Thread: FS (VINTAGE): CONKLINS - Crescent-Filler 20 | Endura Symetrik | Lizard | "Nozac"

Thanks

Default FS (VINTAGE): CONKLINS - Crescent-Filler 20 | Endura Symetrik | Lizard | "Nozac"

Album with full-sized photos and numbering: https://imgur.com/a/rExWh14

Condition (n.b.): All pens listed below have been disassembled, cleaned and restored with new sacs installed in the last couple weeks. *Each of these pens is guaranteed to fill and write as designed without leaks or other problems. Nibs have been adjusted when necessary to ensure that all lay down a smooth and consistent line.*

THESE PENS HAVE NO CRACKS (except nib of #3), CHIPS, PERSONALIZATIONS, LOOSE OR MISSING PARTS, BENT NIBS, MISALIGNED TINES, BROKEN/WORN OFF TIPPING, OR THREADING ISSUES.

Line Widths and Writing Samples: To provide buyers with as much information as possible, I have started to adopt the following line width standards: XXF (.1-.2mm); XF (approx .3mm); F (approx .4mm); M (approx .6mm); B (approx .8mm). Nib flexibility is determined by variation (max line width under pressure) and softness (amount of pressure). Flexibility designations based on variation generally run as follows for an XF/F nib: Semi-Flex (approx. 1mm); Flex (1.4-1.9mm); Superflex (>2mm). All line width measurements are taken with a digital caliper but should be considered approximations providing a general guide. Width may vary slightly depending on type of ink and paper used as well as amount of pressure applied. All writing samples are on Rhodia dot paper using Waterman Serenity Blue.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**1. c.1908 Conklin Crescent Filler S2** (MHR, GPT, Crescent filler, 14k B Superflex Factory Stub nib). This full-length, standard sized model measures a hair over 5" capped. I've always had a soft spot for the Crescent filler. Something about its 100+ y/o obsolescent design appeals to me, the same once touted by Mark Twain in adverts to be filled with one hand and never roll off a desk. This is an early slip-cap Crescent-Filler in gorgeous, mottled hard rubber. MHR Crescent fillers were phased out c1910, so they're far scarcer than the BHR siblings. This pen came clipless from the factory (no holes drilled for a clip or ringtop in the cap) as Conklin's patented rocker clip would not appear until 1918. Gold-filled crescent is marked "Crescent-Filler / Trademark" on one side, unmarked on the other. The Crescent-Filler is one of the most simple and durable filling systems among sacced pens. To fill one simply rotates the knurled lock-ring to the open position and depresses the crescent once with the nib submersed. Super-Flexible 14k Conklin Toledo #2 nib is also a factory Stub. Unflexed, it lays down a smooth and consistent B line on the down-strokes and XF line on the cross-strokes. Under light pressure, that line widens to a 4B+ (approx 2.4mm) (see [WRITING SAMPLE](https://imgur.com/8oSDNhF)). A versatile nib with nice, wet flow ideal for adding style to everyday writing as it is to calligraphic styles. **Condition:** excellent [B]. Hard rubber retains its dark black and vibrant red colors with no oxidation aside from a light dusting over the barrel imprints. Surface is smooth and lustrous with no deep scratches or other notable blemishes apart from one flat spot of wear toward the end of the barrel ([DETAIL PHOTO](https://imgur.com/P5vaDCe)). Gold-plated crescent shows no notable wear. Main (left) side of manufacturer imprint on the barrel is fully legible but trademark (right) side is mostly worn away. A beautiful example of this hard-to-find pen with a wild nib. Price: $460~~ SOLD

2. 1920-5 Conklin Crescent Filler 20 (BCHR, GFT, Crescent filler, 14k XXF/XF Superflex nib). Conklin increased the size of their Crescent Filler when they started making them with threaded caps. This full-length, standard sized model measures 5 5/16" capped. For more on Conklin's Crescent Filler, see description for #1 above. By the 1920s, Conklin had perfected the design of the Crescent-Filler, which now featured their patented hinged/rocker clip and a threaded cap. With an eye to this new cap design, which seals the section to the inner cap when the pen is capped, Conklin dubbed models of this type "Non Leakable" (NL), a designation dropped in c.1920 since it distinguished their pen from others (most pens having adopted this innovation). The model 2NL was accordingly replaced by the 20 in Conklin catalogues. This 20 is made of black chased hard rubber with heavy 14k gold filled trim (stamped '14k 1/5' on the cap band). The Crescent-Filler is one of the most simple and durable filling systems among sacced pens. To fill one simply rotates the knurled lock-ring to the open position and depresses the crescent once with the nib submersed. Long-tined 14k Conklin Toledo #2 nib is a Super-Flexible writer, laying down a smooth and consistent XXF/XF line that widens to an impressive 4B++ (approx 2.7mm) under light pressure (see WRITING SAMPLE: https://imgur.com/Zq5Mca1) - please excuse the feathering; I switched inks for the sample and there must've been some water still in the pen). Thin hairlines, strong snap-back, and reliable flow over its full range of flex make it a perfect choice for calligraphic writing styles such as Copperplate and Spencerian. Keep in mind that I needed to go with a wetter ink to keep up with the flow it requires – Waterman was railroading under full flex unless I wrote *very* slowly. Switching inks solved the problem entirely, so a wet ink is recommended in this pen. Condition: Hard rubber retains its factory black color with no fading. Chasing is factory deep and crisp with no discernible wear (this is what it's *supposed* to look like!). Surface is smooth and lustrous with no deep scratches or other notable blemishes. Gold-plated trim is clean aside from a spot of brassing on the top edge of the clip. Manufacturer imprints on the barrel are factory deep and fully legible. Price: $280

