Thanks
    Thanked 1,851 Times in 1,193 Posts

Default Re: Gun policy analysis thread.

Oops

Thanks
    Thanked 1,338 Times in 790 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    I'll pursue the Jersey law a little bit. Here is another articles description of the package of laws that were passed:

"The new laws will mandate firearm training for people seeking gun permits, ban .50 caliber weapons, require new New Jersey residents to register their firearms, regulate the sale of handgun ammunition and create a database of sales, require firearm retailers to sell microstamping-enabled firearms, upgrade certain gun manufacturing crimes to second-degree, and allow the state Attorney General to sue gun manufacturers."

Still looking, tho ....
    You might start with the lawsuit, which references the NJ law being challenged and what those challenges are.

It's amazing how much panic one honest man can spread among a multitude of hypocrites.
    - Thomas Sowell

Thanks

It turns out that there are several new laws, and I am not energized enough to pursue and read/quote them all. But I finally found this from the NJ legislative website on one of the directives: https://pub.njleg.gov/Bills/2022/A2000/1765_I1.HTM

Thanks

The directive ends with this, which I applaud. It is bold, sweeping, and on the edge of constitutionally acceptable (if not over). Good for them. I agree with pushing the envelope in this direction whenever possible. I am neither neutral nor traditional on this topic (which I have stated several times already).

The bill provides that a gun industry memberís conduct is to be deemed a proximate cause of the nuisance if, notwithstanding any intervening actions including, but not limited to, criminal actions by third parties, the endangerment was a reasonably foreseeable effect of such conduct.

The bill allows the Attorney General to commence an action at any time seeking an injunction prohibiting any gun industry member from engaging in a public nuisance, or continuing those practices or engaging therein or doing any acts in furtherance thereof, or an order providing for abatement of the nuisance, regardless of the date on which the cause of action accrued.

The provisions of the bill apply to all actions instituted on or after the date of the billís enactment and all proceedings taken subsequent to the date of billís enactment. Judgments entered or awards made pursuant to law from which no appeal is pending on the date of the billís enactment would not be affected by the billís provisions.

With respect to gun violence, the unavailability of a robust public nuisance statute and limitations imposed by federal law have limited the Stateís ability to seek legal redress in situations where firearms manufacturers, retail dealers and other gun industry members may have knowingly or recklessly taken actions that have endangered the safety and health of New Jersey residents through the sale, manufacture, distribution, and marketing of lethal, but nonetheless legal, firearms. This bill would give the Attorney General greater authority to address injuries to public health and safety caused by the firearm industry.

Thanks

Hereís the .pdf of the approved legislation, but you should start with the suit to see what the legal objection to the law is.

It's amazing how much panic one honest man can spread among a multitude of hypocrites.
    - Thomas Sowell

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    ... but you should start with the suit to see what the legal objection to the law is.
    Why?

Thanks

... but you should start with the suit to see what the legal objection to the law is.
    Why?
    Relevance and efficiency, for a start. It would also have led you straight to NJ A1765, for example.

- Thomas Sowell

Thanks

Why?
    Relevance and efficiency, for a start. It would also have led you straight to NJ A1765, for example.
    Not "relevant" for me because I wanted to know what the law was, not what the objection was. I am not very interested in the objection, and I wish more states would do what New Jersey has done. My own state is far from it, but I can't get everything I want. Maine is still a great state, but the hunters prowling the woods right now (virtually everywhere) are a "nuisance" for sure. Walking my dog in the woods/meadow fringes right now at either sunrise or sunset carries enhanced risk (or at least the perception of risk). We are even careful about school cross-country running trails after Nov 1. Such is Maine life in November.

Thanks

How was the law even brought to your attention?

- Thomas Sowell

Thanks

How was the law even brought to your attention?
    ?? I think that it was your post (although I may have known about it before, I can't recall). Why?