Thread: FS: Waterman Ink-Vue Deluxe w/ PINK nib | Patrician | 58 Woodgrain/Ripple | Nurse Set

Thanks

Default FS: Waterman Ink-Vue Deluxe w/ PINK nib | Patrician | 58 Woodgrain/Ripple | Nurse Set

Album with full-sized photos (from my reddit listing earlier today): https://imgur.com/a/emOj7Nb

Condition (n.b.): All pens listed below have been disassembled, cleaned and restored with new sacs installed in the last couple weeks. *Each of these pens is guaranteed to fill and write as designed without leaks or other problems. Nibs have been adjusted when necessary to ensure that all lay down a smooth and consistent line.*

THESE PENS HAVE NO CRACKS (except nib of #3), CHIPS, PERSONALIZATIONS, LOOSE OR MISSING PARTS, BENT NIBS, MISALIGNED TINES, BROKEN/WORN OFF TIPPING, OR THREADING ISSUES.

Line Widths and Writing Samples: To provide buyers with as much information as possible, I have started to adopt the following line width standards: XXF (.1-.2mm); XF (approx .3mm); F (approx .4mm); M (approx .6mm); B (approx .8mm). Nib flexibility is determined by variation (max line width under pressure) and softness (amount of pressure). Flexibility designations based on variation generally run as follows for an XF/F nib: Semi-Flex (approx. 1mm); Flex (1.4-1.9mm); Superflex (>2mm). All line width measurements are taken with a digital caliper but should be considered approximations providing a general guide. Width may vary slightly depending on type of ink and paper used as well as amount of pressure applied. All writing samples are on Rhodia dot paper using Waterman Serenity Blue.

Note on *These* Writing Samples: The value of some of the nibs alone in this batch is so high that it made me paranoid, leading me to exercise what was probably inordinate care and caution in flexing them. Once you've gotten the feel for one, there's a good chance that you can safely produce a wider max line width than is recorded in the samples.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. c.1936 WATERMAN INK-VUE DELUXE (Emerald Ray, celluloid, GPT, Ink-Vue filler, 14k Superflex/Wet Noodle PINK keyhole nib). The Deluxe was the largest model, measuring 5 5/16" capped. The Ink-Vue was Waterman's response to popular vacuum filling FPs from other Big Four Makers of the 30s, pens such as Parker's Vacumatic, Sheaffer's Balance, Eversharp's 2nd-gen Doric, and Conklin's Nozac. Like these pens, the Ink-Vue stores ink directly in a partly transparent barrel, making it not only more capacious (than a lever-filler) but more user-friendly as it enables one to see how much ink remains. Like the Vacumatic, Waterman Ink-Vues use a latex sac not to hold the ink, but to create a vacuum to fill the barrel when the lever is operated. It's essentially a combination of a lever- and bulb-filler. Just unlock the two-piece ("Double Action") lever, depress the back part upward against the barrel 4-5 times until the pen is full (see [VIDEO](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDgis5hfVC4&t=2m17s)). (Note: this video is from someone else – for purposes of illustration only). In my eyes, the Ink-Vue is the ultimate Art Deco pen: from the color pattern, to the trim, to the elegantly stepped ends. Priced at $8.50, the Ink-Vue Deluxe arguably replaced the Patrician as Waterman's flagship model. In addition to being slightly larger than the standard Ink-Vue, it featured the larger keyhole nib from the No. 7 pen as well as matching celluloid section and more generous, milled trim ([CATALOGUE PAGE](https://imgur.com/tCASi6H)). For a brief period these nibs were color-coded. Each color – stamped on the top – signified a different grind or level of flexibility. PINK was the most flexible nib among them. For collectors and writers alike, these scarce PINK nibs have long been the gold-standard for what a flexible, calligraphic nib should be. This Ink-Vie Deluxe is equipped with a 14k #7 sized PINK nib that yields Super-Flexible variation with softness and flow verging on a Wet Noodle. It lays down a smooth and consistent XF line that widens to a 4B+ (approx 2.4mm) under very light pressure (see [WRITING SAMPLE](https://imgur.com/z0QM0Pw) – please note the change in flexibility designation). Everyone today seems to be looking for a Wet Noodle. But Waterman believed the ideal flex nib was a matter of compromise between softness and snap-back. I couldn't agree more. While I wouldn't call this nib a full-fledged Wet Noodle, that slight compromise in softness pays dividends in how responsive it is. If you're looking for maximal control over the line from a nib that snaps back like a live wire when pressure is lifted, then this one's for you. That, as well as the thin hairlines it produces and reliable flow over its full range of flex make it the ideal choice for calligraphic writing styles such as Copperplate and Spencerian. **Condition:** excellent/near mint [B+]. This pen has seen so little use, I wouldn't hesitate to call it collector- or museum-grade. Gold-plated trim shows no brassing or other notable wear aside from negligible slivers on the sides of the triangular portion at the bottom of the lever box. Note that nib has a patina in the photos, which I'll polish off before shipment. Celluloid has a smooth, lustrous surface with no deep scratches or other notable blemishes – scarcely even any microscratches! Barrel transparency is superb, with ink level clearly visible when pen is filled ([DETAIL PHOTO](https://imgur.com/dTry6F2)). Pen was fully disassembled, cleaned, and outfitted with a new sac in the last couple months. Now fills to factory capacity. Manufacturer imprint on barrel-end is factory deep and fully legible. An uncommon pen with a rare nib in nearly pristine condition. Once could spend a decade searching for another like it. Price: $1100 SOLD [on another forum]

