men's clothing, shoes and accessories including watches, pens and so on, there is not much that I can say about that if that is a valid criticism.

    If I am banned then okay.

    Thanks all for the comments and thoughts.
    If you can go in and read posts then you could go and find your ID and see if you're marked as "Away" on there. If you're not and it's only a log-in problem than you can contact admin somewhere for sure. I don't use the place so I have no idea where it might be.

    Edited to add that there is a Contact Us link at the bottom of the main forum page that you can click on
    Thanks.

    The Contact Us message service adds to my thinking that there may be a ban even preventing contact. There are three boxes and all must be completed, the Message box will not allow me add anything.

    It could be a software issue, not sure.

    I think I will try on someone else's computer and see what happens.

    Thank you all for your comments and advice.
    If you wanted, couldn't you create another account?
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

    And my other blog is a tumblr!

    My eBooks. Because why not.

  23. #17
    Senior Member RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    154
    Thanks
    145
    Thanked 200 Times in 105 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: How do you know if you are banned from Fpn?

    Well, yes I could but I only have one email address and I don't have enough motivation to go to the faff of creating a new email account and a new Fpn identity. Nice thought though, thanks for that.

    I tried to sign in on another computer belonging to a friend and had the same message 'I did not pass the security test', whatever that may be.

    I read some of the posts and dear me, they are dull to the nth degree, tedious dreary posts that serve no purpose at all.

    But thank you for your thoughts and ideas, I suspect that I have been banned and I cannot say that I will lose sleep over that.

  24. #18
    Senior Member Chip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    884
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 611 Times in 336 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: How do you know if you are banned from Fpn?

    I think my FPN account is still active, but I haven't logged on in years.

    I got pretty upset at the auto-censor thing that would chop out combinations of letters that the cyber-grannies found objectionable. Like the first part of shitake mushrooms.

    A Brit friend called it "a terminal case of the teacakes."

  25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

    Jon Szanto (May 30th, 2022), RobJohnson (May 30th, 2022), TSherbs (May 30th, 2022)

  26. #19
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,072
    Thanks
    7,047
    Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,619 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: How do you know if you are banned from Fpn?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    A Brit friend called it "a terminal case of the teacakes."
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  27. #20
    Senior Member Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    972
    Thanks
    1,439
    Thanked 510 Times in 301 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: How do you know if you are banned from Fpn?

    Shiitake, not shitake.


    Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •