Thread: Open Letter to Sailor

Thanks

Default Open Letter to Sailor

Dear Sailor,

Don't get me wrong. I love your pens. But would you please stop making sets of pens and pink pens for a few years? Again, I love them, but I really don't need every special edition or limited edition pink pen, each in a slightly different shade. My self-control thinks otherwise. It wants them all.

In the interests of full disclosure, this plea applies to basically all fountain pen manufacturers. My motto should be Veni, Vidi, Emi ("I bought", according to google translate) And this plea goes out to all vintage pen sellers, too. I would never have thought that rummaging through my pen drawer and finding a 30-odd year old Waterman Phileas would have triggered this response. I suppose I should be glad I didn't find an unused sports car in my garage...

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to TFarnon For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

amk (July 22nd, 2022), catbert (June 30th, 2022), Chrissy (June 30th, 2022), DrPenfection (September 20th, 2022), Empty_of_Clouds (June 30th, 2022), Jon Szanto (June 30th, 2022), RWS (June 30th, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (June 30th, 2022), scrivelry (June 30th, 2022), sospiro (November 29th, 2022), TSherbs (June 30th, 2022), Yazeh (June 30th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Default Re: Open Letter to Sailor

There are certainly some beautiful pens. Fortunately for me, most are too small for my hands. And too $. But pretty? You bet!

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Thanks

Gah! And now Platinum has announced a couple of sets I don't need but will buy all the same. The first is their annual Plaisir set. Not the most exciting set on the planet, but not hideously expensive and attractive enough. And then there's the Preppy Wa 2 set. Like I need another set of 6 extremely inexpensive pens. They are colorful and cheery.

Thanks

I have this same problem...and as I read through this thread I have placed the new Platinum Preppy Wa pens on pre-order (oops). I was happy to see pink pens here and there until I realized I wanted ALL OF THEM!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sagehen For This Useful Post:

TFarnon (July 22nd, 2022)

Thanks

I don't just want, I neeeeeeed all the pink pens. Or so says my lizard brain. My wallet tells me I am insane. Like I don't know this already?

Thanks

I thought of this thread when I added a Levenger broad nib fountain pen to my shopping cart. Transparent Pink. Has a rollerball in same finish. What could I do?🤷*♀️
    Is there a Levenger thread in these forums?

Thanks

Pink anything sells very well to the female market in Asia, particularly in Japan. You believe that the U.S. market is a bigger marketplace for Pilot than the Asian continent because?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 428 Posts

kumachan. the OP wasn't saying the US market was a bigger marketplace than Asia or Japan. The US is an additional market that loves Pink pens, just as the EU is another market that enjoys Pink pens.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TFarnon View Post
    I don't just want, I neeeeeeed all the pink pens. Or so says my lizard brain. My wallet tells me I am insane. Like I don't know this already?
    Me but with pens that are blue and/or have penguin graphics. Any level from finest urushi/maki-e/raden and solid precious metals to plastic school pens.

Thanks

My too i have big hands ; i buy KOP

Thanks

I would amend the letter and tell Sailor to keep cranking out the special edition. Goulet Pens takes nice photos and I enjoy seeing the e-mails pop up with a new edition of Sailor pens. I may not buy one but my eyes do enjoy seeing them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 698 Posts

When I looked in my pen trays, I noticed that I have far too many black pens. I have several MB 146s and it is hard to tell them apart. Yes, I do have names for all my pens, but when they are triplets . . .

Never having tried a Sailor pen, I recently considered purchasing a Sailor fountain pen, and was favoring a pink pastel colored full sized Pro Gear with a music nib.

But this is what I ended up buying . . . . a black 1911 with a zoom nib! Another black pen that looks like an MB!!! Am I crazy?

But, to redeem myself, - and after using that phenomenal zoom nib for a couple of weeks, I then purchased a 1911 Large in Ivory with a medium nib, and then a Pro Gear with a broad nib, and now a 1911 Large in Asian Way Purple with a fine nib.

I think the Sailor bug has bitten me.

I still want a music nib. May a Winter Sky Pro Gear. Hmmm . . .

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (September 20th, 2022), Lloyd (September 20th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DrPenfection View Post
    When I looked in my pen trays, I noticed that I have far too many black pens. I have several MB 146s and it is hard to tell them apart. Yes, I do have names for all my pens, but when they are triplets . . .

Never having tried a Sailor pen, I recently considered purchasing a Sailor fountain pen, and was favoring a pink pastel colored full sized Pro Gear with a music nib.

But this is what I ended up buying . . . . a black 1911 with a zoom nib! Another black pen that looks like an MB!!! Am I crazy?

But, to redeem myself, - and after using that phenomenal zoom nib for a couple of weeks, I then purchased a 1911 Large in Ivory with a medium nib, and then a Pro Gear with a broad nib, and now a 1911 Large in Asian Way Purple with a fine nib.

I think the Sailor bug has bitten me.

I still want a music nib. May a Winter Sky Pro Gear. Hmmm . . .
    The music nib is a paintbrush. A house paintbrush. And it's on my smallest Sailor, a mini-Sapporo, or whatever it's called. The cap threads onto the end of the section.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (November 10th, 2022)

Thanks

Sailor: great (maybe the best) nibs; mediocre (or worse) resins. I'm also tired of the sparkles they add to nearly every other pen.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Zhivago For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (September 30th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 698 Posts

Sad, sad, sad. The Asian Way Purple with a fine nib was one of the worst nibs I have ever purchased. It was super, super scratchy - not "feedbacky" but scratchy. I sent it back. I then later found a nice Sailor PG with a music nib for an exceptional price. I received it and found that it too had some issues. But because it was returnable, I decided to send it off with some other pens to my favorite nibmeister for a bit of tuning.

In response to the OPs comments, look at the new Goulet Exclusive Sailor. It is "stealth purple" - meaning a dark purple with ruthenium furnishings - very elegant.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DrPenfection View Post
    Sad, sad, sad. The Asian Way Purple with a fine nib was one of the worst nibs I have ever purchased. It was super, super scratchy - not "feedbacky" but scratchy. I sent it back. I then later found a nice Sailor PG with a music nib for an exceptional price. I received it and found that it too had some issues. But because it was returnable, I decided to send it off with some other pens to my favorite nibmeister for a bit of tuning.

In response to the OPs comments, look at the new Goulet Exclusive Sailor. It is "stealth purple" - meaning a dark purple with ruthenium furnishings - very elegant.
    I need to look at this stealth purple. I might need it.

Also, more pens with glitter resin please.