2. c.1930 WATERMAN PATRICIAN (Onyx, celluloid, GPT, lever filler, 14k XXF Flex nib). The Patrician was an oversized pen with a thick girth and capped length of 5 3/8". When FP collectors hear the words "Waterman" and "icon" together, the Patrician immediately springs to mind. It was the first celluloid pen Waterman ever made and they spared no expense to ensure that this flagship model was made to the highest standards (more than 300 handcrafted operations were involved in its production). This Patrician is made of celluloid in the desirable Onyx color pattern, complemented by gold-plated trim in high Art Deco style and red hard rubber accents (including matching RHR section and feed). Note that Onyx was the only color to receive RHR accents. Also nice to see the gold-plated globe medallion on the barrel-end intact – these are all too often missing. The vast majority of Patricians have rigid nibs, as was the growing fashion at the time. But the commensurably oversized 14k Patrician nib in this pen is a Flexible writer. It lays down a smooth and consistent XXF line that widens to a 3B+ (approx 1.8mm) under moderate pressure (see WRITING SAMPLE: https://imgur.com/IRH3g4J). Needlepoint hairlines, strong snap-back, and reliable flow over its full range of flex make it a great choice for expressive and calligraphic writing styles.

Condition: This pen would grade as near mint were it not for discoloration to the ends of the barrel and cap. The album photos were taken in a light tent, making the pen appear a bit darker than it is, so here's a photo (without the tent) that more accurately conveys what the color looks like in person: https://imgur.com/QqWINXC. Onyx is one of those colors I've always thought to wear this on its sleeve, the discoloration giving the pattern a richer, more complex appearance. Gold-plated trim shows no brassing or other notable wear. Celluloid has a smooth, lustrous surface with no deep scratches or other notable blemishes – scarcely even any microscratches! Manufacturer imprint on barrel is factory deep and fully legible.

Price: $800 $700

3. 1920s WATERMAN 58 (red and black HR, GPT, lever filler, 14k XF Flex nib). This exceedingly oversized model has a barrel girth of 14.5mm (cf. 11.1mm girth of a #52) and measures a hair over 6" capped. Waterman's #8-sized pens were the largest mass-produced lever fillers the company ever made. Just look at thing thing; it dwarfs even the oversized Patrician next to it! This 58 is made of red and black hard rubber in a pattern that includes portions on both cap and barrel conventionally described as "Woodgrain" and others closer to "Ripple," so it's somewhere in between. Gold plated trim includes stout cap band and lever + clip stamped with the Ideal globe logo. Comically massive 14k Waterman Ideal #8 nib is a Flexible writer, laying down a smooth and consistent XF line that widens to a 3B++ (approx 1.9mm) under moderate pressure (see WRITING SAMPLE: https://imgur.com/Jm5l9PU). Thin hairlines, strong snap-back, and reliable flow over its full range of flex make it a great choice for expressive and calligraphic writing styles.

