Thread: (vintage) Pelikan 4001 Briillant Blue

Thanks
    Thanked 7,814 Times in 1,426 Posts

Default (vintage) Pelikan 4001 Brillant Blue

Among fountain pen enthusiasts, ink reviews are very popular.

I have never cared much for inks or colors and mostly use black ink. But I was once asked to review an ink that has long been discontinued. The ink is Pelikan 4001 Brillant Blue.

This is kind of a personal ink review because thanks to my mother I have come into the possession of a small stock of pretty old ink bottles. Although she wrote with a Montblanc since the age of 16, she always used Pelikan ink, probably for reasons of better availability. To stand out from the rest of her class in school (as she herself pointed out), she chose Brilliant Blue instead of the common 4001 Royal Blue.

Since I had no experience with the presentation of inks before , I have long thought about how I could best present and convey this color tone. Since I often work professionally with the "Natural Color System "*, it seemed obvious to me to use this for the determination of the color tone of the brilliant blue.

* https://ncscolour.com/de/ncs/

The NCS system arranges color tones within a "color circle" and nuances (ratio of color tone, white and black) within a "color triangle". Together this results in a body of rotation (double cone) called "color space" by NCS.

the picture explains exemplary the coding system

NCS has extensive color guides that allow the color to be taken directly from the object with a little practice. In the case of brilliant blue, this is the color shade NCS S 4050-B, which comes closest to the ink.

The color is a pure blue, lying exactly between green and red on the color wheel and opposite yellow. The brightness is 4 on a scale of 1-10 from white to black and the color component is 6 on a scale of 1-10 from achromatic to chromatic.

I applied the ink with a brush, dripped it with the eyedropper, and put it to paper with two different fountain pens. I chose a Montblanc 254 with EF nib (my mother's fountain pen) and an Osmia Supra Extra, which has a wet soft stub nib. As a canvas I have used a good watercolor paper.

The ink is from a used ink bottle from the 60's. I did not touch the bottle from the 50's because it seemed unused to me. Perhaps it also needs to be mentioned that this is Swiss made ink. However, I assume that the original recipe was strictly adhered to and that the ink does not differ from that of German production.

[/url]

The stationer's Schoch still exists today and was my mother's main supplier as far as I can remember.

PS: This is the only ink of interest that I own, so please don't expect a sequel.
    Last edited by christof; July 3rd, 2022 at 09:29 AM.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

bunnspecial (October 31st, 2022), carlos.q (July 1st, 2022), catbert (July 1st, 2022), Chrissy (July 2nd, 2022), Cyril (July 3rd, 2022), joolstacho (September 5th, 2022), junglejim (July 3rd, 2022), mizgeorge (September 5th, 2022), Robert (July 2nd, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (July 2nd, 2022), TSherbs (July 2nd, 2022), Yazeh (July 1st, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 396 Posts

Default Re: (vintage) Pelikan 4001 Briillant Blue

This is the only ink of interest that I own, so please don't expect a sequel.
    I respect that. At our [s] pen [s/] ink club, I was asked what colors of ink I use. I replied,"Pelikan Royal Blue." "....and?" "Pelikan Royal Blue." They just stared at me for a moment, and went back to talking ink.

A couple of months ago one of the guys asked me, "So, when you don't use Pelikan Royal Blue, what color do you use?" My answer was, "Pelikan black." He grinned and said, "Well played."

One color simplifies life, and also establishes a frame of reference when I test the pens I've repaired. I buy it by the liter.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

christof (July 2nd, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Great review @christof, thanks for sharing the personal story and the detailed review. Though unlike you, inks interest me more than pens

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

christof (July 2nd, 2022), mizgeorge (September 5th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Thank you for the excellent review christof.
    When updating the ink review index I didn't know if I should be spelling this as brillant or brilliant.
    On checking I found that on bottles it's Brillant-blau in German, Bleu brillant in French, Blu brillante in Spanish and Brilliant blue in English. So in the end I stuck with brilliant blue. It translates as bright or brilliant blue. I always think that Royal blues lean a bit more purple/red.
    Last edited by Chrissy; July 2nd, 2022 at 04:09 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

very cool, Christof

Thank you for sharing!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Enjoyed the review, christof, and your photos are stunning.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you @Christof for this exclusive review. It is Well-done with fantastic illustrative drawings and your photography is..."LE CHERRY SUR LA GATEAUX "
    Big bravo as usual>>>>

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

christof (July 3rd, 2022)

Thanks

I didn't know about Brilliant Blue.
    Looks like a great ink.

Well they killed off Brilliant Green, a fine shading ink, replacing it with Dull Green, which don't shade..........but some folks didn't like a fine green-green ink, and refused to buy the many Diamine dull forest greens.

Some 12/13 or so years ago, before I was into ink, and was at a flea market where I was looking for pens. This person had a mountain of old Pelikan cartridges. I bought a few packs of Pelikans inks in cartridges. They use to have at least some 15 inks.

I only bought 10 packs of assorted inks....and being foolish, didn't go back and buy lots of those W.Germany inks.

There were two great grays, a silver gray and a real nice regular gray.
    A real fine orange..........and some real girly colors, rose and lilac and so on, that I eventually passed on a decade later to and Ink 'girl'.

It's one of those days when one did not rent a size 19 boot. I was not into cartridge, just piston pens. And was still noobie enough not to realize how rare those many old inks were.

Who knows there could have been Brilliant Blue, I mistook for Royal Blue.