Thread: Question about changing inks in a rollerball

Thanks

Default Question about changing inks in a rollerball

I want to change the ink that I use in a rollerball. One option is to plug in a cartridge or converter containing the new ink and then hope for the best. But is there a better way?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,443 Times in 4,000 Posts

Default Re: Question about changing inks in a rollerball

Why not use a rollerball refill that's a different colour?
    There is no option to use a fountain pen converter or cartridge containing fountain pen ink in a rollerball pen because there is no internal feed system inside a rollerball to accommodate it and if you just stick one in somewhere instead of a rollerball refill and hope for the best all of the ink will just flow out of the point end of the barrel into it's cap and make a terrible mess.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (June 15th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Why not use a rollerball refill that's a different colour?
    There is no option to use a fountain pen converter or cartridge containing fountain pen ink in a rollerball pen because there is no internal feed system inside a rollerball to accommodate it and if you just stick one in somewhere instead of a rollerball refill and hope for the best all of the ink will just flow out of the point end of the barrel into it's cap and make a terrible mess.
    There are a very few rollerballs that accept fountain pen cartridges and converters. I have found one that I like, and I carry it in situations where damage to a fountain pen is more likely than usual.

JetPens no longer carries the pen, but they still have a page with a good description of it:https://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-V5-Hi-.../13406#index=2

Under the Q&A tab on that page, I find the following:

Q: Can I fill this pen with bottled ink using a converter?
    The Pilot Hi-Tecpoint cartridge-filled rollerball pens can be used with the Pilot CON-20, CON-40, and CON-50 fountain pen converters, but we recommend sticking with the refill cartridges listed under Recommended Refills/Parts. Fountain pen inks may not flow as well through the pen as the recommended rollerball ink cartridges, and cleaning out the ink that comes installed in the pen can be difficult and time-consuming.

I plan to use a lubricated ink to extend the lifetime of the roller (the wear of which is what's most likely to limit the pen's lifetime). But I'm left wondering how to clear remaining original ink out through the ball when I install my new refill or cartridge. For example, I could try flushing with water, using a piston converter filled with water and forcing the piston down. But the "forcing" concerns me.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,443 Times in 4,000 Posts

When you posted your original post you said: "I want to change the ink that I use in a rollerball. One option is to plug in a cartridge or converter containing the new ink and then hope for the best. But is there a better way?"

Sadly that was the question I responded to. At that time there was no mention of the rollerball being one that could accept fountain pen cartridges and converters. However, it is your pen and you can try filling it with whatever you want. This is Fountain Pen Geeks. On here we tend to use fountain pens and fill them with fountain pen ink. Rollerballs are different.
    Last edited by Chrissy; June 14th, 2022 at 10:30 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

There are videos on youtube on how to refill Parker Quink rollerball cartridges, they unplug the cap on the top and use a syringe. I have not done it my self, but the same Quink ink is availble in jars, and I guess Diamine and Pelikan inks should be close enough to work in the cartridges. These are the same as for fountain pens. You could always try it since your mind went this way in the first place. It is easier to stick to the same color. I think there is a felt in the cartridge holding the ink, and I doubt there is any point in flushing it clean or replacing it. How many times could you refill a cartridge before problems appear? There might be a way to flush the ball part? The special inks for gel rollers, and the various disposable technical pens might be availble too. You can't mix and match too much with these, it has to be a very specific ink for each type of pen. Mixing inks in general can also have adverse effects. If a pen is made for water proof ink, it might not handle other types.

Rollerballs are often very smooth and give a nice wet, very even ink line on the paper. Another option for refillable pens are the various technical pens, most I have come across have been vintage, but they might still be in production. They give a similar wet and very even line. Either new or vintage is a good option, all the large brands used to have their version of them, Rotring, Staedtler and Pelikan are readily avaible if you search for them. They are made to be used for many years, cleaned, refilled, shifiting colors,...
    Last edited by arrow; June 14th, 2022 at 04:19 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to arrow For This Useful Post:

Niner (June 14th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    When you posted your original post you said: "I want to change the ink that I use in a rollerball. One option is to plug in a cartridge or converter containing the new ink and then hope for the best. But is there a better way?"

Sadly that was the question I responded to. At that time there was no mention of the rollerball being one that could accept fountain pen cartridges and converters. However, it is your pen and you can try filling it with whatever you want. This is Fountain Pen Geeks. On here we tend to use fountain pens and fill them with fountain pen ink. Rollerballs are different.
    Sadly, I have egg on my face.

I'm thinking of writing 100 times "I will not post ambiguous questions about rollerballs." But I won't do it. Unless maybe I do it with a fountain pen.

Thanks

Generally ballpoint pens have a thick sticky ink, can write on any paper, waterproof, ... The term rollerball is used for pens with as you well know wetter ink, a much more fluent liquid. Then there is the gelrollers, which are similar, often very smooth writing. I think they are much the same, just different ink.

If you are willing to compare the qualities of the rollerball to a fountain pen, I think they can be met in a fountain pen. Some Parkers and Pelikans have very smooth, firm nibs and give a very even consistent line on paper. Probably other brands too, but I have first hand experience with these. Like rollerballs (Parker quink roller ball cartridges, Schmidt, Pilot G-rollers,...) they can have much the same ink flow too. That said, they are generally very forgiving on any paper. The pens or rather nibs that behave like this have a ballpoint tip, others have just very smoothly shaped and polished tip. Both steel or iridium tipped gold nibs can meet these requirements.
    Last edited by arrow; June 15th, 2022 at 01:30 AM.