Condition: This pen would grade as near mint were it not for the flaws on the clip and nib. Unfortunately, it looks like someone pulled the clip too far up at some point, creating a wrinkle at the bottom rivet. Note that this is a wrinkle, not a crack. And the clip not only remains secure with no lateral wiggle, the clip ball snaps back as it should (DETAIL PHOTO: https://imgur.com/NlwxgVP). The other flaws that have been factored into the price of this pen involve the nib. There is a thin, tight hairline crack that extends up to the "I" in "MADE IN USA." And despite the nib being entirely straight with perfect tipping alignment, there's what appear to be tool marks on the tines directly behind the tipping (DETAIL PHOTO: https://imgur.com/zj7cVVN). I wrote a few pages with this pen and neither of these flaws had any discernible effect on the nib's performance – the snap back is just as strong as it ever was. All the same, if I were the new owner of this rare and otherwise impressive pen, I'd consider it worthwhile to have the crack and possibly even the flaws on the tines repaired by a professional. I can give you the name of a master nibmeister who has done work like this for me in short order (1-2 weeks) and done so to the highest standards. Other than these demerits, this pen is in exceptional condition. Hard rubber retains its factory color with no discernible fading/oxidation – not even a color difference between the capped portion of the barrel and the rest of the pen. Surface is smooth and lustrous with no deep scratches or other notable blemishes. Gold plated trim is remarkably free of brassing aside from short, tiny slivers toward the bottom of the lever box. Manufacturer imprints on the barrel and number stamp on barrel-end are factory deep and fully legible. A Waterman masterpiece that's terribly hard to find in any condition. Put $100-200 worth of nib work into it, and you've got yourself a steal (last eBay auction for one of these ended for $1800 in May).

Price: $800 $700

4. 1930s NOS WATERMAN NURSE'S SET w/ STICKER + CASE (pearl, celluloid, GPT, lever filler, 14k F Flex nib). One of the larger Nurse's sets, having a pen that measures 4 3/4" capped and 6" posted. In the late 1930s and into the 1940s, Waterman manufactured pens and sets specifically tailored to doctors and nurses (see ADVERT:https://imgur.com/NplU3JP). In addition to FP and MP, this one includes a case resembling a writing implement but designed to store a thermometer. Earlier sets like this one were made of a distinctive, white/cream pearlescent celluloid that's delicate especially prone to conspicuous discoloration. Already harder to come by today than other Watermans of the period, well preserved nurse's sets like this one are downright rare. Not only is the color superb, but the fountain pen retains its original sticker on the barrel-end. What's more, it comes in its factory original, white leather carrying case, which is also in extraordinary shape (DETAIL PHOTO: https://imgur.com/E2kReO8). The thermometer case even contains what appears to be the original mercury thermometer! Red dot inset into the crown of the thermometer case to distinguish it from the pencil when inside the carrying case. Made in Canada imprints on barrel and nib. The FP's sticker indicates a M line but the point is a F in terms of the standards outlined above. The Flexible 14k Ideal #2A nib lays down a smooth and consistent F line that widens to a 3B/4B (approx 1.9mm) under moderate pressure (see WRITING SAMPLE: https://imgur.com/6i1TuyS)). Strong snap-back and reliable flow over its full range of flex for expressive writing styles.

