Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Contraception

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

Default Re: Contraception

Chuck, a vasectomy is a highly effective (and, mostly, permanent) form of surgical contraception for those men who chose to go that route. It is not what most men choose, however, and of course no women choose it. But it works very well for those men interested in "permanent" sterility.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Chuck, a vasectomy is a highly effective (and, mostly, permanent) form of surgical contraception for those men who chose to go that route. It is not what most men choose, however, and of course no women choose it. But it works very well for those men interested in "permanent" sterility.

Exactly.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 632 Posts

For those concerned with the historical roots of the recent decision by the Catholic majority on the Supreme Court, I recommend looking up the Papal Bull by Innocent (hah!) VIII, Summis desiderantes.

Its main purpose was to give jurisdictional authority to two inquisitors, Heinrich Kramer and Jacob Sprenger, to prosecute witches in various parts of Germany. These two German Dominicans, both theologians, had been encountering resistance to their inquisition from local secular authorities, who also claimed jurisdiction over witchcraft. The bull marks a significant change in the definition of the crime of witchcraft, which it defined exclusively in terms of maleficia, especially the impeding of fertility.

Seems there's a sort of uber-Originalism afoot.

Welcome to the Inquisition v. 2.0.
    Last edited by Chip; July 26th, 2022 at 05:02 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (July 26th, 2022)

Thanks

That document also ascribes erectile dysfunction (and/or lack of desire) to the work of the devil. Lord knows it couldn't have a more rational explanation.

I wonder if Brett Kavanaugh thinks the devil was at work in him at certain high school drinking parties.

Thanks

I wonder if Brett Kavanaugh thinks the devil was at work in him at certain high school drinking parties.
    Nope. He thinks the devil inspired those who opposed his nomination.

Alito told him so.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 662 Posts

A commentary from Medscape
    COMMENTARY

Legal Abortion Is a Matter of Public Health
    Caroline Depuydt, MD

DISCLOSURES July 27, 2022
    BRUSSELS — On June 24, the US Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, a decision that was issued in 1973. From now on, each state will be able to choose the laws that it wants to put in place regarding abortion. Several states have already decided to ban abortion altogether. As a physician, but also as a woman, I am stunned to see this opposition to a right that, in my opinion, is also a matter of public health.

International Data
    In Belgium, voluntary termination of pregnancy (VTP) has been allowed since 1990. Except in the case of a serious medical problem, the abortion must take place before the end of the 12th week after conception. So, 14 weeks from the last menstrual period (LMP).

Beyond that timeframe, a VTP can be performed only when the continuation of the pregnancy endangers the health of the woman or when it is certain that the unborn child will be affected by a condition of particular gravity and recognized as incurable at the time of diagnosis. This is referred to as termination for medical reasons (TFMR).

First Observation
    The annual number of VTPs did not climb following legalization. For the past 20 years in Belgium, that number has remained stable, hovering around 19,000. Abortion continues to be an action — neither trivialized nor minimized — that is difficult for any woman to take, no matter what her reason.

Second Observation
    Over 60% of women who had an abortion were using a form of contraception. So, while the burden of contraception still rests almost exclusively on the woman, it cannot be said that those who had a VTP did not use some method of birth control.

Even more important, legal abortions have very few complications, either physical or psychological. Studies show that pregnancy itself carries a higher risk for psychopathological manifestations than a VTP. These VTPs are safe, and women quickly recover from them. The most sensitive time seems to be the period before the abortion, and it's at this stage that most of the psychological and psychopathological manifestations accumulate. The majority of women facing a VTP experience feelings of relief, and only a minority develop psychological problems, usually when there is already a history of mental disorder. The literature shows that the levels of anxiety and depression decrease in the month following the abortion. Being denied a VTP, on the other hand, significantly increases the woman's risk of developing a mental disorder.

Should a VTP be denied, a woman, if she determines that she doesn't have any other choice, may then end up turning to a back-alley abortion. The methods used for this are medieval, dangerous, and may not prove successful — things like using chemicals, piercing the amniotic sac with a needle or sharp object (the famous coat hanger), eating or drinking abortifacient herbs, taking large quantities of medication, punching the stomach, falling down stairs, and engaging in intense physical exercise.

From there, these risky methods inevitably lead to numerous complications: incomplete abortions, infections, septicemia, breakthrough bleeding, subsequent sterility, laceration of the uterine wall, or death.

Around one third of women who undergo risky abortions develop complications, while less than half receive care.
    The World Health Organization estimates that back-alley abortions represent 49% of abortions worldwide. It puts the number of illegal abortions performed each year at 20 million.

Each year, around 60,000 women worldwide die as a result of an unsafe VTP. That's one woman every 9 minutes. And odds are that these figures are underestimated.

Making the decision to resort to a VTP is always difficult. Ideally, you should be able to discuss it with your partner, when there is one, and with your close friends and family, to have someone go with you as support, to weigh the pros and cons, and to make a choice in line with your convictions and your conscience. But first and foremost, the law must guarantee the right to be able to ask oneself this question, because guaranteeing this right is also guaranteeing the health and safety of women, and that is why this remains a public health imperative.
    Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lloyd For This Useful Post:

Chip (July 29th, 2022), TSherbs (July 28th, 2022)

Thanks

I saw an interesting explanation of why Republicans are so anti-abortion. Republicans are lizard people. As lizard people, they consider babies a delicacy like caviar or truffles. Abortion was reducing the number of babies available for eating. Hence the revocation of Roe v. Wade.