**3. 1920-5 Conklin Crescent Filler 40** (BCHR, GFT, Crescent filler, 14k XXF Superflex nib). This oversized model has a thick girth and measures 5 3/8" capped – a large pen by vintage standards. For more on Conklin Crescents, see descriptions for #1 and #2 above. Made of black, chased hard rubber, this deluxe model has a rocker clip that raises at the bottom when the top is depressed and a wide, heavy autograph cap band designed for personalized engraving. To fill one simply rotates the knurled lock-ring to the open position and depresses the crescent once with the nib submersed. Impressively large and long-tined 14k Conklin Toledo #4 nib was expertly re-tipped by Greg Minuskin and is guaranteed to please. It's capable of Super-flexible variation, laying down a smooth and consistent XF line that widens to a 4B+(approx 2.4mm) under light pressure (see [WRITING SAMPLE](https://imgur.com/y0QY8qF)). Thin hairlines, superbly responsive snap-back, and reliable flow over its full range of flex make it another excellent choice for calligraphic writing styles such as Copperplate and Spencerian. **Condition:** excellent/near mint. This pen comes from my personal collection and I "traded up" several times to find one this nice. The body is near mint. Hard rubber retains its factory black color with no fading. Chasing is factory deep and crisp with no discernible wear (this is what it's *supposed* to look like!). Surface is smooth and lustrous with no deep scratches or other notable blemishes. Gold-plated trim is clean pristine – no brassing or other notable blemishes. There is a truly beautiful personalization in elegant Copperplate script on the back of the cap, which always enhanced its value in my eyes ([DETAIL PHOTO](https://imgur.com/PzrBG9V)). Manufacturer imprints on the barrel are factory deep and fully legible. The only notable flaw is located on the shoulder of the nib, where there its scratched/crimped but not cracked ([DETAIL PHOTO](https://imgur.com/MokPA3Y)). A museum-grade pen and another lovely writer. Price: $380 $ SOLD

4. c.1930 Conklin Endura Symetrik (Black & Bronze, celluloid, GPT, lever filler, 14k XF Semi-Flex nib). This standard sized model measures 5 1/4" capped. The Endura Symetrik was a response to the growing fashion of symettrically streamlined pens in the late 20s, arguably inaugurated by Sheaffer's Balance. It was essentially an Endura with a facelift. This is a fine example of Conklin’s premier model at the time, with gold inlaid crescent logo in the cap signifying Conklin's lifetime guarantee. A motif elegantly repeated on the lever and breather hole of the nib, hearkening back to the Conklin Crescent Fillers above: the pens that put the company on the map. Semi-Flexible 14k Conklin Endura nib lays down a smooth and consistent XF line with some variation (max line width of approx 1.3mm) under moderate pressure (see WRITING SAMPLE:https://imgur.com/5xywV7V). Condition: Color shows no darkening but some of the bronze portions have lost some of their original pearlescence. Gold-plated trim is clean aside from brassing to the top and bottom of the clip as well as on the bottom cap band on the sides of the cap. Celluloid has a smooth, lustrous finish with no notable blemishes. Manufacturer imprint on barrel is is sharp, deep, and fully legible. Price: $200

5. 1930s Conklin All American (Lizard grey pearl, celluloid, GPT, lever filler, 14k XF Flex/Superflex). This standard sized model measures 5" capped. Some of Conklin's most unusual and unusually eye-catching celluloid pens were actually student pens and sub-brands such as this All American. Along with "Halloween" and "Zebra" flat tops, this streamlined Lizard – patterned off the Endura Symetrik above – is among the more desirable of these. It's made of grey pearl celluloid wrapped with a pattern resembling lizard skin. Gold-plated trim with double cap bands and Conklin's patented rocker clip. Barrel imprint reads: "The All American Pen / A Conklin Product." The only other one of these I sold had a thin gold nib typical of a sub-brand that is stamped "All American." 14k Conklin Toledo #2 nib possibly a replacement/upgrade. That nib yields Super-Flexible variation with Flexible softness, laying down a smooth and consistent XF line that widens to a 4B+ (approx 2.0mm) under moderate pressure (see WRITING SAMPLE: https://imgur.com/2CdC65o). Thin hairlines, responsive snap-back, and reliable flow over its full range of flex make it a great choice for expressive and calligraphic writing styles. Condition: near mint. This is the nicest example of this pen I've ever seen, by a long chalk. Gold-plated trim is pristine with no brassing or other notable wear. Celluloid has a smooth, lustrous finish with no notable blemishes - scarcely even any microscratches! Manufacturer imprint on barrel is factory deep and fully legible. Price: $270

