Thread: "Bump"

Thanks

Default "Bump"

Albert Einstein, Benjamin Franklin and Mark Twain have all been attributed with saying "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." It is unclear which, if any, of them may have actually said this........ but it is a concept with much merit.

Does anybody else get sick & tired of seeing the same sales posts repeatedly getting bumped up to the top of the first page again and again and again?
    For months & months on end??

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (June 26th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Default Re: "Bump"

Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    Does anybody else get sick & tired of seeing the same sales posts repeatedly getting bumped up to the top of the first page again and again and again?
    Yes. But nothing can be done about it like nothing can seemingly be done about everything else that's annoying around here so we just have to ignore it and get on with it.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

724Seney (June 25th, 2022)

Thanks

Yes . . . and no. The smart person knows when his ad is a lost cause, either because of disinterest in the item or too high a price.

On the other hand, bumping works. The last few pens I have sold here were as a result of one or more bump-ups. I just sold a Pilot 845 this week after it had been listed since November and I bumped it up, and I sold an Otto Hutt a few weeks back after doing the same.

I agree though, there should be a limit. There's been an ad for a bottle of Montblanc ink that's been bumped for a couple of years now to no interest whatsoever that I can see. Whoever moderates the For Sale forum should set some limits on things like that. Maybe no more than one bump a month, something like that.
    Last edited by markofp; June 25th, 2022 at 02:23 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to markofp For This Useful Post:

724Seney (June 25th, 2022), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (September 18th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,813 Times in 1,426 Posts

I see it similar to Chrissy. The unsuccessful and repetitive sales attempts hardly bother me. From my point of view, there are far more unpleasant things in this forum.
    Last edited by christof; June 25th, 2022 at 02:34 PM.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

724Seney (June 25th, 2022), amk (September 24th, 2022), carlos.q (June 25th, 2022), Chrissy (June 25th, 2022), Empty_of_Clouds (June 25th, 2022), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (September 18th, 2022), Jon Szanto (June 26th, 2022), manoeuver (June 27th, 2022), TFarnon (September 21st, 2022), Yazeh (June 25th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    Yes. But nothing can be done about it like nothing can seemingly be done about everything else that's annoying around here so we just have to ignore it and get on with it.
    Solutions exist, but those of a unilateral nature tend to be unsuccessful.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by markofp View Post
    I agree though, there should be a limit. There's been an ad for a bottle of Montblanc ink that's been bumped for a couple of years now to no interest whatsoever that I can see. Whoever moderates the For Sale forum should set some limits on things like that. Maybe no more than one bump a month, something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by christof View Post
    I see it similar to Chrissy. The unsuccessful and repetitive sales attempts hardly bother me. From my point of view, there are far more unpleasant things in this forum.
    @markofp: That bottle of ink might be more likely to turn to dust before it sells at that price, and it's guaranteed to do so before we ever see a moderator around any forum in this place but there is at least a way to try to mitigate the problem of seeing loads of repeated sales posts.
    If it it your normal practice to click on "New Posts" when you first come to FPG on any day then you could click on the first "For Sale" that you see, then on the top line click on "Forum Tools" then check "Mark This Forum Read." It will remember that for 24 hours and won't show you posts in that forum.

@christof
    That method can be used for any particular forum you don't wish to see posts for.
    Last edited by Chrissy; June 25th, 2022 at 11:13 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

724Seney (June 26th, 2022), christof (June 26th, 2022), countrydirt (September 19th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    If it it your normal practice to click on "New Posts" when you first come to FPG on any day then you could click on the first "For Sale" that you see, then on the top line click on "Forum Tools" then check "Mark This Forum Read." It will remember that for 24 hours and won't show you posts in that forum.
    This is precisely my way of dealing with this and similar issues. It can be done very quickly and while it isn't as nice as never having to do it, it make life bearable in our situation.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (June 26th, 2022), countrydirt (September 19th, 2022)

Thanks

I don't always watch the sales page closely, and many of my purchases have been on a second or third "bump." I personally don't mind them, even if seeing an overpriced bottle of ink with 5 pages of bumps attached to it is annoying.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bunnspecial For This Useful Post:

TFarnon (September 21st, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bunnspecial View Post
    I don't always watch the sales page closely, and many of my purchases have been on a second or third "bump." I personally don't mind them, even if seeing an overpriced bottle of ink with 5 pages of bumps attached to it is annoying.
    I don't particularly watch them either and if I posted any Classified For Sale ads I might decide to add one or two "bumps" on them myself due to them getting buried very quickly in that forum. Multiple or 5 pages worth of "bumps" seem really excessive and for me personally it's occasionally worth not seeing that forum for 24 hours.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

There is a sales page?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    There is a sales page?
    LOL Yep - a whole forum to itself. I suppose there are some members who don't use it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bunnspecial View Post
    Same here. I'm not always as alert as I might want to be, and someone's "bump" is sometimes one of the pens I've been dreaming of.

Thanks

As an alternative to the rather facile word 'bump' it may be better to post some additional information such as close up photographs or details about the pen that were not in the original post, something that shows a little inspiration, shows a little spark.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to RobJohnson For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (September 21st, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    As an alternative to the rather facile word 'bump' it may be better to post some additional information such as close up photographs or details about the pen that were not in the original post, something that shows a little inspiration, shows a little spark.
    That sound like a brilliant idea. If only........

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

RobJohnson (September 21st, 2022), Yazeh (September 21st, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

The same reasoning in this thread should be applied to spam: report it and move on. Don't comment because that just brings the spam to the top of the pile again (unless that is what commenters want of course).