Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer Drinks?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 632 Posts

Default Summer Drinks?

Whether alcoholic or non-, what are your favourite summer drinks?

Gin and tonic, of course.

On hot days and sailing trips, I enjoy a shandy: 1/2 beer or ale and 1/2 lemonade or other fruit juice. I like it with amber ale and limeade or grapefruit juice.

Just bought my first bottle of Pernod for the season. It's anise-flavoured liqueur that started out as absinthe, with botanicals such as oil of wormwood that were said to induce hallucinations (perhaps the source of the Symboliste movement). It was reputed to drive habitual users insane, and was banned for many years. But now it's available once again. I get the plain sort, which is called pastís.

I like it with ice, half-and half with water, as an aperitif.
    Last edited by Chip; June 21st, 2022 at 09:54 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

Carpio (August 19th, 2023), Chrissy (June 22nd, 2022), manoeuver (June 22nd, 2022), Yazeh (June 22nd, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Re: Summer Drinks?

Hard to beat a glass of cool water to be honest.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Carpio (August 19th, 2023), Seattleite (June 22nd, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Pimms No.1 is what we drink outside in the sun at lunchtime. We dilute it with ginger ale because we prefer that to the sweeter version made with lemonade.
    Oddly low cal ginger ale seems to have become much harder to get very recently.
    Last edited by Chrissy; June 21st, 2022 at 11:53 PM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Lemon Sippers

Ingredients

Ice
    2 to 3 oz. chilled prosecco
    3 lemon wheels
    1 ˝ oz. limoncello
    10 mint leaves

In a cocktail shaker, muddle the lemon wheels with the mint leaves. Add ice and the limoncello and shake well. Strain into an ice-filled highball glass and top with the prosecco, garnish with lemon and mint as you choose.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (June 22nd, 2022), manoeuver (June 22nd, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

@Jon Thanks for the recipe. I had to check out exactly what a lemon wheel was but a lemon sipper sounds like something I will try. For Brits use a reasonably thick lemon slice.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (June 22nd, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

A Poison Ivy!

the only place I can find the video I made about it is on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/tim.hofmann...38867909554873

Lime wedge and a slit chili pepper in a longneck High Life (or other neutral-tasting lager)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (June 22nd, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

I've been drinking less alcohol lately: just an Arnold Palmer for me, thanks (homemade, I mean). I can't even have a second beer, or I wake up the next day feeling hungover.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Whether alcoholic or non-, what are your favourite summer drinks?

Gin and tonic, of course.

On hot days and sailing trips, I enjoy a shandy: 1/2 beer or ale and 1/2 lemonade or other fruit juice. I like it with amber ale and limeade or grapefruit juice.

Just bought my first bottle of Pernod for the season. It's anise-flavoured liqueur that started out as absinthe, with botanicals such as oil of wormwood that were said to induce hallucinations (perhaps the source of the Symboliste movement). It was reputed to drive habitual users insane, and was banned for many years. But now it's available once again. I get the plain sort, which is called pastís.

I like it with ice, half-and half with water, as an aperitif.
    Has to be lemonade. If I want booze, I drink booze. 😝
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

I start the day with a big Yeti cup, full of ice, with 1/3 Simply LemonadeTM and 2/3 water. Cuts down on the sugar and adds a hint of lemon flavor.

As the day goes on, the cup gets refilled with water straight from the well. 50-ish degrees and filtered through 60' of limestone.

Although we have a softener and reverse osmosis unit to take the lime and iron out of the water, for the sake of plumbing and appliances; not much tastes better than water straight from the aquifer.

IMG_1594.jpeg
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (June 22nd, 2022), Empty_of_Clouds (June 22nd, 2022), Jon Szanto (June 22nd, 2022), manoeuver (June 23rd, 2022), Yazeh (June 22nd, 2022)

Thanks

We have our own well: excellent water. But when I sit down to read in late afternoon, I like to sip something different.

Quite a few friends take scotch or Irish whiskey, which I like in winter. Or a martini.

The Police Chief Bruno mystery series, by Martin Walker, set in Perigord, has detailed descriptions of cookery and wines. Reading about kir, an aperitif made from creme de cassis and champagne or still white wine led me to buy a bottle of creme de cassis, a dense semi-sweet blackcurrant liqueur, which I mixed with club soda. Good.

Thanks

I like something different too. That's why I add lemonade to it. Otherwise, it's coffee (I like Illy the best) or tea (green, darjeeling or oolong).

