Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 177

Thread: Applicable quote for this subforum?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    972
    Thanks
    1,439
    Thanked 510 Times in 301 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Applicable quote for this subforum?

    I saw the following quote and, while it's applicable to most people in society most of the time, thought it fit this subforum especially well.

    Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.

    John Kenneth Galbraith
    Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

  2. #2
    Senior Member Chip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    884
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 611 Times in 336 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Applicable quote for this subforum?

    “Morality is simply the attitude we adopt towards people we personally dislike.”

    ― Oscar Wilde, An Ideal Husband

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

    Lloyd (June 4th, 2022)

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    849
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 184 Times in 144 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Applicable quote for this subforum?

    "I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong"

    Russell Lynes

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bold2013 For This Useful Post:

    Lloyd (June 4th, 2022)

  6. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    849
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 184 Times in 144 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Applicable quote for this subforum?

    “One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”

  7. #5
    Senior Member Chip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    884
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 611 Times in 336 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Applicable quote for this subforum?

    I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone.

    —Oscar Wilde

  8. #6
    Senior Member Chip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    884
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 611 Times in 336 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Applicable quote for this subforum?

    Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live. It is asking other people to live as one wishes to live.

    —Oscar Wilde

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

    Lloyd (June 6th, 2022)

  10. #7
    Senior Member dneal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,879
    Thanks
    1,260
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 677 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Applicable quote for this subforum?

    I ran across this one the other day.

    Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    Y'all have lost your goddamned minds....

    It's amazing how much panic one honest man can spread among a multitude of hypocrites.
    - Thomas Sowell

  11. #8
    Senior Member Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    972
    Thanks
    1,439
    Thanked 510 Times in 301 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Applicable quote for this subforum?

    Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    I ran across this one the other day.

    Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    Y'all have lost your goddamned minds....
    I'd like to see a person with multiple personality disorder say that to himself while looking in the mirror in a comedy movie.

    Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

  12. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    3,392
    Thanks
    425
    Thanked 657 Times in 474 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Applicable quote for this subforum?

    I think most people know the right thing to do , and most do. The problem is some know the right thing to do, and for one reason or another, choose something wrong. It may be pride, petty arrogance, or affiliations, but seldom stupidity.

  13. #10
    Senior Member Chip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    884
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 611 Times in 336 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Applicable quote for this subforum?

    Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

    —Oscar Wilde

  14. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,174
    Thanks
    1,456
    Thanked 1,558 Times in 950 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Applicable quote for this subforum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

    —Oscar Wilde
    That's a great quote!

  15. #12
    Senior Member Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    972
    Thanks
    1,439
    Thanked 510 Times in 301 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Applicable quote for this subforum?

    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

    —Oscar Wilde
    That's a great quote!
    Ditto!😉

    Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

  16. #13
    Senior Member Chip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    884
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 611 Times in 336 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Applicable quote for this subforum?

    Wilde was a master of the epigram.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

    Lloyd (June 10th, 2022), TSherbs (June 11th, 2022)

  18. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    287
    Thanks
    138
    Thanked 213 Times in 113 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Applicable quote for this subforum?

    "If assholes could fly, this place would be an airport."

    -Unknown

  19. #15
    Senior Member Chip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    884
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 611 Times in 336 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Applicable quote for this subforum?

    They do fly: Business Class.

  20. #16
    Senior Member Chip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    884
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 611 Times in 336 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Applicable quote for this subforum?

    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

    —Oscar Wilde

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

    Lloyd (June 11th, 2022)

  22. #17
    Senior Member dneal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,879
    Thanks
    1,260
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 677 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Applicable quote for this subforum?

    When you can't debate ideas, debate personalities.

    It's amazing how much panic one honest man can spread among a multitude of hypocrites.
    - Thomas Sowell

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

    Lloyd (June 11th, 2022)

  24. #18
    Senior Member Chip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    884
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 611 Times in 336 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Applicable quote for this subforum?

    Some of us lose either way.

    —Oscar Wilde

  25. #19
    Senior Member ethernautrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Land of Po
    Posts
    1,064
    Thanks
    1,659
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 556 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Applicable quote for this subforum?

    One of my favorite reminders:

    Screenshot_20220612-132411_Chrome.jpg


    The Internet says Ajahn Chah said it.
    _____________
    To Miasto

  26. #20
    Senior Member ethernautrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Land of Po
    Posts
    1,064
    Thanks
    1,659
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 556 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Applicable quote for this subforum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    I ran across this one the other day.

    Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    Y'all have lost your goddamned minds....
    I'd like to see a person with multiple personality disorder say that to himself while looking in the mirror in a comedy movie.
    Actually picturing that made me laugh.

    Seems that when people are too close to the argument, responding quickly, it's hard to see where they're going off the rails. Checking in once every coupla, few weeks... just wow. And imagine how this dynamic is repeated countlessly everywhere, every moment... it's a wonder we have a civilization at all (she said hyperbolically, to make a point).
    _____________
    To Miasto

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

    dneal (June 12th, 2022), Lloyd (June 12th, 2022)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •