Thread: Sheaffer blue — a 'renegade' review

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,654 Times in 1,132 Posts

Default Sheaffer blue — a 'renegade' review

Sheaffer introduced a new line of inks sometime in 2021 (I think) and switched production from Slovenia to China. I picked up a few bottles last month. Here's a quick overview of the only one I’ve inked up so far: renegade blue.

Sheafferblue1.jpg

I dislike the name. To be fair, I tend to dislike product names that suggest qualities not embodied by the product itself.

It’s a pleasant, conventional, vivid blue with a hint of purple to my eye. Maybe it’s renegade not to call it ‘royal’?

Sheafferblue2.jpg
    (Doodles for the Inktober prompt 'racer'.)

I don’t have any of Sheaffer’s previous inks to compare, so can’t say if or how the new ones have changed.

Sheafferblue3.jpg
    Swatches on Col-o-ring and Atoma paper.

Waterproofness: some will survive accidental spills if you’re quick to mop up.

Sheafferblue4.jpg

The main reason I bought this ink is the bottle. Sheaffer has gone with a design that echoes an earlier tilt-well style.

Sheafferbottle1.jpg

Although the new bottle is smaller (30 ml instead of 50 ml), the well is deeper and about the same width.

Sheafferbottle2.jpg

Sheafferbottle3.jpg

Putting the 'neg' in renegade for a moment, the accent stripe on the cap doesn't match the colour of the ink, though some marketing images indicated it would. Of course it makes sense to standardize the cap. An even more minor quibble: the uncapping sound isn't as satisfying as (say) the old Sailor Jentle bottles.

This is an ink I’ll use and a bottle I’ll reuse.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

carlos.q (June 27th, 2022), Chrissy (June 28th, 2022), christof (June 30th, 2022), Empty_of_Clouds (June 27th, 2022), forester (July 11th, 2023), junglejim (June 29th, 2022), Marsilius (June 27th, 2022), Niner (June 29th, 2022), Prettypenguin (June 28th, 2022), Robert (June 27th, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (June 28th, 2022), welch (July 18th, 2022), Wile E Coyote (June 27th, 2022), Yazeh (June 27th, 2022)