Thread: Shorthand

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Shorthand

Quick survey, sort of.

Anyone here take notes or write using a recognised shorthand method?

As my Uni studies continue I often consider whether to start using software such as OneNote, or pen and paper. The latter of these two is kind of a preference as I think I learn better that way, but it has been supported by lectures being available as a recording so I can stop and take notes and then resume. I find it difficult to take legible notes in real time is what I am saying.

So, I am considering the time and effort it would take to learn a shorthand method, and then write up the notes later in the day (when I've finished work in fact).

Reading around suggests that Forkner method is easier for those who normally write in cursive, and that Gregg Notehand and Simplified are generally easier than the more formal methods. Unfortunately I don't really have any experience in using any of these so was hoping for some pointers from you lot!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

Default Re: Shorthand

I can't imagine trying to learn a new writing method AND the material of your classes AND hold down your job AND marriage, etc.

I would stick to what you already can do the fastest, and make do with that.

YRMV

I have never used any kind of shorthand, and I always handwrite notes. Old dogs, new tricks.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (July 9th, 2022)

Thanks

I used OneNote at my last job. (And I do mean last.) I encountered a bit of a learning curve before gaining efficiency with it. Once I was adept, it was indeed more efficient than pen and paper for my purpose. I don't recommend attempting to learn OneNote while heavily engaged in learning other things. I especially recommend against attempting to learn it while relying on it for learning the other things.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Niner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

For my use OneNote is pretty straightforward and would simply represent an e-version of an open paper notebook with some organisation options. It doesn't look too complicated at this stage, and I am only taking one course per semester, so the educational load isn't that great (think one lecture a week plus one tutorial a week and that's it!).

The other concern I have is that using OneNote moves me further away from using my pens!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (July 9th, 2022), TSherbs (July 9th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    For my use OneNote is pretty straightforward and would simply represent an e-version of an open paper notebook with some organisation options. It doesn't look too complicated at this stage, and I am only taking one course per semester, so the educational load isn't that great (think one lecture a week plus one tutorial a week and that's it!).

The other concern I have is that using OneNote moves me further away from using my pens!
    Your proposed OneNote use doesn't sound risky then, except that there's risk of losing your OneNote file. The risk is rather analogous to the risk of losing your paper notebook.

I agree about the pens! However, as the philosopher Wayne tells us, "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do."
    Last edited by Niner; July 9th, 2022 at 05:13 PM. Reason: which keyboard key does what?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Niner For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I just scrawl illegibly and quickly with a gel pen when I'm taking comprehensive notes. Usually I can make sense of them afterwards, even if I am horrified by my own handwriting. I never did learn shorthand.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TFarnon For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (July 10th, 2022), Lloyd (July 10th, 2022)