Thanks

In February 2011, on the Opie and Anthony radio show, the comedian Louis C.K. jokingly asked former U.S. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld a number of times if he and Dick Cheney were lizard people who enjoyed the taste of human flesh. Amused by Rumsfeld's refusal to directly answer the question, C.K. suggested it as a possible admission of guilt. He went on to further muse that perhaps those who are lizard people cannot lie about it; when asked if they are lizards, they either have to avoid answering the question or say yes.

Thanks

Contraception has worked for some here, a good thing.

Thanks

Here come the crazy bills. Not surprised to see this one come out of Indiana. Let's see, in ten years, how many female college graduates they can hold on to in their state. Maine has a problem holding onto its young college graduates, too, but for different reasons.

The Balkanization of America continues.

https://apnews.com/article/abortion-...e2968c5473681a

Thanks

Here come the crazy bills. Not surprised to see this one come out of Indiana. Let's see, in ten years, how many female college graduates they can hold on to in their state. Maine has a problem holding onto its young college graduates, too, but for different reasons.

The Balkanization of America continues.

https://apnews.com/article/abortion-...e2968c5473681a
    Agreed.
    Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Thanks

The article isn't there anymore

M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect
    The link works for me

Thanks

The link works for me

Strange... I've tried 3 different apps and no luck.

Thanks

The link works for me

Strange... I've tried 3 different apps and no luck.

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Indiana state senators narrowly passed a near-total abortion ban Saturday during a rare weekend session, sending the bill to the House after a contentious week of arguments over whether to allow exceptions for rape and incest.

The Republican-controlled Senate voted 26-20 after about three hours of debate, passing the bill with the minimum 26 votes needed to send it on to the House, which Republicans also control.

The bill would prohibit abortions from the time a fertilized egg implants in a uterus. Exceptions would be allowed in cases of rape and incest, but a patient seeking an abortion for either reason would have to sign a notarized affidavit attesting to the attack.

Indiana is one of the first Republican-controlled states to debate tighter abortion laws since the U.S. Supreme Court last month overturned the precedent establishing a national right to an abortion.

But the GOP splintered after the rape and incest exceptions remained in the bill Thursday when an amendment failed that would have stripped out those exceptions.

Ten Republican senators voted against the legislation Saturday, including a handful who support abortion rights.

One of them, Republican Sen. Vaneta Becker of Evansville, said the measure will interfere with women’s medical choices, their lives and free will by setting strict limits on abortion access in Indiana.

“Women deserve to have us protect their lives and free will. Senate Bill 1 destroys both. Shame on us for doing this,” she said, noting that only eight of Senate’s 50 members are women.

“We are considering dictating medical decisions with blinders and ignorant of the astounding, unintended consequences we are creating,” Becker warned, saying the Senate is “just making a mess.”

Republican Sen. Mike Young, whose amendment calling for no exceptions except for the life of the mother previously failed, said he voted against the bill not because he agrees with its opponents but because he has qualms with some aspects of the legislation he hopes are addressed.

Young said one provision that concerns him states that a doctor can perform an abortion if he believes a woman’s life is in danger but it doesn’t require the doctor to inform that woman that her life is in danger.

“She may never know the reasons why. I just think it’s important when a person makes the most important decision of their life they ought to know if their life is in danger, and what are the reasons why it’s in danger,” he said.

GOP Sen. Sue Glick of LaGrange, who authored the abortion bill, said during the debate she doesn’t expect the legislation approved by the Senate to be the final version the legislature passes. She called the Senate bill “an expression of where we believe the state of Indiana is right now.”

The legislation’s passage “is a huge step forward in protecting the life of the unborn children in our state,” Glick said in a statement after the bill’s approval.

“We have put together a bill that would not criminalize women and would protect the unborn whose voices have been silenced for the past 50 years under Roe v Wade,” she added.

Ten of the Senate’s 11 Democrats voted against the bill, with the 11th member absent for Saturday’s debate.

Democratic Sen. Tim Lanane of Anderson condemned the bill as a product of a male-dominated Legislature that’s poised to take away the control that pregnant women should have over their own bodies.

“This is the government, the male-dominated government of the state of Indiana, saying to the women of this state, you lose your choice,” he said. “We’ve told you — papa state, big state government — is going to tell you what you will do with your body. And I don’t think we’re ready for that.”

The bill now heads to the House, where proposed changes could come as soon as next week — the second week of lawmakers’ three-week special session. Lawmakers must adjourn their session by Aug. 14.

House Speaker Todd Huston on Friday declined to discuss specifics of the Senate bill. But he said he supports the rape and incest exceptions.

Gov. Eric Holcomb said earlier this summer that he had no “red lines” on what anti-abortion measures lawmakers might consider. But on July 12 Holcomb sidestepped taking a stance on how far the Republican-dominated Legislature should go in restricting abortions in its special session.

A national poll this month found an overwhelming majority of Americans believe their state should generally allow abortion in specific cases, including if a woman’s life is endangered or if the pregnancy is the result of rape or incest. Few think abortion should always be illegal, according to The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research poll.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (July 31st, 2022)

Thanks

Scary.....

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Yeah, it's Mike Pence country

22. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (August 1st, 2022)

Thanks

Republican theme song:

We did it before, and we can do it again,
    We can do it again.

We did it before.

We'll do it again!

Thanks

Liberal theme song:

Don't know much about history
    Don't know much biology
    Don't know much about science book
    Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.