Occasionally I'll indulge in a birch beer from the Amish store.

Thanks

Never had birch beer. Wonder if they make it in Finland?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

I've grown very fond of ginger beers, especially if spicier and a lot less sweet than ginger ales. Some of the small-batch versions pack quite a punch.

Some of this is interrelated with a health issue: not from over-consumption, but I gave up any alcohol a few years ago (and sadly miss those Sippers posted above). As such, I only have a 'mocktail' at most anymore, but the funny thing is that those are trending now, and more and more bars and restaurants are coming up with really unique and tasty beverages sans alcohol.

I'm sorry to say, though, that I had found my absolute favorite hot weather drink of all time, only to have them stop producing after a few years (and I stopped, too!): when in Hawaii we frequented the Kona Brewing Co., The would make small runs of new brews to try out at different times of the year, and one summer they came up with a golden lager that was infused with ginger and lemongrass, called Lemongrass Luau. Oh, man, it was so thirst-quenching and just ridiculously tasty. I almost cried when I realized they had stopped making it!

Here's mud in your eye!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I enjoy sparkling wine, either on its own or with some cranberry juice. Vodka also pairs well with cranberry. A fruit smoothie, alcoholic or not. A Mexican Coca-Cola over ice, either full strength or 1:1 with seltzer is magical on a hot summer day.

Thanks

Similar to root beer, but a little different. Seems to be a Pennsylvania Dutch thing. Locals are Mennonites, and get a lot of their stuff from PA.

Good article/history here.

Thanks

I'm heading off to my winter residence for a few days. One of the minor attractions in the area was that Scott's Brewery, a local institution, made and sold their own ginger beer and it was magnificent. I find a lot of modern ginger beers lack the punch of those from my youth. Alas that they stopped production a couple of years back. When I asked the manager about this I was informed that it was due to inability to source sufficient quantities of high enough quality ginger, and that they didn't want to put out a less excellent product. Pity, it was a super ginger beer.

For those with a little curiosity, the picture in my profile is actually me. It's a little hard to see but I am eating a Devonshire Cream tea in a tiny tea house in the south Devon town of Totnes. As a Devonian I grew up with scones, jam, clotted cream (oh how my arteries berate me) and Earl Grey tea (no milk, no sugar). Over the years Totnes, just 25 miles from my home town, became a haven for those with alternative lifestyles, and is a vibrant, thriving and fun community. It's also where I regularly went for isolation tank sessions. Fun times. On festival days you could take your chances trying any of the myriad homemade beverages, some of which could strip paint, others could make hairs grow on the back of your hands.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

dneal (June 22nd, 2022), Lloyd (June 22nd, 2022), TSherbs (June 22nd, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    I start the day with a big Yeti cup, full of ice, with 1/3 Simply LemonadeTM and 2/3 water. Cuts down on the sugar and adds a hint of lemon flavor.

As the day goes on, the cup gets refilled with water straight from the well. 50-ish degrees and filtered through 60' of limestone.

Although we have a softener and reverse osmosis unit to take the lime and iron out of the water, for the sake of plumbing and appliances; not much tastes better than water straight from the aquifer.

IMG_1594.jpeg

In 2007 I was looking for myself in the southern deserts of Jordan - it's in the Middle East. Anyway, I was a guest of a local tribe and one day they took me over to Wadi al-Ramm (the Valley of the Moon) where, like my countryman TE Lawrence, I was afforded the pleasure of drinking water directly from the spring at Ain Shalaaleh. Hard to beat, especially on a day when the temperature regularly topped 40 degrees C (close to 100F).

Thanks

I'm familiar with the region. We get a few digits above 100 here, with 100% humidity. You think you're sweating like crazy, but it's really a lot of condensation since you're cooler and less humid than the surrounding air. Basically a human soda bottle.

Anyway, if you really want to see misery, Qatar or Kuwait tops my list. 130 next to a large body of water. Who knew the desert could be so humid?

Unfortunately, no springs or wells handy... Just pallets of (hot) bottled water.

Thanks

I've heard that, people practically melting onto the pavement. Don't truly understand how people can live in such conditions. The dishdasha and keffiyah helps a bit, but I suspect one must be better acclimated than I ever was.

Thanks

I wonder, too. In case you're interested, anyone with access to a healthy, moderate-sized birch tree can make birch beer. This video explains how, perhaps in more detail than some would prefer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOz1HCRG1Vo From around 16:54 of the video, raw birch sap and finished birch beer are both sampled.