[B]Condition: As it came to me, this set appears to have been used a couple of times then stowed away in a drawer for decades. As mentioned, color is exceptional – only minor ambering around the lever box. The gold-plated trim does show some drawer wear, with spots of brassing on the sides of the clips of the FP and MP as well as a good portion of the clip on the thermometer case. From the photos it looks like I missed some small spots of grime on the cap bands, which will be polished off before shipment. Celluloid surfaces are smooth and lustrous with no deep scratches or other notable blemishes aside from the ops of the MP and thermometer case, which have shallow cracks seen on the ends of some celluloid Watermans (see [DETAIL PHOTO](https://imgur.com/DjdKKxB)). The consensus among collectors and pen mechanics is that these are manufacturing defects made visible by celluloid shrinkage over time. And I've never seen one spread past the crown/butt to the rest of the cap. The cap of the FP was manufactured in the same way but what defects it has never surfaced – perhaps thanks to the larger surface area on which the pressure is exerted (see DETAIL PHOTO: https://imgur.com/vganhwW). Unfortunately, the MP mechanism is not operational and I've no idea how to fix these. Manufacturer imprint on the barrel of the FP is sharp, deep, fully-legible.

Price: $310 SOLD

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shipping: Pens purchased on the weekend are mailed on Tuesday. Otherwise they are mailed within 2 business days of payment. All pens that do not come with their original boxes are packaged in PVC or thick plastic tubes to protect them in transit. To CONUS locations the following shipping options are available:

USPS Priority with tracking for $9

International Customers: Please contact me for shipping quote if located abroad (delivery confirmation required). Please do not ask me to commit mail fraud by altering the declared value of a pen for customs. Not only am I registered as a business but shipping insurance is based on declared value.

New York Customers: For tax purposes, I am now required to add an 8% sales tax on any sale made in the state of NY. If your shipping address is in NY state, please let me know before payment to receive an adjusted total. Discounted shipping is included for NY State residents to help defray the extra cost.

Ordering: Pens are placed on hold for the first person to PM me with firm request to purchase.

Payment, & Guarantee: Payment by Paypal only. All pens are guaranteed to be in the condition in which I've described them. If I've missed something objectionable or the filling mechanism is not fully functional, the buyer may contact me up to 7 days after receiving the pen for a full refund (issued once I receive the pen back in the same condition as sold). Buyer must ship the return no later than 2 weeks after it was delivered to receive a refund. I've sold pens online for over a decade. Please check Reddit's r/pen_swap (u/popcodswallop) for my other open listings as well as the historical sales forum of FPN (username: Estragon) for my past offerings.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by popcod; July 3rd, 2022 at 03:27 PM.
    aka Estragon (FPN); popcodswallop (Reddit)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Trim! –> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein); Balance (grey/red fleck) | First-Yr Crest (silver cap); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, ebonized pearl, green) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: Half Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers from Diamond Medal and Webster (silver web, pinstripe, etc.)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to popcod For This Useful Post:

Cyril (July 1st, 2022), FredRydr (June 26th, 2022), TFarnon (July 7th, 2022)

Thanks

Default Re: FS: Waterman Ink-Vue Deluxe w/ PINK nib | Patrician | 58 Woodgrain/Ripple | Nurse

Prices reduced on remaining pens (as marked)
    aka Estragon (FPN); popcodswallop (Reddit)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Trim! –> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein); Balance (grey/red fleck) | First-Yr Crest (silver cap); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, ebonized pearl, green) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: Half Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers from Diamond Medal and Webster (silver web, pinstripe, etc.)

Thanks

Default Re: FS: Waterman Ink-Vue Deluxe w/ PINK nib | Patrician | 58 Woodgrain/Ripple | Nurse

Because I can't remember how to give seller feedback on this site, and because the last time I tried, it was broken, I'll put it here. I bought the nurse set. Very nice, especially the condition of the pouch. The mercury thermometer is intact, and once I finish shaking the mercury the rest of the way down, I'll be able to test it for accuracy (well, sort of test it for accuracy). It's quite a small thermometer, so I'd guess it was made prior to 1959 (as in 1930s would be reasonable). If my grandmother were still alive, she could tell me. She wasn't a nurse, but every mother who could afford one (and thermometers were cheap) had a mercury thermometer in her medicine cabinet up until at least 1970.

Anyways...the description was interesting and accurate, shipping was reasonable and quick, communication was excellent. It's another pen I didn't need until I held it in my hands. I have a lot of those.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TFarnon For This Useful Post:

popcod (July 8th, 2022)