Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 367

Thread: The Rise of the Political Christian

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,398
    Thanks
    122
    Thanked 518 Times in 375 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: The Rise of the Political Christian

    Good talk.
    See you again.

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    US
    Posts
    6,377
    Thanks
    633
    Thanked 891 Times in 684 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: The Rise of the Political Christian

    LOL!!

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    US
    Posts
    6,377
    Thanks
    633
    Thanked 891 Times in 684 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: The Rise of the Political Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    I would think most would consider watching your spouse having sex as odd.
    Many things people do in private others would view as odd.

    Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    To appreciate, you'd need to know about the "Liberty Way" which says, "“being in any state of undress with a member of the opposite sex.”. I am assuming Mrs. Falwell was somewhat naked during her adventure for which her husband, the former president of Liberty University, enjoyed watch her having sex. Did I mention they have three children?

    However, Kaz, is defending them using the religious liberty card.

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,398
    Thanks
    122
    Thanked 518 Times in 375 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: The Rise of the Political Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    However, Kaz, is defending them using the religious liberty card.

    What a pathetic lie.

  5. #45
    Senior Member Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,570
    Thanks
    3,166
    Thanked 870 Times in 549 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: The Rise of the Political Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    I would think most would consider watching your spouse having sex as odd.
    Many things people do in private others would view as odd.

    Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    To appreciate, you'd need to know about the "Liberty Way" which says, "“being in any state of undress with a member of the opposite sex.”. I am assuming Mrs. Falwell was somewhat naked during her adventure for which her husband, the former president of Liberty University, enjoyed watch her having sex. Did I mention they have three children?

    However, Kaz, is defending them using the religious liberty card.
    Is this what you're going on about?
    https://people.com/human-interest/je...y-sex-scandal/
    All three are above 18 years old, consenting, and Gerry states he's not religious. So, who cares?

    Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    US
    Posts
    6,377
    Thanks
    633
    Thanked 891 Times in 684 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: The Rise of the Political Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    I would think most would consider watching your spouse having sex as odd.
    Many things people do in private others would view as odd.

    Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    To appreciate, you'd need to know about the "Liberty Way" which says, "“being in any state of undress with a member of the opposite sex.”. I am assuming Mrs. Falwell was somewhat naked during her adventure for which her husband, the former president of Liberty University, enjoyed watch her having sex. Did I mention they have three children?

    However, Kaz, is defending them using the religious liberty card.
    Is this what you're going on about?
    https://people.com/human-interest/je...y-sex-scandal/
    All three are above 18 years old, consenting, and Gerry states he's not religious. So, who cares?

    Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    Liberty makes no mention of an age in their The Liberty Way.

  7. #47
    Senior Member Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,570
    Thanks
    3,166
    Thanked 870 Times in 549 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: The Rise of the Political Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    I would think most would consider watching your spouse having sex as odd.
    Many things people do in private others would view as odd.

    Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    To appreciate, you'd need to know about the "Liberty Way" which says, "“being in any state of undress with a member of the opposite sex.”. I am assuming Mrs. Falwell was somewhat naked during her adventure for which her husband, the former president of Liberty University, enjoyed watch her having sex. Did I mention they have three children?

    However, Kaz, is defending them using the religious liberty card.
    Is this what you're going on about?
    https://people.com/human-interest/je...y-sex-scandal/
    All three are above 18 years old, consenting, and Gerry states he's not religious. So, who cares?

    Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    Liberty makes no mention of an age in their The Liberty Way.
    Why does the behavior of these three matter to... anyone, Chuck? Why is this immoral? No one is underage, no one was forced/drugged, no animals were abused,...


    Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    US
    Posts
    6,377
    Thanks
    633
    Thanked 891 Times in 684 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: The Rise of the Political Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    I would think most would consider watching your spouse having sex as odd.
    Many things people do in private others would view as odd.

    Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    To appreciate, you'd need to know about the "Liberty Way" which says, "“being in any state of undress with a member of the opposite sex.”. I am assuming Mrs. Falwell was somewhat naked during her adventure for which her husband, the former president of Liberty University, enjoyed watch her having sex. Did I mention they have three children?

    However, Kaz, is defending them using the religious liberty card.
    Is this what you're going on about?
    https://people.com/human-interest/je...y-sex-scandal/
    All three are above 18 years old, consenting, and Gerry states he's not religious. So, who cares?

    Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    Liberty makes no mention of an age in their The Liberty Way.
    Why does the behavior of these three matter to... anyone, Chuck? Why is this immoral? No one is underage, no one was forced/drugged, no animals were abused,...


    Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    If you had a standard for me that you didn’t apply to yourself, would it matter? Do people who choose be in leadership be expected to obey the laws and rules that are applied to those under them? Now, that’s why it matters to me. However, I’m saying it needs to matter to you.

    I do not consider morality as people only doing what is right In their own eyes. Generally, justice requires that rules and laws be equally applicable to all.

    Putin is over 18 and does not live in the US of course. By what standard are you able to criticize him? Perhaps you don’t.

