Thread: Onionskin Paper

Thanks

Default Onionskin Paper

Someone asked about onionskin in another thread. I've got some. You can get it brand new at thepapermillstore.com
    http://www.thepapermillstore.com/paper/onion-skin-paper
    I have some and tried it with some of my pens and inks. I haven't seen any feathering or bleedthrough. (though I tend to use fine point nibs). However, show-through is basically like looking through a window since it's so thin. You won't be using both sides of a sheet of onionskin. But for writing letters and such, I think it would work well with fountain pens and look quite striking.

Here you can see the front. Text is pretty crisp.
    photo 1.JPG

Here's the back, as you can see it's very easy to see through and you won't be able to write on the opposite side and expect to make sense of what you'd written.
    photo 2.JPG

Finally, taking it off the backing sheet shows that it's only the transparency that's a problem. Nothing's really bled through.
    photo 3.JPG

The new stuff is all smooth finish. I also have some vintage cockle-finish onionskin and it doesn't have any real problems either. But the surface doesn't seem as suited as the smooth finish. I don't know where one would find cockle-finish onionskin if you wanted it (other than old stock vintage), and I've looked. I tend to prefer the cockle finish for typewriters. But the smooth finish definitely seems better for fountain pens.
    photo 4.JPG

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nomadhacker For This Useful Post:

caribbean_skye (April 26th, 2013), KKay (October 2nd, 2023), recluse (April 26th, 2013), Yazeh (October 2nd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Onionskin Paper

That has been my experience with the paper I purchased at JBB's Etsy shop. There was a lot of ink siting on the page at one point and I was amazed it did not soak through. The see thru is a bit much but very impressive bleed resistance.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

I can't say I've (knowingly anyway) used cockle finish onionskin but this seems fairly par for the course in my experience.

Thanks

Consider the aspect ratios of different devices when designing layouts. Some devices have taller screens (e.g., iPhones) while others are wider (e.g., tablets). Ensure that your app adapts to both orientations gracefully, providing an optimal experience. Digital Licence in Queensland

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 588 Posts

I've used new "onionskin," which has 0% cotton content, and don't like it. Might as well write on tracing paper. I enjoy the "vintage" cockle-finish onionskin a lot. I remember when every stationary store, drugstore, office supply store, general store and 5 & 10 carried it. Now it's practically unobtainium. I buy some now and then on eBay when it's being offered for a reasonable price, but a lot of sellers seem to think they're selling 24K gold leaf.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (October 4th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    ...I enjoy the "vintage" cockle-finish onionskin a lot. I remember when every stationary store, drugstore, office supply store, general store and 5 & 10 carried it. Now it's practically unobtainium....
    Our own jbb sells it through etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/JBBPensPaper

Thanks

5 listings for onion skin, including green. [no affiliation]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 588 Posts

Yes indeed. I have bought onionskin paper from her, and also a very nice vintage dip pen nib holder that had been made in Chezchoslovakia.

On eBay I once scored quite a goodly amount of onionskin with watermarks of the old Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. When I was quite young I used to watch trains, and felt the call of far away places. I particularly enjoyed looking at the big logos painted on the side of boxcars, and my two favorites were the Santa Fe logo and the Great Northern goat.

Last edited by calamus; October 3rd, 2023 at 10:33 PM.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)