Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I bought a used Meisterstück No 149 and need your help!!

Thanks

Default Re: I bought a used Meisterstück No 149 and need your help!!

It’s been decided. After a conversation with Ron, I’m sending it to montblanc and going forward with their repair no matter how much they replace. I think since it’s not a sentimental pen, and it’s not a particularly rare example, having things replaced isn’t a bad deal. I’ll be in this (according to their website and a bit of reading online) around another $100. Even at double that, I still feel like that’s a killer deal for a renewed 149 especially since I’ll have the story of finding it second hand for $10. How could I not get this pen up and running again. I’m beyond excited to get it back. I shipped it off earlier today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Zero138 For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (November 14th, 2022)

Thanks

Congratulations on your great find. From the parts shown, your pen was made between 1985-1990. It's a beautiful fountain pen and certainly worth investing in a proper repair. Good luck with your decision.
    Last edited by Barry Gabay; June 21st, 2022 at 06:48 AM. Reason: additional information

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero138 View Post
    ...I requested that it be left alone on the repair form. So we will see....
    Experience has shown this can lead to disappointment. If you want to preserve a Montblanc's originality, a Montblanc factory-authorized repair in North America is risky, depending on the age of the pen. If this 149 was my pen for personal use or resale, I would not send it to Montblanc or My Jewelry Repair. Had the pen been made in the 21st century, I'd consider them (though there's been issues with My Jewelry Repair).

Not to go off topic but, what types of issues with My Jewelry Repair? They have a 146 Solitaire of mine on their bench as we speak. It got me alarmed

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

There have been a couple of fairly recent long threads about My Jewellery Repair. You will easily find them if you search in the search box
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

alperozt (June 22nd, 2022)

Thanks

My confidence in MJR is low enough and my frustration high enough that I'm planning on saying "Forget the warranty" on my new finnicky 146 Calligraphy and hope that Richard Binder(or if not him someone else) can sort out the problems with it at the show this weekend...

Even on a warranty repair(and in my case even on a pen that wasn't right from the factory), you are on the hook to pay round trip shipping. You can't just box the pen up and send it however you want, either-you have to generate and pay for a shipping label through their website, and on a completed repair you have to pay for the return shipping to "release" the item. Each shipment is $25-30, so a warranty trip is $50-60.

I have minimal confidence in their ability to even see the problem with my 146C, especially given that it will write fine for 2-3 lines, and if they see it my confidence in their ability to fix it is even lower given how new these are and how small of a fraction of overall MB production they represent(and the nibs are unlike any other current/recent production MB nibs aside obviously from the 149 Calligraphy). Consequently, $50 or $100 or however much at a pen show to someone who actually KNOWS nibs, will understand the problem, and will make sure it's fixed to my satisfaction is well worth blowing the warranty. The rest of the pen is pretty standard bulletproof modern 146.

I'd have less reservation about having them handle the OP's repair, though, as it's not anything especially out of the ordinary. Just don't be surprised if it takes 2-3 months.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bunnspecial View Post
    My confidence in MJR is low enough and my frustration high enough that I'm planning on saying "Forget the warranty" on my new finnicky 146 Calligraphy and hope that Richard Binder(or if not him someone else) can sort out the problems with it at the show this weekend...

Even on a warranty repair(and in my case even on a pen that wasn't right from the factory), you are on the hook to pay round trip shipping. You can't just box the pen up and send it however you want, either-you have to generate and pay for a shipping label through their website, and on a completed repair you have to pay for the return shipping to "release" the item. Each shipment is $25-30, so a warranty trip is $50-60.

I have minimal confidence in their ability to even see the problem with my 146C, especially given that it will write fine for 2-3 lines, and if they see it my confidence in their ability to fix it is even lower given how new these are and how small of a fraction of overall MB production they represent(and the nibs are unlike any other current/recent production MB nibs aside obviously from the 149 Calligraphy). Consequently, $50 or $100 or however much at a pen show to someone who actually KNOWS nibs, will understand the problem, and will make sure it's fixed to my satisfaction is well worth blowing the warranty. The rest of the pen is pretty standard bulletproof modern 146.

I'd have less reservation about having them handle the OP's repair, though, as it's not anything especially out of the ordinary. Just don't be surprised if it takes 2-3 months.
    I think Richard Binder closed his repair service several years ago. My recollection is that he is recommending Indy Pen Dance.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Ask Joel Hamilton to have a look.
    Last edited by FredRydr; June 22nd, 2022 at 12:22 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    There have been a couple of fairly recent long threads about My Jewellery Repair. You will easily find them if you search in the search box
    Apologies. Aaargh!! I didn't see the "auto-corrected" British spelling for Jewelry.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alperozt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnspecial View Post

I think Richard Binder closed his repair service several years ago. My recollection is that he is recommending Indy Pen Dance.
    He still does pen shows, including the St. Louis show that is coming up this weekend.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bunnspecial For This Useful Post:

alperozt (June 22nd, 2022)

Thanks

Send it to Ron Z. or through a Mont Blanc "boutique". A new 149 is around $1200, so I would eagerly pay $100 for repairs.

Thanks

I sent it in, I’ve paid for the repair, and shipping. Which is wildly overpriced and almost price gouging. But, all in including sales price of the pen, I’ll be $160 for what should be a fully refurbished 149

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zero138 For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (June 26th, 2022), jar (June 26th, 2022), TSherbs (November 14th, 2022)

Thanks

Update, it’s being mailed back as we speak! Just got the notification earlier today. I expect it by early next week! *A lot faster than I was expecting based on other posts about their repair service.

now, we will see what I get back in the mail soon!!!*

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Great. Keep us posted.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Great. Keep us posted.
    I’ll have an update today. Shipping was updated to show delivery today!

Thanks

Ok, well, it arrived today. Cap was not replaced so all the original scars from its first life still live on. However, it’s a terrible writer. Scratchy, doesn’t always have ink, I had to turn the piston once to get ink to flow again. It’s consistently doesn’t write on the first stroke:… really bummed. But, it’s still a pretty pen :/

Thanks

Ok, well, it arrived today. Cap was not replaced so all the original scars from its first life still live on. However, it’s a terrible writer. Scratchy, doesn’t always have ink, I had to turn the piston once to get ink to flow again. It’s consistently doesn’t write on the first stroke:… really bummed. But, it’s still a pretty pen :/

I forgot: has it had a really good really long soak yet?
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Okay. Those are all things that should have been checked and fixed but the good news is that all of those things are most likely minor problems for any competent person like Ron.

I don't know where you are located but it's very likely that there is someone near by that can help or that we can suggest. Again, contact Ron and also Danny Fudge at The Write Pen. (scroll down to Nib Services at the bottom of the page)

22. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (July 16th, 2022)

Thanks

@Jar You have a nice website. and a good collection of quality pens for sale !!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,418 Posts

How is this pen working for you now?