  9. #49
    Senior Member Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,570
    Thanks
    3,166
    Thanked 870 Times in 549 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: The Rise of the Political Christian

    Are you comparing their ménage à trois to Putin?😒
    Are you saying that you never acted hypocritically? Getting upset by someone's behavior despite you doing, or had done, almost the same thing? Do you think you know right from wrong in a way that applies universally?

    Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    Last edited by Lloyd; August 20th, 2022 at 08:57 PM.
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    US
    Posts
    6,377
    Thanks
    633
    Thanked 891 Times in 684 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: The Rise of the Political Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Are you comparing their ménage à trois to Putin?😒
    Are you saying that you never acted hypocritically? Getting upset by someone's behavior despite you doing, or had done, almost the same thing? Do you think you know right from wrong in a way that applies universally?

    Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    Oh hell yes, I have played the hypocrite. I just don't pretend otherwise. Otherwise, I can see you either don't understand the difference or you're just being divisive.

  11. #51
    Senior Member Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,570
    Thanks
    3,166
    Thanked 870 Times in 549 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: The Rise of the Political Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    ... Otherwise, I can see you either don't understand the difference or you're just being divisive.
    Can you explain what you mean in writing the above?

    Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

  12. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    US
    Posts
    6,377
    Thanks
    633
    Thanked 891 Times in 684 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: The Rise of the Political Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    ... Otherwise, I can see you either don't understand the difference or you're just being divisive.
    Can you explain what you mean in writing the above?

    Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    No more explanation should be required. If you disagree, that's fine with me. I am not trying to change your opinion regarding morality or ethics. I've explained and been transparent. At this point, you appear to being trolling.

  13. #53
    Senior Member Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,570
    Thanks
    3,166
    Thanked 870 Times in 549 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: The Rise of the Political Christian

    Which opinion regarding morality or ethics are you alleging me of stating to act troll-like?

    Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

  14. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    US
    Posts
    6,377
    Thanks
    633
    Thanked 891 Times in 684 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: The Rise of the Political Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Which opinion regarding morality or ethics are you alleging me of stating to act troll-like?

    Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    You sound like Kaz. If you disagree, move on, Lloyd.

  15. #55
    Senior Member Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,570
    Thanks
    3,166
    Thanked 870 Times in 549 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: The Rise of the Political Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Which opinion regarding morality or ethics are you alleging me of stating to act troll-like?

    Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    You sound like Kaz. If you disagree, move on, Lloyd.
    If I disagree about what? I sincerely don't know what you're alleging me of?

    Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

  16. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    US
    Posts
    6,377
    Thanks
    633
    Thanked 891 Times in 684 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: The Rise of the Political Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Which opinion regarding morality or ethics are you alleging me of stating to act troll-like?

    Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    You sound like Kaz. If you disagree, move on, Lloyd.
    If I disagree about what? I sincerely don't know what you're alleging me of?

    Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    I can only assume you are not reading my responses to your posts. Therefore, move on, Lloyd. You're making as ass of yourself.

  17. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,449
    Thanks
    2,015
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: The Rise of the Political Christian

    Wow. A stunning opinion piece by Michael Gerson on the un-Christian behavior of the alliance of evangelicals with the radical Right and Trumpism. The piece also includes a good history of the movement of Jesus and what he stood for. I am not really a believing Christian, but this piece has me reflecting deeply (it's an essay, not a brief column)

    from the WaPo (I hope that you can read it. Let me know if you can't and I'll see if there is something I can do):

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...aga-democracy/

  18. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    US
    Posts
    6,377
    Thanks
    633
    Thanked 891 Times in 684 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: The Rise of the Political Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Wow. A stunning opinion piece by Michael Gerson on the un-Christian behavior of the alliance of evangelicals with the radical Right and Trumpism. The piece also includes a good history of the movement of Jesus and what he stood for. I am not really a believing Christian, but this piece has me reflecting deeply (it's an essay, not a brief column)

    from the WaPo (I hope that you can read it. Let me know if you can't and I'll see if there is something I can do):

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...aga-democracy/
    Can’t access, Ted. I’d love to read I’d you can gift it.

  19. #59
    Senior Member Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,570
    Thanks
    3,166
    Thanked 870 Times in 549 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: The Rise of the Political Christian

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Wow. A stunning opinion piece by Michael Gerson on the un-Christian behavior of the alliance of evangelicals with the radical Right and Trumpism. The piece also includes a good history of the movement of Jesus and what he stood for. I am not really a believing Christian, but this piece has me reflecting deeply (it's an essay, not a brief column)

    from the WaPo (I hope that you can read it. Let me know if you can't and I'll see if there is something I can do):

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...aga-democracy/
    Can’t access, Ted. I’d love to read I’d you can gift it.
    Here's a pdf of it I made
    http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/6316a420...%20article.PDF


    Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

  20. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    US
    Posts
    6,377
    Thanks
    633
    Thanked 891 Times in 684 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: The Rise of the Political Christian

    Thank you Lloyd. Here is a piece he wrote in 2018. I’ve seen him with David Brooks on PBS Fridays.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...tation/554066/

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

    Lloyd (September 5th, 2022)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •