Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: "Bump"

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    568
    Thanks
    206
    Thanked 280 Times in 168 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default "Bump"

    Albert Einstein, Benjamin Franklin and Mark Twain have all been attributed with saying "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." It is unclear which, if any, of them may have actually said this........ but it is a concept with much merit.

    Does anybody else get sick & tired of seeing the same sales posts repeatedly getting bumped up to the top of the first page again and again and again?
    For months & months on end??

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

    Chrissy (June 26th, 2022)

  3. #2
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    9,557
    Thanks
    5,484
    Thanked 8,697 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: "Bump"

    Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    Does anybody else get sick & tired of seeing the same sales posts repeatedly getting bumped up to the top of the first page again and again and again?
    For months & months on end??
    Yes. But nothing can be done about it like nothing can seemingly be done about everything else that's annoying around here so we just have to ignore it and get on with it.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    724Seney (June 25th, 2022)

  5. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 16 Times in 9 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: "Bump"

    Yes . . . and no. The smart person knows when his ad is a lost cause, either because of disinterest in the item or too high a price.

    On the other hand, bumping works. The last few pens I have sold here were as a result of one or more bump-ups. I just sold a Pilot 845 this week after it had been listed since November and I bumped it up, and I sold an Otto Hutt a few weeks back after doing the same.

    I agree though, there should be a limit. There's been an ad for a bottle of Montblanc ink that's been bumped for a couple of years now to no interest whatsoever that I can see. Whoever moderates the For Sale forum should set some limits on things like that. Maybe no more than one bump a month, something like that.
    Last edited by markofp; June 25th, 2022 at 03:23 PM.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to markofp For This Useful Post:

    724Seney (June 25th, 2022), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (September 18th, 2022)

  7. #4
    Senior Member christof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Confoederatio Helvetica
    Posts
    1,476
    Thanks
    1,016
    Thanked 5,070 Times in 1,064 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: "Bump"

    I see it similar to Chrissy. The unsuccessful and repetitive sales attempts hardly bother me. From my point of view, there are far more unpleasant things in this forum.
    Last edited by christof; June 25th, 2022 at 03:34 PM.

  8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

    724Seney (June 25th, 2022), amk (September 24th, 2022), carlos.q (June 25th, 2022), Chrissy (June 25th, 2022), Empty_of_Clouds (June 25th, 2022), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (September 18th, 2022), Jon Szanto (June 26th, 2022), manoeuver (June 27th, 2022), TFarnon (September 21st, 2022), Yazeh (June 25th, 2022)

  9. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,239
    Thanks
    873
    Thanked 2,508 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: "Bump"

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    Does anybody else get sick & tired of seeing the same sales posts repeatedly getting bumped up to the top of the first page again and again and again?
    For months & months on end??
    Yes. But nothing can be done about it like nothing can seemingly be done about everything else that's annoying around here so we just have to ignore it and get on with it.
    Solutions exist, but those of a unilateral nature tend to be unsuccessful.

  10. #6
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    9,557
    Thanks
    5,484
    Thanked 8,697 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: "Bump"

    Quote Originally Posted by markofp View Post
    I agree though, there should be a limit. There's been an ad for a bottle of Montblanc ink that's been bumped for a couple of years now to no interest whatsoever that I can see. Whoever moderates the For Sale forum should set some limits on things like that. Maybe no more than one bump a month, something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by christof View Post
    I see it similar to Chrissy. The unsuccessful and repetitive sales attempts hardly bother me. From my point of view, there are far more unpleasant things in this forum.
    @markofp: That bottle of ink might be more likely to turn to dust before it sells at that price, and it's guaranteed to do so before we ever see a moderator around any forum in this place but there is at least a way to try to mitigate the problem of seeing loads of repeated sales posts.
    If it it your normal practice to click on "New Posts" when you first come to FPG on any day then you could click on the first "For Sale" that you see, then on the top line click on "Forum Tools" then check "Mark This Forum Read." It will remember that for 24 hours and won't show you posts in that forum.

    @christof
    That method can be used for any particular forum you don't wish to see posts for.
    Last edited by Chrissy; June 26th, 2022 at 12:13 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    724Seney (June 26th, 2022), christof (June 26th, 2022), countrydirt (September 19th, 2022)

  12. #7
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,159
    Thanks
    7,175
    Thanked 9,974 Times in 3,683 Posts
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: "Bump"

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    If it it your normal practice to click on "New Posts" when you first come to FPG on any day then you could click on the first "For Sale" that you see, then on the top line click on "Forum Tools" then check "Mark This Forum Read." It will remember that for 24 hours and won't show you posts in that forum.
    This is precisely my way of dealing with this and similar issues. It can be done very quickly and while it isn't as nice as never having to do it, it make life bearable in our situation.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

    Chrissy (June 26th, 2022), countrydirt (September 19th, 2022)

  14. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    St. Louis area
    Posts
    312
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 161 Times in 93 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: "Bump"

    I don't always watch the sales page closely, and many of my purchases have been on a second or third "bump." I personally don't mind them, even if seeing an overpriced bottle of ink with 5 pages of bumps attached to it is annoying.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to bunnspecial For This Useful Post:

    TFarnon (September 21st, 2022)

  16. #9
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    9,557
    Thanks
    5,484
    Thanked 8,697 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: "Bump"

    Quote Originally Posted by bunnspecial View Post
    I don't always watch the sales page closely, and many of my purchases have been on a second or third "bump." I personally don't mind them, even if seeing an overpriced bottle of ink with 5 pages of bumps attached to it is annoying.
    I don't particularly watch them either and if I posted any Classified For Sale ads I might decide to add one or two "bumps" on them myself due to them getting buried very quickly in that forum. Multiple or 5 pages worth of "bumps" seem really excessive and for me personally it's occasionally worth not seeing that forum for 24 hours.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  17. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    SFO USA
    Posts
    1,297
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 1,036 Times in 535 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: "Bump"

    There is a sales page?

  18. #11
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    9,557
    Thanks
    5,484
    Thanked 8,697 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: "Bump"

    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    There is a sales page?
    LOL Yep - a whole forum to itself. I suppose there are some members who don't use it.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  19. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Reno-Sparks, Nevada
    Posts
    256
    Thanks
    407
    Thanked 253 Times in 127 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: "Bump"

    Quote Originally Posted by bunnspecial View Post
    I don't always watch the sales page closely, and many of my purchases have been on a second or third "bump." I personally don't mind them, even if seeing an overpriced bottle of ink with 5 pages of bumps attached to it is annoying.
    Same here. I'm not always as alert as I might want to be, and someone's "bump" is sometimes one of the pens I've been dreaming of.

  20. #13
    Senior Member RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    197
    Thanks
    177
    Thanked 224 Times in 125 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: "Bump"

    As an alternative to the rather facile word 'bump' it may be better to post some additional information such as close up photographs or details about the pen that were not in the original post, something that shows a little inspiration, shows a little spark.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to RobJohnson For This Useful Post:

    Yazeh (September 21st, 2022)

  22. #14
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    9,557
    Thanks
    5,484
    Thanked 8,697 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: "Bump"

    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    As an alternative to the rather facile word 'bump' it may be better to post some additional information such as close up photographs or details about the pen that were not in the original post, something that shows a little inspiration, shows a little spark.
    That sound like a brilliant idea. If only........
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    RobJohnson (September 21st, 2022), Yazeh (September 21st, 2022)

  24. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,239
    Thanks
    873
    Thanked 2,508 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: "Bump"

    The same reasoning in this thread should be applied to spam: report it and move on. Don't comment because that just brings the spam to the top of the pile again (unless that is what commenters want of course).

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •