Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I bought a used Meisterstück No 149 and need your help!!

Thanks

Default I bought a used Meisterstück No 149 and need your help!!

Hello! I am brand new to Fountain Pens. Brand new. As in, I have been researching for a few weeks and bought my first today. Since we couldn’t find anything nice locally, I’ll be placing an order, but we bought some Pilot Varsity pens just to write with to see if my daughters (7,14) and I would appreciate the fountain pens in the way I feel we would. Well, while shopping at goodwill today for a glass bowl to make a terrarium in, I checked the case at the front of the store. I found a Mont Blanc Meisterstück no 149 in the presentation box with original warranty card and guarantee booklet. dates printed in the paperwork say 10/88 (I’d assume this is a date and not a code to something else)

After a bit of research I see that the rod Is broken. I’ve read this is a challenge to repair, and I’ve read I should send it in for around $100 or so. Of course these are all old forum posts I’ve found, so I’ve no clue what the repair would actually cost.

My question is this, is this pen worth repairing and at what price point is it no longer a good deal. I paid $9.99 for the pen. I know it’s a Grail Pen to some so when I saw it I knew I had to own it. At $10 it’s worth owning just to own. But, I’d love to get this pen back to its former glory. And the marks on it that show it’s been used, dropped, and loved for years, really add character that I love. Is it worth anything in this condition? I have no clue. But I sure like it so far. Even in its current state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Zero138; June 19th, 2022 at 09:41 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: I bought a used Meisterstück No 149 and need your help!!

Buy it but understand that Montblanc is not the best choice for repairs and it will likely cost $100.00 or so to get it fixed by someone that actually knows what it needs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Buy it but understand that Montblanc is not the best choice for repairs and it will likely cost $100.00 or so to get it fixed by someone that actually knows what it needs.
    I bought it. It was $10. I couldn’t pass it up, even if I only ever look at it. Would you have any recommendations for a repair person you’d trust other than montblanc?

Thanks

Ron Zorn is a member here and either ask him to service it or to suggest who should do it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

welch (June 25th, 2022)

Thanks

Ron Zorn is a member here and either ask him to service it or to suggest who should do it.
    Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Sumgai find. Many known pen repairers don't have the necessary spare parts to service Montblancs and that's why they often need to be returned to Montblanc to be serviced. Regardless of what Montblanc charge to make this pen like new it will always have cost a bargain total price.

It looks like that nib has been removed and replaced because it's further out than it should be. My guess is that Montblanc might be the eventual repairer for this pen.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Zero138 (June 20th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Repair choices depend upon your location.

Thanks

I'm curious, why do you think MB would not be the best choice for repair?

Thanks

I would never let anyone other than Montblanc service/repair one of my Montblanc pens but I'm aware it's currently not so straightforward for those in the US.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Mr Richardson has offered a good option in suggesting Ron Zorn. His reputation precedes him in the repair world.

As for the repair costing $100, well that is still a bargain price for an MB149 (if it's a real one). If the OP doesn't want to get it repaired, I'll give you the $10 plus postage and I'll get it repaired for myself!

Thanks

Mainly because Montblanc no longer does the repairs. But also because even when they did do repairs their preferred solution was replace rather than repair.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Really, Mr Richardson? Who does the repairs for MB now if you send one back for it? I'm guessing whoever it is uses approved parts though.

Thanks

I imagine that depends on the location, what happens in the U*S may be different than other markets.

And yes, we can all guess but it can only be a WAG.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Mr Richardson has offered a good option in suggesting Ron Zorn. His reputation precedes him in the repair world.

As for the repair costing $100, well that is still a bargain price for an MB149 (if it's a real one). If the OP doesn't want to get it repaired, I'll give you the $10 plus postage and I'll get it repaired for myself!
    Haha, yes I think I’ll have it repaired. Unless the 1988 models are insanely valuable for whatever reason, I think I’m ok with having it repair by replacement with new parts. Since I’ve no emotional connection to the pen, I don’t think it will devalue it in my eyes to be made like new. This pen was $10, if someone offered you a like new 149 for $110 I assume you’d be all over it, right?!!

As for authenticity, I’m no expert. But I’d imagine, with where it was found, and what is with it, that it’s a real one. Since a thrift store has no need to try and sell a fake, and it has paperwork with it that all looks to be correct (again no expert, just some quick searches). So my hopes is that it’s real.

