Thread: Ink Review: Cult Pens Taj Mahal - New Wonders of the World series - Diamine Exclusive

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Ink Review: Cult Pens Taj Mahal - New Wonders of the World series - Diamine Exclusive

Today I'm reviewing Cult Pens Taj Mahal ink, their latest Diamine Inks exclusive. It is the first of a new series of inks inspired by the modern Wonders of the World and by 'modern' they mean still in existence. This is from the Cult Pens newsletter that introduces this ink:

“The Taj Mahal is one of the world's most iconic structures and was built in India in the 17th century by Shah Jehan in honour of his wife Mumtaz Mahal. It took 22 years to construct, and its white marble includes pietra dura - a type of mosaic - which features semi-precious stones. Our ink is a deep and beautiful blue to represent lapis lazuli, one of the stones included.”

This is a saturated, dark blue ink made to resemble the blue of Lapis Lazuli in the pietra dura mosaic on the Taj Mahal. It has a pinkish red sheen.

It didn’t suffer from any hard starts or non-starts when I put the uncapped pen down to do swab tests, dry times and water resistance.
    I found no start-up problems after leaving the pen overnight.
    It dried quite quickly and once dry it didn’t smudge or smear.

I saw some show through and a few dots of bleed through but could still have written on the reverse of my Xerox ColorPrint 100gsm smooth, coated paper.

Some pinkish red sheen is visible when using pens with good flow and broader nibs on smooth papers where it doesn’t soak in immediately.

Flow Rate: Good - not dry
    Lubrication: Good -smooth
    Nib Dry-out: Not noticed.
    Start-up: Immediate.
    Saturation: Saturated ink.
    Shading Potential: Not much shading seen.
    Sheen: Some pinkish red sheen seen.
    Show-Through: Some seen on several papers.
    Bleed-Through: Some seen on several papers.
    Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Not seen.
    Nib Creep / “Crud”: Not seen.
    Staining (pen): Not seen after several days in the pen. Easy clean-up with warm water.
    Staining (hands): Clean after one wash.
    Clogging: Not seen. Seems unlikely.
    Water resistance: Not sold as waterproof and has no water resistance.
    Availability: 80ml glass bottles or 30ml plastic bottles exclusively available from Cult Pens, UK.

My thanks to Cult Pens for sending me this sample to review.

Cult Pens Taj Mahal M.jpg
    Last edited by Chrissy; July 5th, 2022 at 09:05 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

damfino (July 6th, 2022), junglejim (July 3rd, 2022), Marsilius (July 1st, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (July 1st, 2022), TSherbs (July 1st, 2022), Yazeh (July 1st, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Default Re: Ink Review: Cult Pens Taj Mahal - New Wonders of the World series - Diamine Exclu

a nice blue, but I'm spooked by your reference to bleed-through

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Default Re: Ink Review: Cult Pens Taj Mahal - New Wonders of the World series - Diamine Exclu

ouch

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

I'm going to get out another sheet of paper in order to check that it's the same on both sheets.

I got a new piece of paper from the original packet and have rewritten it all out again. Although there is still some show through and a few dots of bleed through it's not nearly as bad as it was. I can only assume that when I added some ColorPrint sheets onto the stack in the printer to print them as Ink Review Sampler forms I miscounted and it printed on one of the regular printer sheets at the bottom of the stack. Those sheets are Xerox Premier 100gms. That paper is cheaper than the ColorPrint I use for ink reviews and is not as smoothly coated. I bought it by mistake and just stuck it in the printer. Lesson learned - be more careful about counting sheets of paper.

Cult Pens Taj Mahal S.jpg
    Last edited by Chrissy; July 2nd, 2022 at 12:54 PM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (July 1st, 2022)

Thanks

Stop enabling...I just recieved my Sheaffer Renegade blue.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (July 1st, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Thanks for the review Chrissy. Kudos to you
    Though, I'm not impressed with the colour. It really looks like a copout from Diamine.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (July 1st, 2022)