Thread: Sheaffer blue — a 'renegade' review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,645 Times in 1,131 Posts

Default Sheaffer blue — a 'renegade' review

Sheaffer introduced a new line of inks sometime in 2021 (I think) and switched production from Slovenia to China. I picked up a few bottles last month. Here's a quick overview of the only one I’ve inked up so far: renegade blue.

Sheafferblue1.jpg

I dislike the name. To be fair, I tend to dislike product names that suggest qualities not embodied by the product itself.

It’s a pleasant, conventional, vivid blue with a hint of purple to my eye. Maybe it’s renegade not to call it ‘royal’?

Sheafferblue2.jpg
    (Doodles for the Inktober prompt 'racer'.)

I don’t have any of Sheaffer’s previous inks to compare, so can’t say if or how the new ones have changed.

Sheafferblue3.jpg
    Swatches on Col-o-ring and Atoma paper.

Waterproofness: some will survive accidental spills if you’re quick to mop up.

Sheafferblue4.jpg

The main reason I bought this ink is the bottle. Sheaffer has gone with a design that echoes an earlier tilt-well style.

Sheafferbottle1.jpg

Although the new bottle is smaller (30 ml instead of 50 ml), the well is deeper and about the same width.

Sheafferbottle2.jpg

Sheafferbottle3.jpg

Putting the 'neg' in renegade for a moment, the accent stripe on the cap doesn't match the colour of the ink, though some marketing images indicated it would. Of course it makes sense to standardize the cap. An even more minor quibble: the uncapping sound isn't as satisfying as (say) the old Sailor Jentle bottles.

This is an ink I’ll use and a bottle I’ll reuse.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

carlos.q (June 27th, 2022), Chrissy (June 28th, 2022), christof (June 30th, 2022), Empty_of_Clouds (June 27th, 2022), forester (July 11th, 2023), junglejim (June 29th, 2022), Marsilius (June 27th, 2022), Niner (June 29th, 2022), Prettypenguin (June 28th, 2022), Robert (June 27th, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (June 28th, 2022), welch (July 18th, 2022), Wile E Coyote (June 27th, 2022), Yazeh (June 27th, 2022)

Thanks

Default Re: Sheaffer blue — a 'renegade' review

Nice review, catbert. I like the color.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert For This Useful Post:

catbert (June 27th, 2022)

Thanks

Pretty ink and great review! That’s my favorite color! I also just wanted to note that catbert was complimented by Robert with a cat pic and I thought that was cool.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Prettypenguin For This Useful Post:

catbert (June 28th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,089 Times in 2,212 Posts

Thanks so much for doing this review.
    I have to say, despite myself, the colour looks really nice. But I'm sure, there are many other inks in the same range, starting with Diamine Sapphire...
    I'm sad to hear they moved from Slovenia to China, though...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

catbert (June 28th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 698 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    I have to say, despite myself, the colour looks really nice. But I'm sure, there are many other inks in the same range, starting with Diamine Sapphire...
    I agree.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

catbert (June 30th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,814 Times in 1,426 Posts

It's fun to see your Inktober doodles, also the one on the backside of the paper!!
    Thank you.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

catbert (June 30th, 2022)

Thanks

About the Slovenian ink operation: I disliked the bottle of black Skrip I bought in 2003. I disliked it so much that it's still nearly full. Using it, I felt almost that I was writing with a thin watercolor. Not much more than a wash. It's the only Sheaffer ink I've used (though I have a few red Skrip cartridges that I bought at a good price from a stationer's that was going out of business). But this article leads me to believe that Sheaffer's Slovenian inks improved at some time after my bottle was produced: http://marcuslink.com/pens/ink/sheaffer.htm