6. 1930s Conklin Sub-Endura (grey pearl w/ black veins and red flecks, celluloid, white metal trim, lever filler, 14k XXF/XF Flex). This short, standard girth model measures 4 1/2" capped and 5 3/8" posted. Some time back I was looking for one of these for my personal collection (pens with white metal trim is my collecting focus) and it took me years to find one in decent shape. Not at all a common pen. This one is made of grey pearl celluloid interspersed with black veins and brilliant red flecks. Unlike almost all other Conklins before the Nozac, which had gold-plated trim, this one is plated with white metal (rhodium?). Its streamlined design is patterned from the Symetrik and it has the same double cap bands and rocker clip. Flexible 14k Conklin Toledo nib lays down a smooth and consistent XXF/XF line that widens to a 3B+ (approx 1.7mm) under moderate pressure (see WRITING SAMPLE: https://imgur.com/QOuRnee). Thin hairlines, responsive snap-back, and reliable flow over its full range of flex make it a great choice for expressive writing styles. Condition: The barrel bears the heatstamped name of "Helen Sundby." The same Helen photographed here as an accomplished bowler in Madison, Wisconsin? (LINK: https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Image/IM106455). Hard to say. Whoever she was, she certainly took good care of her pens as this'n shows little wear a'tall and is otherwise near mint. Comparatively delicate white metal trim is astonishingly pristine with no brassing or other notable wear. Celluloid has a smooth, lustrous finish with no notable blemishes - scarcely even any microscratches! Manufacturer imprint on barrel is factory deep and fully legible. The perfect pen to record your strikes at the alley. Price: $170

7. 1930s Conklin "Nozac" Lever Filler (black, celluloid, GPT, lever filler, 14k F Flex nib). This short, standard girth model measures 4 5/8" capped and 5 3/8" posted. I collected Conklins for years without even knowing that these exist. Conklin's patented Nozac was a piston-filler touted for its sacless reliability and ink capacity (hence the name). Why then would the company manufacture a Nozac lever filler with a sac?! Well, some pen scholars (most notably Jim Mamoulides) has argued that thy didn't. According to him, this pen is no Nozac at all, even as it shares the same faceted construction clip and cap band. This would do much to explain why this one lacks a Nozac imprint on the barrel (no imprint at all, in fact). But since this pen lacks an official designation by Conklin, as far as I know, I've opted to scare-quote "Nozac" and specify "lever filler" for sake of simplicity. This pen is made of black celluloid with a faceted cap and barrel. Gold plated trim includes patented rocker clip in the later, acuminate style of the Nozac as well as lever identical to that of the pen beside it but for the lack of imprints. 14k Conklin Endura nib is probably anachronistic, though I haven't an inkling as to what sort of nib this pen should have. It's a Flexible writer that lays down a smooth and consistent F line, which widens to a 3B+ (approx 1.7mm) under moderate pressure (see WRITING SAMPLE:https://imgur.com/UNn7hpa). Pleasant smoothness, good snap-back, and reliable flow over its full range of flex make it a great choice for expressive writing styles. Condition: Gold-plated trim is pristine with no brassing or other notable wear. Celluloid has a smooth, lustrous finish with no notable blemishes apart from some short scratches and pin-sized marks here and there (very minor, nothing so large as to extend across multiple facets). Manufacturer imprint on barrel is factory deep and fully legible. A curious pen much tougher to find than a piston-filling Nozac (redundant?). Price: $190

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shipping: Pens purchased on the weekend are mailed on Tuesday. Otherwise they are mailed within 2 business days of payment. All pens that do not come with their original boxes are packaged in PVC or thick plastic tubes to protect them in transit. To CONUS locations the following shipping options are available:

USPS Priority with tracking for $9

International Customers: Please contact me for shipping quote if located abroad (delivery confirmation required). Please do not ask me to commit mail fraud by altering the declared value of a pen for customs. Not only am I registered as a business but shipping insurance is based on declared value.

New York Customers: For tax purposes, I am now required to add an 8% sales tax on any sale made in the state of NY. If your shipping address is in NY state, please let me know before payment to receive an adjusted total. Discounted shipping is included for NY State residents to help defray the extra cost.

Ordering: Pens are placed on hold for the first person to PM me with firm request to purchase.

Payment, & Guarantee: Payment by Paypal only. All pens are guaranteed to be in the condition in which I've described them. If I've missed something objectionable or the filling mechanism is not fully functional, the buyer may contact me up to 7 days after receiving the pen for a full refund (issued once I receive the pen back in the same condition as sold). Buyer must ship the return no later than 2 weeks after it was delivered to receive a refund. I've sold pens online for over a decade. Please check Reddit's r/pen_swap (u/popcodswallop) for my other open listings as well as the historical sales forum of FPN (username: Estragon) for my past offerings.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    aka Estragon (FPN); popcodswallop (Reddit)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Trim! –> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein); Balance (grey/red fleck) | First-Yr Crest (silver cap); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, ebonized pearl, green) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: Half Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers from Diamond Medal and Webster (silver web, pinstripe, etc.)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to popcod For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (July 3rd, 2022)