Thread: Removal of brass piece in end-cap of Sheaffer Connoisseur?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Default Removal of brass piece in end-cap of Sheaffer Connoisseur?

This is intended for Ron Zorn and/or anyone else who might be able to answer:

If you look in the back end (inside) of the barrel of a Sheaffer Connoisseur, you can see a small brass piece. I assume this is to add a bit of heft, but also can't tell if it is threaded on or what. I ask because a fellow pen person had discovered that Sheaffer piston converters are too long for this pen but a squeeze converter will fit.

My question, therefore, is can any modification be done, such as removal of anything at the end of the barrel, that would allow a bit more open length for the use of said piston converter?

TIA
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (June 4th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Re: Removal of brass piece in end-cap of Sheaffer Connoisseur?

I never tried to remove the weight. An alternative is a Sheaffer No Nonsense or Sheaffer Vintage barrel if you can stomach the mismatch. As for me, I'll just enjoy the sheer excitement of the squeeze converters.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (June 4th, 2022), eachan (June 5th, 2022), jar (June 5th, 2022), Jon Szanto (June 4th, 2022), Stands on Feet (June 4th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

If you can find one of the converters for the Intrigues it often will fit.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

Just back from Raleigh last night.... (really quiet show this year)

That brass plug is pressed in, and is pretty tough to drive out even when the back end trim and cap are removed, which is to say that I don't know of non-destructive way to get it out. It is so far down in that even trying to drill and tap to pull it out would be pretty difficult. It was added to provide some weight and balance to the pen. Sheaffer dropped it when making some of the Seas pens for Levenger, I assume because they had the transparent barrels, and knew that the squeeze converter was being, or had been, discontinued.

This is one of the pens that requires the squeeze converter. Don't throw away a squeeze converter when the sac dies. Rebuild it.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (June 7th, 2022), Jon Szanto (June 7th, 2022), Stands on Feet (June 7th, 2022)

Thanks

Thanks, Ron, as I suspected. I'll pass along the info. One day I want to give a try to rebuilding one of the squeeze converters, but so far none of my originals have failed!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

A red end one has a PVC sac. Black end converters have a latex sac. Most have reached, or are nearing, the end of their useful life simply from age.

Visit Main Street Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    A red end one has a PVC sac. Black end converters have a latex sac. Most have reached, or are nearing, the end of their useful life simply from age.
    Am I remembering correctly that the nipple end is placed in hot water to soften the rubber/plastic before popping it out to replace the sac?

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I don't. I do put the bushing in hot water after it's out to get the plastic to close down a bit so that it is a snug fit on the piercing tube again. You do have to bump out the spots where the casing was staked was staked, and then once reassembled, stake it again so that the bushing stays in the casing.

Visit Main Street Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    I don't. I do put the bushing in hot water after it's out to get the plastic to close down a bit so that it is a snug fit on the piercing tube again. You do have to bump out the spots where the casing was staked was staked, and then once reassembled, stake it again so that the bushing stays in the casing.
    Aha, glad I asked. I did remember you did something with hot water and now am reminded it was to return the 'original' shape of the fit. Thanks!

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

After watching a YouTube video by SBRE Brown I bought a crochet hook to safely pull out the plastic end piece and I usually use replacement PVC sacs whether they have a red or a black end. I've also done a couple of the slimline ones. I remember someone on here wanting a slimline replacement so I sent him my resacced slimline converter and he sent me his old one that needed a new sac.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (June 7th, 2022), Jon Szanto (June 7th, 2022)