View Poll Results: Do you visit the main site, FPGeeks.com, and how often?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, at least once per day.

23 42.59%
  • Yes, at least once per week.

15 27.78%
  • Maybe only a few times per month.

6 11.11%
  • I rarely visit the main site.

9 16.67%
  • I never visit the main site.

1 1.85%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: How many of you visit the main site, FPGeeks.com and how often?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Default Poll: How many of you visit the main site, FPGeeks.com and how often?

I'm trying to determine whether it would be beneficial to cross post articles from the blog to the forums. If a majority of member visit the site, then I see no added benefit.

Please weigh in by casting your vote and/or leaving a comment.

Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Poll: How many of you visit the main site, FPGeeks.com and how often?

My main link to FPGeeks is the forum link. I sometimes forget to look at the main page. I do go there about once a week to catch up on the news.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Poll: How many of you visit the main site, FPGeeks.com and how often?

I rarely visit the main site. I'm not a fan of video reviews and so a once a month or so check can find any written reviews that look interesting.

Thanks

I feel the separation between the main site and forum is beneficial for me. As I'm not much of a fan of social platforms, I can sometimes escape to the main site and read articles without feeling an urge to make a comment.. (again, me.)
    Also, as one who take his first visit to the forum after more than a year, I'm sure there are some visitors who aren't interested in the forum and drops by the main site only..
    ✖ Ilan Gai ✒ An Addict ✖

Thanks

So how many of you would like to see content from the blog posted in the forum as well? Do you not visit the blog because you're not interested in the content or just because you prefer the forum setting? Or is there another reason?
    Last edited by dannzeman; August 20th, 2013 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,080 Times in 4,025 Posts

Dan, I enjoy the general conversation and interaction of a forum. Seeing the activity and the give-and-take is a way to spend my time and be interactive. I *do* have your main site on an RSS feed that goes to the home page of my browser. As I start in to the day, I look to see if there is an interesting article or announcement, and then I take a look. I'm not sure I ever just click on the site link blindly to just check it out.

As with Jar, I simply don't have the time in my life for video reviews. I wish I did, but carving out 5-10-30 minutes at a time to just watch and listen doesn't happen for me, but I am well aware that others find it a great resource.

I wouldn't have any problem if you put stuff on the forum as well - maybe a dedicated subforum so that it is going to it's own little niche.

HTH.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

I don't VISIT the main site. But I subscribe to it via RSS. So I see all the articles and really don't need to see them here. I also don't have time for video reviews. I appreciate the written reviews. Most articles through aren't really very relevant as I'm not a modern pen collector.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Hawk (July 4th, 2014)

Thanks

Far and away the most useful things to me from the main site are the zip files which go with Stephen's Inkcyclopedia entries. If they were to find a place within the Ink Reviews section of the forum along with a low res pic, that would be a worthwhile resource I think.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

I also don't care for video reviews. (Though it seems that many, many people do.) So I rarely visit the main site these days.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Hawk (July 4th, 2014)

Thanks

The forum setting works best for me.
    JBBPensPaper an Etsy store

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

If you tweet or Facebook with the article, I usually click and go take a look. Otherwise, I go to the site once a week or so. I don't watch too many videos either, but read what I can to learn new things, or confirm things I think I know. I am a modern collector so I always find something relevant. Either way you decide to do it, I'll be there.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Just to add, I go to Facebook about once or twice every quarter and never read tweets.

Thanks

At work my pc FPG link lands on the main site. I look forward to new articles with the good quality images you usually post. Must say that I generally don't have time to open up video reviews however written reviews I read.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

If it ain't broke why fix it?
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks

The video reviews are worth more than thousand words and pics. I really appreciate the effort.
    Last edited by Tony Rex; August 20th, 2013 at 08:16 AM.

Thanks

Just some first thoughts. A forum is nice for members but there are lots of people not (yet) members looking for general info. I think these will scared away when they have to search too deep for stuff they are looking for (and will not become members). Cross-posting between blog and forum might on the other hand cause members not to visit the main-page so they will see only the items that are indeed posted here. My feeling is that the set-up is ok as it is. I check the main-page at least once a day. Another thing that just jumps up: by cross-posting, you will also have two locations for comments and split up discussions. Finally, reducing the traffic on the main-page in this way might have some impact on advertising, should there be any in the future.
    here men from the pennet earth
    first set nib on the moon
    we came in peace for all penknid

Thanks

I access the forum through fpgeeks.com.

I also enjoy your video reviews and video reviews in general. If they seem to long, it is easy to sort of "speed" through. Long to me, is over 8-10 minutes.

On a ranch straight from a Farside comic.
    Thanks

I often follow links to reviews from Facebook, only going to the main site if I'm looking for something specific and, along with others here, don't have time for video reviews.
    Fred

Thanks

i make the pen-rounds everyday, and click into the main site to get to the forum.

Also worth noting [as stated above]: Anyone (like myself) who has entered any of the online contests would also have fpgeeks news on Facebook and Twitter. (Unless they removed it afterwards--which would be a bit slimy, really.) So i often see the same announcements 3 times a day. (Sometimes it feels like rooting thru my parents' closet on the 23rd of December and finding Christmas presents wrapped in saran-wrap. If that makes sense.)

Who knows. i'd leave 'um separate, honestly.

Thanks

I appreciate the feedback, everyone. Please keep it coming.