If someone can explain to my why having parts replaced is a bad idea over repair, please let me know.

I understand if this were a super old model then you’d want to retain its original state, or if this were sentimental to me because of its previous owner. However, in my current position, wouldn’t replacement be a fantastic option?

Thank you all so much again

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zero138 View Post

Haha, yes I think I’ll have it repaired. Unless the 1988 models are insanely valuable for whatever reason, I think I’m ok with having it repair by replacement with new parts. Since I’ve no emotional connection to the pen, I don’t think it will devalue it in my eyes to be made like new. This pen was $10, if someone offered you a like new 149 for $110 I assume you’d be all over it, right?!!

As for authenticity, I’m no expert. But I’d imagine, with where it was found, and what is with it, that it’s a real one. Since a thrift store has no need to try and sell a fake, and it has paperwork with it that all looks to be correct (again no expert, just some quick searches). So my hopes is that it’s real.

If someone can explain to my why having parts replaced is a bad idea over repair, please let me know.

I understand if this were a super old model then you’d want to retain its original state, or if this were sentimental to me because of its previous owner. However, in my current position, wouldn’t replacement be a fantastic option?

Some users with older pens like to keep an original old feed that isn't modern plastic. Your pen has a modern plastic feed so no worries. If you happen to send it to Montblanc they would charge you a level one service and send you back a pen that looks like new.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post

Some users with older pens like to keep an original old feed that isn't modern plastic. Your pen has a modern plastic feed so no worries. If you happen to send it to Montblanc they would charge you a level one service and send you back a pen that looks like new.
    I feel like this is my best chance at owning a “new” 149 for $100. So I should probably send it in and start fresh with a like new pen.

I am so excited!!!

When I started this research into fountain pens, this was a pen I saw a few times and it quickly was ruled out as something I’d never own. Finding it used in a thrift store and having it be my first purchase… it’s like I was supposed to find this hobby

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Zero138 For This Useful Post:

Prettypenguin (June 20th, 2022)

Thanks

Default I bought a used Meisterstück No 149 and need your help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post

So I did a quick search, and saw this pen has the split feed which would indicate the ebonite. Correct?

I requested that it be left alone on the repair form. So we will see. If it needs replaced that’s ok too. I’ve got nothing in this pen except $10. It’s essentially a free pen at this point.

Last edited by Zero138; June 20th, 2022 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks

An 88 pen would originally have had a split ebonite feed. I'd use an aftermarket repair.

From the photos it will likely need a piston helix. MB, to my knowledge, doesn't do component-level replacement like this but rather would just replace the whole piston assembly. The piston they would have available to my knowledge won't fit that age barrel, which is no longer made, and a split ebonite feed won't fit a current design barrel. Given parts incompatibilities over the years, that leads to the repair "cascade" that often ends at a totally new pen fitted with your original nib and clip.

There are very qualified independents out there who can replace the helix and service the rest of the pen. That's one of the trickier repairs as there's a tiny circlip that needs to be removed and then reinstalled. Member foutainbel, who is a very accomplished repairman, has shown sketches of a tool used to remove and reinstall these.

The cost is likely to be about the same as sending it to MB. BTW, to my knowledge, even though the externals of the current piston are all brass, I think the helix is still plastic.

One can certainly decide what one wants with their own pens, but I like to keep the character of my older MBs intact, especially when they have one piece barrels(which this pen does not have). Heck, right now, Ron Zorn has my celluloid 146 that needs some pretty major repair, and I can't imagine letting Montblanc, much less their subcontracted service in the US, anywhere NEAR that pen. The modern 146 has even less in common with its 50s version than the 149 has with its 50s version.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunnspecial For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (June 21st, 2022), pajaro (June 22nd, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

...I requested that it be left alone on the repair form. So we will see....
    Experience has shown this can lead to disappointment. If you want to preserve a Montblanc's originality, a Montblanc factory-authorized repair in North America is risky, depending on the age of the pen. If this 149 was my pen for personal use or resale, I would not send it to Montblanc or My Jewelry Repair. Had the pen been made in the 21st century, I'd consider them (though there's been issues with My Jewelry Repair).

24. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (November 19th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,777 Times in 1,422 Posts

You just could buy a replacement part on ebay for example:

https://www.ebay.ch/itm/223768547393...cAAOSwLnlafjbo

These pens are easy to disassemble and to maintain.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

Seattleite (June 22nd, 2022)