Thread: META Mega-Invasive!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 637 Posts

Default META Mega-Invasive!

Facebook Collecting Medical Info From Hospital Websites

A scary news story from MEDSCAPE (A medical resource geared towards medical professionals).http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/62b11a0083b87/Medscape.PDF

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Default Re: META Mega-Invasive!

I read the article, and I guess at this point I'm simply not surprised nor even outraged.

Between the NSA hoovering up all your digital activity in case they need it some day, and "big tech" doing the same in order to sell it for targeted advertisements... the only way to prevent this is to go completely analog - which is impractical to impossible (the latter becoming more the case with banking alone).
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    I read the article, and I guess at this point I'm simply not surprised nor even outraged.

Between the NSA hoovering up all your digital activity in case they need it some day, and "big tech" doing the same in order to sell it for targeted advertisements... the only way to prevent this is to go completely analog - which is impractical to impossible (the latter becoming more the case with banking alone).
    I know the NSA and likely other spook groups (including our overseas friends and enemies) can get this, I'm quite upset about FB accessing and selling my very personal information. This seems a gross violation of the HIPAA privacy rules.

M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.

Thanks

With the way things are anymore, it'll be the medical community responsible for not securing the data instead of FB "hacking" it.

I should be outraged, but at this point it's little more than an eye-roll and "I'm not surprised".

Thanks

You're softening in retirement. 😉

Thanks

Russell Brand talks about this very thing, if you like a little humor with your news. 11 minutes.

You can also read the articles he's discussing, for those who don't like YouTube

Bloomberg:Meta Sued Over Claims Patient Data Secretly Sent to Facebook

Meta Platforms Inc. was sued over claims that private medical data is being shared secretly with Facebook when patients access web portals for some health-care providers.

Facebook’s Pixel tracking tool redirects patient communications and other supposedly “secure” information without authorization and in violation of federal and state laws, according to the lawsuit filed Friday in San Francisco federal court as a proposed class action on behalf of millions of patients.

The world’s largest social network has been sued and investigated by regulators over privacy issues frequently over the last decade, most often over allegations that the company illegally collects information on users that it uses for targeted advertising. The Pixel case is different because it alleges Facebook grabbed confidential data while acting as a service provider on a hospital web portal.

The plaintiff, who wasn’t identified, described himself in the complaint as a patient who has used a Baltimore health system’s portal to review his lab results, make appointments, and communicate with his providers.

He seeks compensatory and punitive damages for breach of contract, violation of the federal Electronic Communications Privacy Act and a constitutional claim for invasion of privacy, among other allegations.

On Thursday, The Markup, a non-profit news organization, published an investigation that found that 33 of Newsweek’s top 100 hospitals use Pixel on their appointment scheduling pages, which the report alleged may violate federal health information privacy laws. Several of the identified hospitals have since removed Pixel, according to the report.

The lawsuit alleges the scope of the problem is much more widespread. It cites at least 664 hospital systems or medical providers whose websites have received patient data via the Pixel.

Meta didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

The company’s business help center page says: “If Meta’s signals filtering mechanism detects Business Tools data that it categorizes as potentially sensitive health-related data, the filtering mechanism is designed to prevent that data from being ingested into our ads ranking and optimization systems.”

The case is John Doe v. Meta Platforms, 3:22-cv-3580, US District Court, Northern District of California (San Francisco).
    Reclaim the Net: Covid surveillance tech remains open to exploitation

Governments and private companies can still abuse all of the data they collected in the name of Covid.

During the pandemic, governments all over the world rolled out data tracking technologies, especially contact-tracing apps.

According to technology policy experts, these technologies opened opportunities for corporations and governments to harvest data without people’s consent.

In early June, it was revealed that the government of the Australian state of Victoria used a data agency to track the everyday activities of Victorians, beyond what was required for Covid.

According to The Herald Sun, Insights Victoria, the data agency the government used, collected sensitive, public, and “commercial-in-confidence” data in an effort to be the “single truth source” for the government. Victoria Premier Dan Andrews’ staff, the police chief commissioner, the emergency management commissioner, and the chief health officer had full access to the data.