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Niner For This Useful Post:

catbert (June 30th, 2022), welch (July 18th, 2022), Yazeh (June 30th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by christof View Post
    It's fun to see your Inktober doodles, also the one on the backside of the paper!!
    Thank you.
    I doodled a lot of vintage racing cars (and drivers) for that prompt before deciding to do something completely different at the last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Niner View Post
    About the Slovenian ink operation: I disliked the bottle of black Skrip I bought in 2003. I disliked it so much that it's still nearly full. Using it, I felt almost that I was writing with a thin watercolor. Not much more than a wash. It's the only Sheaffer ink I've used (though I have a few red Skrip cartridges that I bought at a good price from a stationer's that was going out of business). But this article leads me to believe that Sheaffer's Slovenian inks improved at some time after my bottle was produced: http://marcuslink.com/pens/ink/sheaffer.htm
    I had one bottle of Sheaffer Skrip black before (the empty pictured above), probably US-made. I thought it was watery and disappointing compared to my usual Parker Quink. From a perception point of view it probably didn't help that it was called 'writing fluid' instead of ink. So maybe the earlier Slovenian ink was truer to the original formulation.

Thanks

I didn't think I would ever say this but I am pleased to see the move from metal to plastic, I even scour food shelves for containers with a screw on lid that might just fit my old formerly metal capped ink well bottles. I found that the metal was a little thin and then corroded on the bottle, you then apply some force to the cap to unscrew it which caused more problems.

I like the color, looks bright and a good blue for letters.

Ps. Very dodgy tires on those racing cars, they look like baguettes.
    Last edited by RobJohnson; July 9th, 2022 at 12:06 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to RobJohnson For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 9th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Sheaffer introduced a new line of inks sometime in 2021 (I think) and switched production from Slovenia to China. I picked up a few bottles last month. Here's a quick overview of the only one I’ve inked up so far: bloxd io renegade blue.

Sheafferblue1.jpg

I dislike the name. To be fair, I tend to dislike product names that suggest qualities not embodied by the product itself.

It’s a pleasant, conventional, vivid blue with a hint of purple to my eye. Maybe it’s renegade not to call it ‘royal’?

Sheafferblue2.jpg
    (Doodles for the Inktober prompt 'racer'.)

I don’t have any of Sheaffer’s previous inks to compare, so can’t say if or how the new ones have changed.

Sheafferblue3.jpg
    Swatches on Col-o-ring and Atoma paper.

Waterproofness: some will survive accidental spills if you’re quick to mop up.

Sheafferblue4.jpg

The main reason I bought this ink is the bottle. Sheaffer has gone with a design that echoes an earlier tilt-well style.

Sheafferbottle1.jpg

Although the new bottle is smaller (30 ml instead of 50 ml), the well is deeper and about the same width.

Sheafferbottle2.jpg

Sheafferbottle3.jpg

Putting the 'neg' in renegade for a moment, the accent stripe on the cap doesn't match the colour of the ink, though some marketing images indicated it would. Of course it makes sense to standardize the cap. An even more minor quibble: the uncapping sound isn't as satisfying as (say) the old Sailor Jentle bottles.

This is an ink I’ll use and a bottle I’ll reuse.
    Regarding the ink's waterproofness, it's good to know that some of it can withstand accidental spills if promptly cleaned up. This information can be particularly useful for those who prefer more water-resistant inks.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,366 Times in 3,978 Posts

emmausa is a spambot that fully quotes posts including all of the images because there is no normal intelligence there to remove the images from the quote, then adds on a line of stupidly insignificant text in an unsuccessful attempt to look normal. Reported
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 11th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (July 12th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

I notice the new names (the spam usernames are pretty easy to spot), take a peek, and go through the “ignore” process.

Takes just a moment, and it’s not like this place is particularly busy.

When they post again, I end up with this and chuckle - and enjoy the benefit instead of troubling myself with the detriment.

It is a really nice blue, and a good review.

IMG_0484.jpeg
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 11th, 2023), Lloyd (July 11th, 2023)

Thanks

Well, since the spambot saw fit to resurface this thread, here's some comparative chromatography of the inks mentioned in the review.

Left to right:

Sheaffer renegade blue, Iroshizuku asagao, Krishna paakezah (which bled into the adjacent strips while they were drying, apologies), Montblanc royal blue, J. Herbin bleu océan.

chroma.jpg

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

dneal (July 12th, 2023), forester (July 12th, 2023), Yazeh (July 12th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,089 Times in 2,212 Posts

Interesting how the first two have almost identical chromas. I had a boubou whilst dry a chroma strip, yesterday, too close to a source of water had to dry it again from scratch

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 12th, 2023)