The questionable data collection was revealed following calls to ditch the Information Sharing Bill 2021, which would have compromised patients’ privacy through the creation of a system “where a person’s most private medical information can be shared on an electronic database without their consent.”

And in May, Human Rights Watch said that 89% of technologies used for remote learning harvested the learning, location, and personal data of students. In Australia, most of these apps, including Microsoft Teams, Zoom, and Minecraft Education remained in use even after Covid measures were lifted, Epoch reported.

The Director of Tech Policy at Reset Australia, Dhakshayini Sooriyakumaran, said that, during the pandemic, multiple data extraction technologies were launched under the guise of “emergency measures.” She added that these technologies do not come with sufficient data protection measures or well-defined purpose limitations. Therefore, they can be abused.

“There’s no kind of public engagement about what the citizen feels comfortable with in terms of how the government is using that data,” she told The Epoch Times.

“And because of the power differential between institutions and individual citizens, data is used and abused. And we see really dire consequences as a result.”

“We are living in an economy where data is one of the most valuable resources any institutional entity can actually capture,” she added.

“Government, like corporations, has been trying to fly under the radar and extract as much data as possible.

“But I think more and more, particularly with the pandemic, people are starting to understand, oh, governments and corporations are actually quite intertwined when it comes to the value chain of data extraction.”
    Reuters: Chinese depositors left in dark as three local banks freeze deposits

Three banks in China's central Henan province have frozen at least $178 million of deposits, offering scant information on why or for how long, leaving firms unable to pay workers and individuals locked out of savings, depositors told Reuters.

Yu Zhou Xin Min Sheng Village Bank, Shangcai Huimin Country Bank and Zhecheng Huanghuai Community Bank froze all deposits on April 18, with all three telling customers they were upgrading internal systems. The banks have not issued any communication on the matter since, depositors said.

None of the three banks responded to Reuters' emails or phone calls seeking comment.

While nominally small, China's numerous local banks have outsized significance because they lend to small and mid-sized firms so their activity can be an indicator of the health of the economy, the world's second-biggest after the United States.

Bank earnings and asset quality are widely expected to deteriorate due to reduced business activity brought about by strict COVID-19 containment measures, raising the prospect of economic contraction in the second quarter of the year.

Depositors of the three banks told Reuters they had been communicating with each other via messaging app WeChat about how to retrieve funds. Some posted screenshots of frozen accounts and shared conversations with bank staff.

Some posted videos of protests outside bank branches, while others said they had travelled to the banks' headquarters in search of an explanation only to be turned away by police.

The China Banking and Insurance Regulatory Commision, which was cited in media reports on May 1 as saying it was looking into the matter, and the People's Bank of China, the central bank, did not respond to faxed requests for comment.

ANGER

Depositors from the southern Zhejiang province communicating over WeChat compiled a spreadsheet seen by Reuters in which they self-reported 1.2 billion yuan ($177.55 million) in frozen funds across the three banks.

As the banks have customers across China, magazine Caixin on April 30 reported the frozen amount could total $1.5 billion.

Jerry Chang, owner of a factory in Hubei province, cannot access his over 6 million yuan deposited at Yu Zhou Xin Min Sheng Village Bank.

"Not being able to withdraw money has a huge impact on the operation of our factory, including procurement and workers' wages," said Chang, who used the bank because of its marginally higher interest rate of 1.85%.

Tony Qian, an investment consultant from Zhejiang province, cannot access the 20 million yuan he put in Yu Zhou Xin Min Sheng Village Bank that he had been saving to buy property.

"The thing I'm most angry about is ... no one has explained anything to us," said Qian.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 632 Posts

On a different Meta-related topic, the Suckerbug leviathan just announced that those creepy post-Pixar avatars can now be dressed in designer clothes.

Balenciaga, Prada, and Thom Browne are pitching in. Probably not cheap. Now just who does the wee fellow look like?